Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Throttle Body spacer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
I highly suggest reading the article attached below. Particular attention should be paid to the last paragraph (however the entire read is worth it). It is all spelled out very nicely and hits the nail right on the head! Quite honestly with any mod, the only advise I accept is from my own testing or others that have actually tested the mod. There are plenty for all mods on this car. Theoretical evaluations frankly do nothing for me in determining a particular mods value.
Here's the link - it really should be considered.
http://www.articleclick.com/Article/...Spacers/918947
But who is this Steven Duvall? What experience or technical background does he really have?

I'd be all over a throttle body spacer if the gains were consistent. It's just very odd that some cars gain power while others don't. The fact that a selling point for the spacers is the rifling/vortex effect raises a huge red flag, IMO. Air isn't a bullet and rifling isn't going to improve velocity, flow direction, etc. It's physically impossible.

I've driven numerous Gs over the years, autos and 6MTs, and I've never noticed dead spots anywhere, other than on my G when I was experimenting with various intake designs. I did find that the more open you make the intake, the worse tip-in throttle response is and there are some dead spots below 4000rpms. With a mostly stock intake, the dead spots aren't there.

I guess if the mod makes someone happy and it feels to them that it's added power, then I guess that's good for them. Seeing that the dyno testing is inconclusive, Tony at Motordyne has tested it and he said don't waste your time, and there is no track data, I have a hard time believing the spacer is nothing more than a chunk of metal. To each his own.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
But who is this Steven Duvall? What experience or technical background does he really have?

I'd be all over a throttle body spacer if the gains were consistent. It's just very odd that some cars gain power while others don't. The fact that a selling point for the spacers is the rifling/vortex effect raises a huge red flag, IMO. Air isn't a bullet and rifling isn't going to improve velocity, flow direction, etc. It's physically impossible.

I've driven numerous Gs over the years, autos and 6MTs, and I've never noticed dead spots anywhere, other than on my G when I was experimenting with various intake designs. I did find that the more open you make the intake, the worse tip-in throttle response is and there are some dead spots below 4000rpms. With a mostly stock intake, the dead spots aren't there.

I guess if the mod makes someone happy and it feels to them that it's added power, then I guess that's good for them. Seeing that the dyno testing is inconclusive, Tony at Motordyne has tested it and he said don't waste your time, and there is no track data, I have a hard time believing the spacer is nothing more than a chunk of metal. To each his own.
It is very clear that you didn’t even read the link. It has nothing to with technical aspects of Throttle Body Spacers. Therefore it doesn’t matter what technical experience the author has. It doesn’t say whether they definitively work or not.

Take the time to read what I linked and then I'm open to an intelligent conversation about what I posted.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Tony at Motordyne has tested it and he said don't waste your time
Tony concluded that TBS aren’t worth is based on his version that he beta-tested. However, when multiple dyno pulls on my car with an entirely different TBS was tested at his facility, there absolutely was gains! Tony feels it was the ECU playing tricks (to the tune of 10hp) Quite honestly, I feel it has to do the TBS. I respect and value Tony as a professional and as a friend – but our conclusions are different. Furthermore, other dynos have shown gains as well and indeed some haven’t

DaveB, until you have done as much real world research and testing I suggest you have a more viable declaration than “I just don’t think it works”.

I have a hard time believing the spacer is nothing more than a chunk of metal
As stated above, you haven't any real world experience so anyone that would make a decision based on a statement like that is foolish IMO.

Last edited by OCG35; 10-05-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:14 PM
It is very clear that you didn’t even read the link. It has nothing to with technical aspects of Throttle Body Spacers. Therefore it doesn’t matter what technical experience the author has. It doesn’t say whether they definitively work or not.

Take the time to read what I linked and then I'm open to an intelligent conversation about what I posted.
I did read the link (actually read it twice now) hence the reason why I asked about the author.

I'll always up for an intellegent debate, but you're the one that usually gets pissy.

Tony concluded that TBS aren’t worth is based on his version that he beta-tested. However, when multiple dyno pulls on my car with an entirely different TBS was tested at his facility, there absolutely was gains! Tony feels it was the ECU playing tricks (to the tune of 10hp) Quite honestly, I feel it has to do the TBS. I respect and value Tony as a professional and as a friend – but our conclusions are different. Furthermore, other dynos have shown gains as well and indeed some haven’t
Okay, so explain to us why this TB spacer design you and DaveO have designed/tested/researched works and Tony's didn't? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see an approximately 0.75" block of metal, drilled out, and rifled. What am I missing? Since we know the intended physics behind the rifling is farce, what else is there? AAM markets a non-rifled TB spacer for various vacuum connections, but they don't market it as a performance modification. No where does it say it gains power. What's so special about the one you're testing?

If you guys have truely tested the spacer and you're a proclaimed 1/4 mile racer, why isn't there any 1/4 mile data? The spacer can be put on within 10 minutes so why not do some before and after runs? These cars are incredibly consistent on the strip....unless mine is some sort of freak. I'm consistently within .3mph and less than 0.06 seconds assuming similiar 60 foots. My friends 03 5AT sedan was the same way. Testing a mod like this would be extremely easy and the trapspeed differences would show if power is gained, lost, or not there. What's so hard about that?

DaveB, until you have done as much real world research and testing I suggest you have a more viable declaration
It's called an expert opinion

Last edited by DaveB; 10-05-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Okay, so explain to us why this TB spacer design you and DaveO have designed/tested/researched works and Tony's didn't?
This statement alone makes it clear that you have no idea about the history of the TBS currently on GB.

We didn't design anything. Read the pages and pages of history and you will have a better idea of what exists. Research the threads here and on my350Z and you will find all the research data. Until you have a clue of what you are talking about - I won't bother with you. Oh, BTW, no I won’t reiterate the 5 months of activities for you because you are too lazy to look it up.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:05 PM
This statement alone makes it clear that you have no idea about the history of the TBS currently on GB.

We didn't design anything. Read the pages and pages of history and you will have a better idea of what exists. Research the threads here and on my350Z and you will find all the research data. Until you have a clue of what you are talking about - I won't bother with you. Oh, BTW, no I won’t reiterate the 5 months of activities for you because you are too lazy to look it up.

I'll always up for an intellegent debate, but you're the one that usually gets pissy.
Point proven.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dave why dont you just buy one and try it out for yourself? its less than a hundred bucks and takes max 20 min to put in. if you dont like it just sell it. im sure someone would pay somewhere around 80 bucks for a used one. you wont be out that much money. this might be one of those mods that dont show up on a dyno (like the pulley), but i just think until you have tried it for yourself you cant really comment on it. people can go on and on and debate about it, but the opinions of those who dont have the product should be nullified.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by diablo1356
dave why dont you just buy one and try it out for yourself? its less than a hundred bucks and takes max 20 min to put in. if you dont like it just sell it.
Been there, done that. I've bought into the claims made by others on wedsites and the manufactuers themselves. I prefer to stick with modifications that are tried and true. If this spacer showed consistent gains on all stock and mostly stock Gs and Zs, I'd have one.

As for the UDP, if it really worked, it too would show gains on the dyno and at the strip. I had an UR UDP on my old VQ30 and it didn't make a lick of difference on the dyno or after numerous 1/4 mile passes.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Point proven.
not anywhere near as clear as my point having been proven.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Oh, BTW, no I won’t reiterate the 5 months of activities for you because you are too lazy to look it up.
5 months of activities? I've done a search on my350Z.com and this website for "throttle body spacers". On the 350Z site, I was able to find one thread from August http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...le+body+spacer. In the thread, 350Z owners were discrediting the claims made by TBS manufactuers. I could not find any other threads about TBS. On this site, the only that gets pulled up is your TBS thread in the Review section. As you're well aware, I have been involved in that thread which you've turned into a Group Deal thread and have basically ignored many of the technical questions regarding a TBS. So, forgive me if the search engines on both these websites aren't great, but I simply don't have the time to scan through 1000s of threads.

So, if the information is really out there to prove that these things work, then why don't you post up for other to see. What's so hard about that?

Old 10-06-2007, 02:03 AM
I've got one on my 93 chevy truck v-8 and all it does is make a whistling noise at part throttle .I am not impressed, and in case your wondering my friend gave it to me I did NOT pay money for it.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:55 AM
5 months of activities? I've done a search on my350Z.com and this website for "throttle body spacers". On the 350Z site, I was able to find one thread from August http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...le+body+spacer. In the thread, 350Z owners were discrediting the claims made by TBS manufactuers. I could not find any other threads about TBS. On this site, the only that gets pulled up is your TBS thread in the Review section. As you're well aware, I have been involved in that thread which you've turned into a Group Deal thread and have basically ignored many of the technical questions regarding a TBS. So, forgive me if the search engines on both these websites aren't great, but I simply don't have the time to scan through 1000s of threads.

So, if the information is really out there to prove that these things work, then why don't you post up for other to see. What's so hard about that?
you are sooo frigginn lazy
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...light=dyno+day

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...e+body+spacers
https://g35driver.com/forums/group-buys/179426-tb-spacer-group-buy.html

These are in addition to the posts in this very thread (previous page(s) )

Anyone that has an interest has already read everything I'm providing to your bored self... please don’t tell me you are so helpless you can't find the posts in the links I've attached.

Dave - if you aren’t interested in a Throttle Body Spacer fine. Who cares? But why the uniformed, un-researched posts?!

Enlighten yourself, read the FIVE MONTHS of activity before you keep embarrassing yourself. I don’t care if you agree or disagree with the findings – you have not been a part of any of the developments that has gone on. I do/did, however care about each and every one of the beta testers that had a keep it or return it participation…

Stop with your non-sense for a change. Go find something that will provide a positive attribute to this forum for cryin’ out loud. You are every mans nightmare – a nagging b!tch with nothing worth hearing.

Last edited by OCG35; 10-06-2007 at 04:03 AM.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:01 AM
Originally Posted by HUMBOLDT_G
I've got one on my 93 chevy truck v-8 and all it does is make a whistling noise at part throttle .I am not impressed, and in case your wondering my friend gave it to me I did NOT pay money for it.
The misnomer is that every throttle body spacer is the same and that they react the same on every vehicle... It has been noted in previous posts that the manufacturer of the very same TBS in the current GB has a version of the same spacer for other vehicles that hasn’t proven any gains. * Edit - however, there are others besides the VQDE that have proved gains as well... there are boatloads of other forums regarding this.

For explanations why the spacer in the GB works on the VQ - read the research chronicled in the post above.

Last edited by OCG35; 10-06-2007 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:11 AM
The misnomer is that every throttle body spacer is the same and that they react the same on every vehicle... It has been noted in previous posts that the manufacturer of the very same TBS in the current GB has a version of the same spacer for other vehicles that hasn’t proven any gains. * Edit - however, there are others besides the VQDE that have proved gains as well... there are boatloads of other forums regarding this.

For explanations why the spacer in the GB works on the VQ - read the research chronicled in the post above.
Ok well if it does work what kind of gains are we talking about to the rear wheels???? I seriously doubt the gains would be noticable, the only benefit I would assume would be bettter drivablity. but you know what they say when you assume something.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:21 PM
you are sooo frigginn lazy
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...light=dyno+day

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179426

These are in addition to the posts in this very thread (previous page(s) )

Anyone that has an interest has already read everything I'm providing to your bored self... please don’t tell me you are so helpless you can't find the posts in the links I've attached.

Dave - if you aren’t interested in a Throttle Body Spacer fine. Who cares? But why the uniformed, un-researched posts?!

Enlighten yourself, read the FIVE MONTHS of activity before you keep embarrassing yourself. I don’t care if you agree or disagree with the findings – you have not been a part of any of the developments that has gone on. I do/did, however care about each and every one of the beta testers that had a keep it or return it participation…

Stop with your non-sense for a change. Go find something that will provide a positive attribute to this forum for cryin’ out loud. You are every mans nightmare – a nagging b!tch with nothing worth hearing.
Please don't act like I'm lazy, OC. Like I said earlier, I searched the words "throttle body spacer". The Z thread you posted does not have TBS in the title therefore the search engine did not grab it in the search. There are actually other TBS threads on my350 that popped up that I didn't reference, but they're all hearsay and pointless. I already mentioned the first thread you listed and the second one you list is the one where Tony vehemently says he's tested the TBS and they don't work. The third thread you list is something I do not have access to because I canceled my premier membership.

I've researched it plenty hence the reason why I'm debating the design and gains of this mod. Every thread that discusses and supports these spacers says it's because of the rifling effect of the spacer which helps the air turn 60 degrees into the manifold and increase velocity What about those 90 degree turns into the 6 air horns or the 70 degree turns into the 6 intake runners? It's comical, really. You can't rotate or turn air in a pipe without a fan. The air isn't going to start rotating simply because it's flying by a 1/8" inch raised bore. As for the claimed air/fuel atomization effect, again, comical. Air fuel atomization is occurring just before the compression chamber and not near the TB or in the intake manifold.

What's interesting is that the same claimed principles for the TBS closely match close claims made by the often flamed Tornado intake device. People laugh hysterically at the Tornado, but these TBS seem to be more viable.

http://www.tornadoair.com/HowItWorks.php

Last edited by DaveB; 10-06-2007 at 12:36 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body spacer