Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Kinetix Plenum w/ strut bar for G35- Any Interest?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Kinetix Plenum w/ strut bar for G35- Any Interest?

Ooops, sorry. Many of these are redundant questions that have been asked in another thread... I know, I know. I should use the search function first, yada, yada, ya....

Disregard. [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-11-2004, 07:15 PM

I'm in for the Plenum.

Old 02-12-2004, 08:34 AM

I'm interested in purchasing the Kinetix Plenum but I have a few questions that I'm not sure anyone on this forum can answer yet but I'll throw them out there for discussion anyway...

1. Can the plenum cover fit over the Kinetix?

No, the plenum lacks the bolt holes on the back of the plenum

2. I know there are strong plastics out there but what has been done to prove that this plenum is using high-strength plastics or that it's design is such that it is structurally sound particularly long-term in the summer heat of an engine bay?

Time will tell but lsdunique did a huge amount of R&D regarding issues such as this.

3. I'm not interested in having the "dip" in the plenum to accomodate the strut tower brace since I'm not interested in the STB. Hopefully the vendor will make a "G" version of the plenum that has a smoother (no-dip) design to maximize airflow instead of accomodating the 350Z STB?

Nothing planned right now but who knows. Maybe he will come out with one without the dip if he can't make a STB for the G35.

4. What's the weight savings (if there is any)?

If I remember correctly, the stock plenum weighs 9lbs. The Kinetix weighs in at 5lbs.

5. Anyone have a picture of this design? Does it have the angular edges that the Crawford plenum has or has it been smoothed out a bit?

plenty of pictures over at my350z.com

6. Does it come in different colors?

For right now, just black but I believe you can paint it any color you want.

Old 02-12-2004, 08:34 AM

I wish more people would let LSDunique know that he should make a plenum without a dip. I am not going to put a strut bar on my car, nore are most sedan and FX guys either. His best bet would be for a non dip plenum. If we tell him he will build it...

Luv My G

Old 02-12-2004, 09:42 AM

Molds are expensive. Designing/drawings for a mold are expensive. I don't blame him at all. Crawford builds as he goes, no mold - send the OEM and he gets busy. Yes eliminating the dip could resort to more power (amount unknown). But making another mold to satisfy those who won't buy one because of the dip isn't worth it.

By having a dip he may lose some business, but he still gains all those who don't care. Maybe what all of the anti-dip people should do is get together and pay him upfront for mold, that way you get what you want or you could build your own. Or you could buy a crawford.

LSDunique is positioning himself. His product makes the power, looks great, keeps the OEM in the buyers hands, keeps the STB and works on every G,fx,z. Making one that does not work with the STB brings him closer to crawford.

I plan to fill in the dip and paint it perrty. I may not. I just like it!

G35 Coupe 5AT, DP, Tire and Wheel Pkg., Aluminum Pedals, Clear Corners, missing turbo

Old 02-12-2004, 11:59 AM

I'm not interested in a strut tower brace at the cost of engine power. Hopefully Kinetix will make also make a "non-Z" version of their plenum that will maximize airflow and make more power.

DaveO

2003 G35 Sedan - DP / Willow / AT / Premium / Sport
350Z Engine Cover, T-Stat & Air Duct / Stillen CAI
GG 7-Wire H-G Kit / TechnoSquare ECU / E-Fans
Street Edge TC / B&M Cooler / Stillen Exhaust

Old 02-12-2004, 12:56 PM

I design and engineer injection molds as part of my job. Depending on the material of construction, and it's interaction with the material being molded, it's a fairly simple task to design a mold with an insert that can be removed to make two similar parts with one (or more) major difference. Even after creation of the mold (like in this case), it's still possible (but expensive) to wire out a section (EDM) and build in such an insert.

All that said, the demand has to be there to have the ROI needed for such a task.

Black/Willow 03.5 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, SAT
350Z Nismo CAI

Old 02-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with the idea of removing the depression. But, ya know what, if he does that, he'd be admitting that it cost's power. He's more likely to stick to his claim's that is does not cost power, which I'm not buying into. Who know's, some Z owner's are also asking for the same thing, maybe when business slows after the initial rush of orders, he'll see fit to do a non depression version to capture that market.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 02-13-2004, 12:00 PM

The depression probably doesn't affect performance much, if at all. I'd rather have holes to mount the stock engine cover.

Black/Willow 03.5 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, SAT
350Z Nismo CAI

Old 02-14-2004, 08:48 PM

OK guys, first test of Kinetix Plenum;

"The prototype did experience two leaks. The one leak was prior to any dyno and was fixed with epoxy. The other leak was due to the gasket. LSDUnique stated, that is not the gasket that is shipping with the plenum."

Kinetix is rumored to be releasing prices tomorrow.

IMHO, it still is not clear if the plastic plenum flexs under load and sucks the gasket in. Still no data on heat/cool cycles. Production cars with plastic plenums have a 100% plastic plenum and more R&D. The Kinetix plenum is upper plastic only.

Who wants to be the first to try it and report?

Old 02-14-2004, 10:57 PM

If they came out with a plenum FOR the G35Coupes I would buy... 1. because crawfords is too expensive and looks somewhat ragged... 2. I don't like the idea that we are constantly getting "hand me downs" from the 350Z just because we have the same engine...

ADK

Old 02-15-2004, 01:50 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

How can they come out with a product specific to the coupe given that mechanically all the FM platform stable mates are so much the same? Man, their's so much that comes to mind that we would not have it is wasn't for the Z, I'm very greatfull for that.

The latest version of the Crawford pleneum is the same $395 price as Kinetix. http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...threadid=58942

I'm not thrilled with the looks of either companies pleneum, but I love the power gains the Crawford gave me, so I can over look how it looks.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt