Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Plenums...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plenums...

So, looking into plenums, and as of now all i know about is the crawford. Just wondering if the gains are worth the $500. Also, im not sure if im just making this up but i might of heard that you can't close the hood all the way with the Crawford, or you can't put the plastic engine cover back on all the way...can someone verify this for me. Also, does it alter the sound of the car in any way, and has anyone had any problems with servicing their car and the new plenum? Thanks!

2004 Sedan
Black/Willow
Premium w/ splash guards
Clear Corners, Z-tube

Old 02-27-2004, 05:10 AM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Plenums...

I have heard nothing but good about the Crawford plenum, and for $500 its not that bad of a deal considering the gains and ease of installation. You can get the stock engine cover back on if you like, but it does stand a tad bit higher than it would have with the factory plenum, thus it may touch the underside the hoods lining. This will not effect the ability of the hood to close, or obviously no one would buy the plenum. The "intake sound" does change slightly (for the better) from what I have heard. As for any service issues, being that the Crawford plenum is in fact an OEM intake that's been modified its fit and function are just like (if not better) that the stock unit, thus it does not cause or warrant any issue that would inhibit any service procedures to be performed on your car.

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 02-27-2004, 08:06 AM

Ducatis guy which version are you running?

Old 02-27-2004, 09:56 AM

I ran the v4 version of the plenum with the stock cover installed, and it fit, but looked a little strange because the cover didn't sit flat as in stock. Hood closed OK, but the cover rubbed against it. Also, I had some bubbling of the powder coat on the plenum caused by the extra heat trapped between the plenum and the cover.

I now have the v5 version and it's beautiful, so I have modified the cover to fit and leave the plenum exposed, looks so much better, IMO.

As for performance, it's the best bang for the buck that I have done. Above 4500 rpm, there is no more flat spot, the car just loves to rev. I recommend it highly.

Lou

197313-Plenum 02.jpg

Old 02-27-2004, 09:59 AM

my Kinetix Plenum is on the way, I will post pics & review after install

G35c, 5AT, NAV
INJEN CAI, Borla TD Exhaust, Grounding Kit
8000K HID, PIAA 7500K SPARK BLUE, Clear Corner
Focal 165K2P, E10A.22

Old 02-27-2004, 10:01 AM

How much was the kinetix plenum, and do you know if the stock cover will fit on it flat, w/o rubbing the hood?

2004 Sedan
Black/Willow
Premium w/ splash guards
Clear Corners, Z-tube

Old 02-27-2004, 10:38 AM

The kinetix plenum is $355 until 3/15 then it goes to $395.

You can not use your engine cover with the kinetix because it lacks the rear mounting holes. I don't see why you would want to cover it up with the engine cover. It is very attractive imho.

Old 02-27-2004, 11:02 AM

I covered up the front part of the engine bay, because IMO, that mass of cables and hoses is not very attractive. I also have a grounding kit, and those front mounting points are not good looking either. My modified cover covers up that clutter quite nicely I think. Both plenums are now good looking, and your right there really is no reason to cover them up, except for the front part of the engine.

Lou

Old 02-27-2004, 11:17 AM

couple of notes:
The price of the crawford has dropped to ~$400 now I believe with a core exchange (you have to ship your stock plenum back to crawford for you noobs). If you want to keep your stock plenum, it'll cost you another $200 sconies.

The Kinetix does not require a core exchange.

Old 02-27-2004, 01:51 PM

Here's a kinetix vs crawford plenum dyno shootout. Too bad it was on a car with a bunch of mods allready. Take it for what it's worth.

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...hlight=kinetix

I personally would like to see a stock car do a baseline dyno, then runs with the crawford, and then runs with the kinetix. This would be more of an ideal experiment.

04' G35S 6MT Ivory Pearl, Willow, Premium

Old 02-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the 1st gen crawford on my car. From the very first time I planted the throttle after the last bolt was turned, I knew every penny I had spent was worth it. No other mod, except for my custom exhaust, as brought the dollar to results factor to life as the crawford pleneum has. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It modifies the power band exactly as advertised. It offers more peak power and goes on to prevent as much of a power fall off from peak to redline.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 02-27-2004, 02:32 PM

I can't agree with Gsedan35 more!! I installed my v5 crawford plenum last night (UPS delivered it at 7:30 and I had it and a grounding kit installed by 9:30). The plenum and my Stillen cat-back exhaust are the best bang for the buck mods to date - everything else is going to be a series of diminishing returns....
Now if my Injen intake gets here today.. more fun tomorrow!!!

Old 02-27-2004, 03:59 PM

I think testing these plenums on an already modded car is more realistic and a much tougher test for the plenum for a couple of reasons. First, most people are not going to have the plenum as their only mod and second, if a mod can add noticeable gains on top of alot of other mods you know its going to add even more by itself. As you add more and more mods the hp each one provides individually decreases.

Old 02-27-2004, 04:09 PM

Can someone link me to the Kintetix site, or a place where i could buy one? That dyno comparison and the ability to keep my plenum convinced me to go with kintetix.

2004 Sedan
Black/Willow
Premium w/ splash guards
Clear Corners, Z-tube

Old 02-27-2004, 04:18 PM

Here you go Troy.

http://www.kinetixracing.com/index.asp

DaveO - 2003 G35 Sedan / DP / Willow / AT / Premium / Sport
350Z Engine Cover, T-Stat & Air Duct / Stillen CAI
GG 7-Wire H-G Kit / TS ECU / E-Fans