Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Throttle Body spacer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Actually, what kills me about the TBS (and yes, I have one, although I don't believe it has provided any gains) is all the reviews of people claiming to feel 5-10 hp gains with their butt dyno. The TBS may or may not provide any gains (although I am leaning towards not), but anyone who says they can feel a 5 hp gain (which amounts to less than 3% on a ~230rwhp vehicle) is plain flat out lying or deluding themselves.

Dave

Old 10-08-2007, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Dave, don't you know the TB Spacer "straightens" the air. LOL Good one

Old 10-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know that people have felt gains with this mod, and a few have seen some decent increases at the track with it as well. I've spoken to some of them myself.

However, I tried one of these out back in mid/late June. With conditions being nearly identical, and no other changes to the car, I lost about 2mph in my trap. Cheryl's car, with no changes, so no difference in trap speeds.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I know that people have felt gains with this mod, and a few have seen some decent increases at the track with it as well.
Elaborate. As far I've read, no one has talked about their track experiences with this mod.

However, I tried one of these out back in mid/late June. With conditions being nearly identical, and no other changes to the car, I lost about 2mph in my trap. Cheryl's car, with no changes, so no difference in trap speeds.
I'd trust your and Cheryl's findings since you two are legit racers and understand drag racing, launch technique, and condition factors.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
Tony concluded that TBS aren’t worth is based on his version that he beta-tested.
Hi Mike,

I was certaint of it based on my own design testing, but after testing yours on your car, I was convinced they don't work at all.

Remember, after we uninstalled yours, your car dynod exactly the same on all parts of the curve.

. However, when multiple dyno pulls on my car with an entirely different TBS was tested at his facility, there absolutely was gains! Tony feels it was the ECU playing tricks (to the tune of 10hp)
And yes, I am sure it was the ECU. Even before testing, I explained ECU changes can happen. And they typically move upward after a few pulls on the dyno and reach a plateau.

If the TB spacer was making gains, your car would have lost power after it was removed. But it didn't.

Quite honestly, I feel it has to do the TBS. I respect and value Tony as a professional and as a friend – but our conclusions are different. Furthermore, other dynos have shown gains as well and indeed some haven’t
For the ones that did show gains, I would give it a second thought if they were consistant in their magnitude and RPM. But they haven't.

Without strict testing controls, you could take a fleet of cars, dyno them all, and redyno them 30 minutes later and the vast majority of them will dyno higher the second time around. The ECU needs to be normalized for both sets of tests for the test to be valid.

I'm not bashing, taking sides or trying to rain on any parades. I'm just saying what I know from test experience.

And believe me. If there was any real HP to be made from a TB spacer, I would exploite its engineering to the max. ...But its just not there.

Tony

EDIT: I was going to stay out of this thread but when I saw reference to my name and testing, I had to make some clarification. Otherwise, I'll try to avoid TB spacer threads.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 10-08-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks for you input, Tony. I appreciate it and I'm sure others that are on the fence about this mod do too.

I'll be very curious about OCG35's response. What really intrigues me is that the infamous DaveO thinks that this mod works and he apparently supports it. Your testing seems to show just how variable these cars are on dyno and that there is no definative proof that the TBS works. DaveO surely would have seen/known about your results since you've worked with OCG35 on this. I just find odd that DaveO is a claimed automotive expert and a writer for a performance magazine, yet he seems to discredit (whether intentional or not) other findings that do not support his own. I would bet we'll see a write-up in the G/Z performance magazine showing that this particular spacer makes power.

I have no doubt that throttle response can be influenced by the spacer, but that doesn't necessarily mean there's more power. I can change the configuration of my OEM intake in four different ways and I'll get a different type of throttle response with each different set up, but the overall WOT performance won't change.

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
And yes, I am sure it was the ECU. Even before testing, I explained ECU changes can happen. And they typically move upward after a few pulls on the dyno and reach a plateau.
I've noticed this too with the G/Z cars. I don't know about everyone else's car, but my G is amazingly consistent on the strip which proves to me that it's making consistent power, run after run, cool down or hot lapping. I'm talking about MPH and not ET. On my first run on the day, I'll know what my trap speed will be for the entire day within 0.5mph. My ET can vary a bit due to 60 foot difference, but the MPH is spot on, run after run, which tells me my G has to be making within 5whp or so on every run.

Last edited by DaveB; 10-08-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by DaveB
I've noticed this too with the G/Z cars. I don't know about everyone else's car, but my G is amazingly consistent on the strip which proves to me that it's making consistent power, run after run, cool down or hot lapping. I'm talking about MPH and not ET. On my first run on the day, I'll know what my trap speed will be for the entire day within 0.5mph. My ET can vary a bit due to 60 foot difference, but the MPH is spot on, run after run, which tells me my G has to be making within 5whp or so on every run.
That's odd. I typically trap at least 1.5mph lower on my first run of the night versus my fastest run of the night.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by DaveB
Elaborate. As far I've read, no one has talked about their track experiences with this mod.
I don't want to name names, as I'd like to respect the privacy of the individuals with which I have spoken. But, I've heard second hand of at least two people have experienced at least marginal gains at the track with this mod.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
That's odd. I typically trap at least 1.5mph lower on my first run of the night versus my fastest run of the night.
I think it's probably a factor of the automatic. With my Maxima, my traps would vary by 1 to 1.5mph. The traps were heavily influenced by spinning the tires into 2nd and sometimes 3rd. With my G auto, I don't have to contend with that.

Also, when I run my car in the cooler months, my track is only open from 12 to 4 so there isn't much change in the ambient conditions which could influence power. My track doesn't open unless the temp is at least 50 and sunny. I wish I could run at a track that stayed open in the evenings and let us run in 30 degree weather. I'm sure I could grab some 14.1s.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Thanks Hydrazine for the reply. Until I see definate proof, I going to defer to your information. I've always found you to be very subjective and honest about mods.

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Hi Mike,

I was certaint of it based on my own design testing, but after testing yours on your car, I was convinced they don't work at all.

Remember, after we uninstalled yours, your car dynod exactly the same on all parts of the curve.

If the TB spacer was making gains, your car would have lost power after it was removed. But it didn't.

For the ones that did show gains, I would give it a second thought if they were consistant in their magnitude and RPM. But they haven't.

Without strict testing controls, you could take a fleet of cars, dyno them all, and redyno them 30 minutes later and the vast majority of them will dyno higher the second time around. The ECU needs to be normalized for both sets of tests for the test to be valid.

I'm not bashing, taking sides or trying to rain on any parades. I'm just saying what I know from test experience.

And believe me. If there was any real HP to be made from a TB spacer, I would exploite its engineering to the max. ...But its just not there.

Tony

EDIT: I was going to stay out of this thread but when I saw reference to my name and testing, I had to make some clarification. Otherwise, I'll try to avoid TB spacer threads.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Wouldn't that show up on a dyno? ie.. less dip in the graphs? I didn't see anything like that in the one dyno I looked at. Well now it's deleted

Originally Posted by diablo1356
i never expected a gain at all. just did it for sound. im telling you after the install no more dead spots. my dad just borrowed my car and he just asked me what happened to the "areas where the car didnt feel like there was much power". ive modded my car a lot in the past and i do believe some mods have been a waste (grounding kit for example). i was expecting something from the wires and didnt feel anything. i wanted to feel something but nothing. with the TBG spacer i didnt want to feel anything and i did feel something. its worth the under $100 price tag. better choice than an intake imo.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks for the writeup Tony.

just reviving this thread since someone was selling a TBS in the marketplace.