Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

RASP elimination

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After installing the amuse exhaust and tanabe y pipe, the rasp is still barely present at 2-3k rpm, but less noticeable and softer--I can't quite explain it--I don't mind as well--but it definetly did not get louder or worse, but less noticeable; at least for me.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
After installing the amuse exhaust and tanabe y pipe, the rasp is still barely present at 2-3k rpm, but less noticeable and softer--I can't quite explain it--I don't mind as well--but it definetly did not get louder or worse, but less noticeable; at least for me.
good to hear, I will have my update shortly

Old 12-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I enjoyed the gain and the sound at WOT of my resonated test pipes but the drone on the low end was too much. With a 5AT, I was using the manual mode to keep the RPM's high enough to eliminate the drone.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
I had many rasp problems, went through 3 different exhausts for the right sound i want.

I currently have Fast Intention Exhaust, Kinetix HFC, and Borla Headers.........No Rasp....

Old 12-13-2007, 03:27 AM
what other exhaust do you have?

Originally Posted by G35Rider92649
I had many rasp problems, went through 3 different exhausts for the right sound i want.

I currently have Fast Intention Exhaust, Kinetix HFC, and Borla Headers.........No Rasp....

Old 12-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek173
I had Strup headers and stock exhaust and heard no rasp. As soon as the HFCs went on I developed rasp, I only hear it from 2-3krpm. However I cant replicate it when parked? only appears while driving.

I have done alot of reading on this subject here and at my350z. This is what the possibilities are based on others problems/opinions

1. The stock catback is resonating at the y-pipe where everything is merging.

2. Its the flex sections on the exhaust (y-pipe) causing a rattle/rasp, due to a higher volume of exhaust gas going through them.

3. The natural firing order of the VQ causes this noise, and without the bulky stock headers/cats you can hear it.

I am getting my X02 exhaust by the end of this month. I will install and hopefully this will solve my problem. If not I will have a shop replace the flex sections on it with a solid piece and if that doesnt solve it.... I guess I will give up

Good luck and keep updating!

would getting a true dual exhuast? like stillen, or hks help??? or what about the nismo exhuast with a new ypipe and removing the stock y pipe?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:19 PM
i had the same problem and i have topspeed headers, kinetix cats, and the stock catback. had that nasty sound only around 2-3 rpm and only when in motion. the sound was too annoying for me so i just put in the stock cats...problem gone. ive really wanted to try taking out the flex sections and trying a better brand, or just using staight pipe, but im scared that using straight pipe is really bad for the exhaust. isnt the exhaust supposed to be able to flex under load? hence the flex sections...

ive also heard that using crawford cats with headers and the stock cat back doesnt cause rasp...not sure if this is true but if anyone has had that set up let us know how it went.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 458 Likes on 237 Posts
I have DC headers, FI resonated test pipes, and HKS exhaust. I get rasp in the RPM midrange, especially when its cold. Whenever I accelerate, I hear a strong wooooshing sound comming from below the car. Is that just the unburned fuel flowing through?

Old 12-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Derek173
good to hear, I will have my update shortly
Any results yet Derek? Hope your exhaust eliminates your rasp.

For me, it's good news--there is no rasp after the exhaust is warmed up (or maybe since I've "broken it in")--man I luv the sound is makes at 7k+

Old 12-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by sxexcx
I have DC headers, FI resonated test pipes, and HKS exhaust. I get rasp in the RPM midrange, especially when its cold. Whenever I accelerate, I hear a strong wooooshing sound comming from below the car. Is that just the unburned fuel flowing through?
Although "rasp" can be classified differently by the individual listener's ear, a simple "whoosing sound" is nothing more than the result of increased air flow. Headers definetly bring this "inductions noise out"

I have a felling though, that you are experiencing "rasp" given the Tp's, however. Although, honestly, unless its really bad, I think "rasp" is overrated. Hell, some even like it, but its really not all that desirable.

Can someone put into words what rasp really sounds like? I have a hard time doing so, my best would be like a sort of tinny auditory scraping sound with a hint of rice.

A picture description of rasp would go something like thisicon24:

Old 12-20-2007, 01:51 AM
no updates yet, will def let you know. Still waiting.

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Any results yet Derek? Hope your exhaust eliminates your rasp.

For me, it's good news--there is no rasp after the exhaust is warmed up (or maybe since I've "broken it in")--man I luv the sound is makes at 7k+

Old 12-20-2007, 01:38 PM
my update is as follows....had stock catback with kinetix cats and topspeed headers--> rasp only during cold startup and then gone after that

added magnaflow catback to the headers and HFC's and there was a rasp at 2 points in the rpm band one at 2300rpm and the other at 4300rmp...couldnt stand it!!!

kept the magnaflow on because i love the sound it makes (video comming soon) so i decided the cats will be what goes...stock cats back on and rasp only when its cold again and gone after that... i get to keep the deep sound of the magnaflow...rasp problem fixed!!

my definition of rasp would have to be 1000 bb's in your muffler rattling around during acceleration causing a high pitched noise that alarms the elderly.

thanks for the help, mike

Old 12-21-2007, 01:42 AM
I have no rasp with crawford HFC and Stillen dual exhaust...i love the sound

Old 12-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by ufgeee
my update is as follows....had stock catback with kinetix cats and topspeed headers--> rasp only during cold startup and then gone after that

added magnaflow catback to the headers and HFC's and there was a rasp at 2 points in the rpm band one at 2300rpm and the other at 4300rmp...couldnt stand it!!!

kept the magnaflow on because i love the sound it makes (video comming soon) so i decided the cats will be what goes...stock cats back on and rasp only when its cold again and gone after that... i get to keep the deep sound of the magnaflow...rasp problem fixed!!

my definition of rasp would have to be 1000 bb's in your muffler rattling around during acceleration causing a high pitched noise that alarms the elderly.

yea i agree.....it sounds like a cheap autozone muffler put on a honda civic and then drill a few holes....higher pitched, not deep at all, and very harsh sound waves (not a smooth sound)

I have the STRUP test pipes (non resonated) and i get it from 2300 about to 4k rpms.....sucks

Old 12-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by ufgeee

yea i agree.....it sounds like a cheap autozone muffler put on a honda civic and then drill a few holes....higher pitched, not deep at all, and very harsh sound waves (not a smooth sound)

I have the STRUP test pipes (non resonated) and i get it from 2300 about to 4k rpms.....sucks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RASP elimination