Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Installed Injen SES 1992c today-Concerns?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Injen SES 1992c today-Concerns?

I just had my Injen SES exhaust system installed on my G35c today by a professional muffler shop. First of all, the install was very straight forward and easy. The installer pointed a few things out to me after he was done. My concerns or questions is this. On the drivers side, the primary pipe right off the cat, at the bend, is "very" close to the undercarriage of the car. Are there any concerns about heat & the pipe being so close to the frame? Also, driver side primary pipe, above the crossmember, does "flex" very close to that member. Has anyone had problems with this? My car is lowered, and I was afraid that the resonators were lower than stock. The installer said they actually sit a little "higher" than stock. I have scrape a few times with the stock system. The system is smoking and smells bad. I guess this is only during "breakin" of the system. I've only driven it 5 miles. Its the mother of all storms in L.A. today. Any thoughts about my questions is appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Re: Installed Injen SES 1992c today-Concerns?

I just installed my Injen SES 1992c exhaust on my car and I have the same exact concerns you do. The braided section on the drivers side is just about touching part of the undercarriage. I have tried to readjust it but it wont move at all. I did have alot of smoke on startup but after driving it for about 20 min it seems to have gone away and I noticed a funny smell once I parked it which I assume will go away after driving the car more. The exhaust is alot louder than stock especially between 1000-2500 rpm with significant resonance inside the car under light throttle. Once it gets above 2500 rpm the sound quiets down. I am still breaking my Coupe in so couldn't give a good test but it does seem to have more power even in the lower power band.

2004 Brilliant Silver Auto Coupe Leather
7 Wire Hyperground
Z-tube/JWT Popcharger
5% Tint Rear 30% Door
Injen Exhaust

Old 02-25-2004, 11:05 PM

Thanks for your reply. I have the same set-up as you, with Z-tube & Popcharger. I have 5,000 miles on my car, but really didn't "jump" on it on my drive home (rain). I did notice more power & torque. I also notice my gear shift level vibrates a lot more. Next project is installing my Rogue shifter. Don't think the vibration will go away, or that it is a big deal. Exhaust is louder for sure. I hope I will get use to it. I wrap my Z-tube with a heat shield. I'm thinking, maybe I should wrap the drivers side pipe with an exhaust heat shield.

Old 02-26-2004, 05:01 AM

I was considering doing the same thing to my exhaust. If its normal for it to be that close to the frame and no one else has had any problems I may just let it be. Hopefully others will respond to this. I hope I get used to the sound also. My wife is going to be very unhappy when she hears it. It didn't sound that loud on the sound clips I listened to. Oh well good luck to you.

2004 Brilliant Silver Auto Coupe Leather
7 Wire Hyperground
Z-tube/JWT Popcharger
5% Tint Rear 30% Door
Injen Exhaust

Old 02-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

The exhaust was designed specifically for that type of fitment. If you look under the car (like on a lift) you can see that there is barely nay room to work with. The smoke and smell is normal becuase of the metal inside the piping and don't worry about rust its stainless steel. If is starts to vibrate on the frame, there are two places you can adjust the piping towards the front of the car that will ease it up a little. BUT be careful when adjusting because you may encounter it will hit the rear bumper. Any other questions, let me know. I spent a lot of time researching this exhaust and know the owner of Injen well.

Ivory Pearl / 6MT / Aero / Premium / Xenon Lights Everywhere / Mirror Tint / Injen CAI / Injen SES Exhaust / Tanabe Racing Springs / Ground Wire Kit

Old 02-26-2004, 02:48 PM

Thanks for your response. So what you are saying is: (Drivers side) Don't worry about the primary pipe (Heat) being so close to the undercarriage of the car? Also, I'm not too worry about the crossmember. After the install, there was 3/4" to 1" of distance (travel) the pipe had before hitting it. I'm not sure how much flex the exhaust has (if any) doing hard acceleration. The system seems tight, with no rattles.