Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Intake Mod - Kinetix Upper Plenum & Mrev2 Lower

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2008 | 05:15 PM
so which is better: Christianity or Islam? Discuss...

Old 03-18-2008 | 05:19 PM
scientology

Old 03-18-2008 | 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by pavelpg
can you guys just agree to disagree and tell me something about the low-to-mid power robbing capabilities of the spacers?

I just wanna know if I should get the MREV2 by itself or the MREV2 + any kind of spacer or plenum mod.

My goals: low end and mid range power/acceleration.

Dynos show that the 5/16 spacer actually decreases the mid-range of power with the combination of MREV2 as opposed to the MREV2 by itself. Only by a little though, I am not saying it's night and day, but every little bit adds up. Now I am wondering if the 1/2 spacer or the plenums (Kinetix V+) would do even more of this "power robbing" on the mid-range, since it seems increasing volume in the upper plenum with the MREV2 seems to decrease mid range to lift the high end power up. Not to mention, the spacer doesn't make any difference in the low-end.

Recap: adding a spacer to MREV2 seems to make no low end gains, decreases mid-range power, and lifts up the high-end. For my goals, this seems opposite of what I want, but I want to hear some opinions from people who have tried these setups separately and perhaps hear from people with similar goals as mine.

Here is the dyno I'm talking about. Notice the GREEN line is the MREV2 by itself and the BLUE line is the MREV2 + 5/16 spacer. Take a look at mid-range and then the high end. It's great that there is bigger peak power near redline, but to me low and mid ranges are more important.

http://motordyneengineering.com/imag...page_large.jpg

No one's been able to clearly say whether the spacers will actually reduce mid and low range power. And whether the size of the spacer correlates to more robbing of that mid range power. People who put on the MREV2 and spacer AT THE SAME TIME do not really count in terms of answering my question, because I am fully aware that the combination is superior to stock. That is not what I want to question about. I want to question about the difference between MREV2 by itself and MREV2 with any kind of spacer/plenum modification.
I've addressed it in a couple of posts...

Old 03-18-2008 | 05:22 PM
scientology
LOL, you got proof of that?

Old 03-18-2008 | 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by lekker_droom
LOL, you got proof of that?
Let me pull out the dyno from last year's religion dyno derby.

Old 03-18-2008 | 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
the concern you have hasn't happened to my car... I have Crawford, but know several people with FI, it's a good choice too.
Ah gotcha. Didnt see this post earlier! sorry!

Old 03-18-2008 | 05:36 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
Actually I went back and reread your post. Your 1st post asks about multiple situations. Though the discussion, it seems you got your info on all but your last one. Which didn't become clear until now. Your previous posts regarding the torque loss wasn't clear if it was vs stock or w/ or w/o the spacer + MREV.

In your particular case, I agree, it seems you would experience a torque loss with the 1/2" spacer + MREV vs the MREV alone. But both are above stock.

So your thinking is correct. The MREV alone might be a good choice. Although at some later time, I think you could gain the minor torque loss back with a ecu retune if you decide to go with the 5/16" spacer also.

It's difficult to really examine that dyno sheet as the increments are in 30-40hp chunks. But you can see the MREV line IS above the others 99% of the time.

Originally Posted by pavelpg
can you guys just agree to disagree and tell me something about the low-to-mid power robbing capabilities of the spacers?

I just wanna know if I should get the MREV2 by itself or the MREV2 + any kind of spacer or plenum mod.

My goals: low end and mid range power/acceleration.

Dynos show that the 5/16 spacer actually decreases the mid-range of power with the combination of MREV2 as opposed to the MREV2 by itself. Only by a little though, I am not saying it's night and day, but every little bit adds up. Now I am wondering if the 1/2 spacer or the plenums (Kinetix V+) would do even more of this "power robbing" on the mid-range, since it seems increasing volume in the upper plenum with the MREV2 seems to decrease mid range to lift the high end power up. Not to mention, the spacer doesn't make any difference in the low-end.

Recap: adding a spacer to MREV2 seems to make no low end gains, decreases mid-range power, and lifts up the high-end. For my goals, this seems opposite of what I want, but I want to hear some opinions from people who have tried these setups separately and perhaps hear from people with similar goals as mine.

Here is the dyno I'm talking about. Notice the GREEN line is the MREV2 by itself and the BLUE line is the MREV2 + 5/16 spacer. Take a look at mid-range and then the high end. It's great that there is bigger peak power near redline, but to me low and mid ranges are more important.

http://motordyneengineering.com/imag...page_large.jpg

No one's been able to clearly say whether the spacers will actually reduce mid and low range power. And whether the size of the spacer correlates to more robbing of that mid range power. People who put on the MREV2 and spacer AT THE SAME TIME do not really count in terms of answering my question, because they would not have experienced the difference between MREV2 by itself and then experienced what happened after adding the spacer. I am fully aware that the combination of spacer and MREV2 is superior to stock. That is not what I want to question about. I want to question about the difference between MREV2 by itself and MREV2 with any kind of spacer/plenum modification.

Old 03-18-2008 | 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Actually I went back and reread your post. Your 1st post asks about multiple situations. Though the discussion, it seems you got your info on all but your last one. Which didn't become clear until now. Your previous posts regarding the torque loss wasn't clear if it was vs stock or w/ or w/o the spacer + MREV.

In your particular case, I agree, it seems you would experience a torque loss with the 1/2" spacer + MREV vs the MREV alone. But both are above stock.

So your thinking is correct. The MREV alone might be a good choice. Although at some later time, I think you could gain the minor torque loss back with a ecu retune if you decide to go with the 5/16" spacer also.

It's difficult to really examine that dyno sheet as the increments are in 30-40hp chunks. But you can see the MREV line IS above the others 99% of the time.
I think you're right about gaining that back with a proper tune and I already have several other flow applications that might change that loss in the mid-range from adding the spacer into a gain. I already have intake, y-pipe and midpipe/mufflers. Also thinking of the HFC's that OCG35 mentioned to improve his bottom end. Headers are in the works too I think.

Good feedback, thanks guys.

Old 03-19-2008 | 01:32 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
If you want to maximize TQ and midrange power, use the MREV2 with your stock upper plenum. Nothing else.

That will give you the most of what you are looking for.

Tony

Old 04-04-2008 | 08:21 AM
i think im going with the Kinetix V+ and MREV2. i just dont like the look of the stock plenum, and i agree with this dude^. they probably all put out the same numbers regardless of charts and numbers from their website. its all a matter of preference, style and trust in a company.

Old 04-07-2008 | 07:36 PM
i just bought a USED 05 G35 coupe and the prev owner put the kinetix upper plenum on it... i'm a little confused about some of these posts... does that mean i should NOT get a plenum spacer as well?

Old 04-07-2008 | 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by NismoG3505
i just bought a USED 05 G35 coupe and the prev owner put the kinetix upper plenum on it... i'm a little confused about some of these posts... does that mean i should NOT get a plenum spacer as well?
correct. Do not usse spacer with the Kinetix plenum... spacer is for OEM plenum use.

Old 04-08-2008 | 10:54 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
OTOH, you really should use a MREV2 with it.

Old 10-05-2011 | 07:27 PM
i've personally seen and heard the difference of the ssv perhaps the origrinal version had some flaws and issues but the new version kenetix produced creates a deaper intake tone lowers temps if you dont like a product you dont have to trash it unless you've had a first hand experience with something dont believe everything you hear from people saying its a shiny pos

Old 10-05-2011 | 09:30 PM
I have 2006 a/t g35 coupe

should i get space + mrev or just spacer only?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intake Mod - Kinetix Upper Plenum & Mrev2 Lower