Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

RASP elimination

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RASP elimination

is the addition of a resonator the solution for eliminating rasp on exhaust....i have the magnaflow exhaust, with HFC and headers and i have a rasp that i NEED to get rid of and this is the only possible solution i have come up with. any advice and guidance will be much appreciated

-mike

Old 12-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Putting on your stock cats will be the best solution...

Old 12-09-2007, 08:36 PM
or just sell me your exhaust!

Old 12-10-2007, 12:16 AM
the rasp isnt that bad, but i have a passionate hate for rasp...i love the sound of the exhaust and if the cats go the sound will go significantly so i think thats out of the options...will a resonator help at all if any?

Old 12-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
where do you hear the rasp? I have headers/HFC and stock catback. I get rasp/rattle from 2-3krpm.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by Derek173
where do you hear the rasp? I have headers/HFC and stock catback. I get rasp/rattle from 2-3krpm.
me too, hope the rasp will go away when I install my amuse exhaust.

If not, there really isn't anything you can do to remove rasp except trying different parts or putting everything back to stock.

To the op, some components work better than others. There is no easy fix for rasp if you are set on you current setup

Old 12-10-2007, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by jonnylaw

If not, there really isn't anything you can do to remove rasp except trying different parts or putting everything back to stock.

To the op, some components work better than others. There is no easy fix for rasp if you are set on you current setup
I swear I sent you a PM before I saw this post

Old 12-10-2007, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by jonnylaw

I am in the same boat just ordered an X02, if that does not solve the problem I will have an exhaust shop replace the flex sections with solid pipe. I suspect (thanks to people on the is forum) the flex section are making this noise but hopefully its another theory that the stock exhaust cant move the extra gases from header/HFC causing a resonance

Old 12-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Old 12-10-2007, 12:35 AM
I swear I sent you a PM before I saw this post
lol--pm replied--must have been at the same time

Old 12-10-2007, 08:54 AM
when i had the stock catback i only had rasp when the cats were cold (topspeed headers and kinetix cats), now with the magnaflow i get it at around 3k rpm and a little bit up top at WOT. when im easy on the gas bringing it to a higher rpm theres no rasp, its just when i accelerate quickly. I HATE SOUNDING LIKE A CIVIC!!!

Old 12-10-2007, 10:34 PM
I had Strup headers and stock exhaust and heard no rasp. As soon as the HFCs went on I developed rasp, I only hear it from 2-3krpm. However I cant replicate it when parked? only appears while driving.

I have done alot of reading on this subject here and at my350z. This is what the possibilities are based on others problems/opinions

1. The stock catback is resonating at the y-pipe where everything is merging.

2. Its the flex sections on the exhaust (y-pipe) causing a rattle/rasp, due to a higher volume of exhaust gas going through them.

3. The natural firing order of the VQ causes this noise, and without the bulky stock headers/cats you can hear it.

I am getting my X02 exhaust by the end of this month. I will install and hopefully this will solve my problem. If not I will have a shop replace the flex sections on it with a solid piece and if that doesnt solve it.... I guess I will give up

Good luck and keep updating!

Last edited by Derek173; 12-10-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:37 PM
let me know how u make out

Old 12-11-2007, 05:12 PM
I had Strup headers and stock exhaust and heard no rasp. As soon as the HFCs went on I developed rasp, I only hear it from 2-3krpm. However I cant replicate it when parked? only appears while driving.

I have done alot of reading on this subject here and at my350z. This is what the possibilities are based on others problems/opinions

1. The stock catback is resonating at the y-pipe where everything is merging.

2. Its the flex sections on the exhaust (y-pipe) causing a rattle/rasp, due to a higher volume of exhaust gas going through them.

3. The natural firing order of the VQ causes this noise, and without the bulky stock headers/cats you can hear it.

I am getting my X02 exhaust by the end of this month. I will install and hopefully this will solve my problem. If not I will have a shop replace the flex sections on it with a solid piece and if that doesnt solve it.... I guess I will give up

Good luck and keep updating!
so you're going to add the XO2 exhaust to your strup headers and HFCs?

If that's the case, I seriously doubt it will get rid of your rasp...I think it'll

make it louder. IMO the only way to get rid of rasp with your setup is to take

off your headers or take off your HFC's.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by bull3t
so you're going to add the XO2 exhaust to your strup headers and HFCs?

If that's the case, I seriously doubt it will get rid of your rasp...I think it'll

make it louder. IMO the only way to get rid of rasp with your setup is to take

off your headers or take off your HFC's.
I have a feeling you are right

If this doesnt solve the problem I might just be done with trying to fix it. I am happy with the gains from headers/HFC, So i guess I will deal with it.

Last edited by Derek173; 12-12-2007 at 09:25 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RASP elimination