Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Motordyne - Tony

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
WOW, that look sick look at the welding i can't wait for the sound clips and rest of the exhaust you making.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that is exactly what i need, you guys rock. put one down for one. its about time somebody did this

Old 07-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
MD Exhaust Pilot Production

OMG those look top notch quality!!!!
It is! Quality, Engineering, dyno R&D.
Motordyne can't compete with the cheapest selling systems out there, but we certaintly can compete with and exceed the VERY BEST.

I'm kinda lost on this... What combo will give me the best hp results w/ my stock set up?
Give me a little more time for the G35 and I can answer this for you.

The pictures below are only a very small sample of what is to come.

Name:  XYZpipe009.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  45.4 KB
Name:  XYZpipe014.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  105.3 KB
Name:  XYZpipe015.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  87.4 KB
Name:  XYZpipe016.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  115.1 KB

NOTE: This merge collector (XYZ-pipe) has been fully optimized on the dyno. Both the merge angle and merge distance relative to the engine were explored and optimized.

I also dyno tested a lot of different merge points relative to the distance from the engine. The exhaust gases can be merged just about anywhere, but in all of the testing, it was found that the further back from the engine the gases were merged, sound quality and power degraded.
If it was merged as far back as the rear axle, throttle response was significantly compromised.
If it was merged via a H-pipe between the test pipes, low end TQ was greatly compromised.
After aquiring enough data points of different merge points relative to the engine, a plot was created showing HP Vs merge point. And in this curve there was a peak between the extremes. This is how the optimum merge point was found.

Seeing that the optimum merge point occured before the usual point where the stock Y pipe, or Nismo Y-pipe merged, I created a Y-pipe with a long straight section to fill the gap to the end of the stock Y-pipe location.

And this was nothing but a straight section of 3" tubing... it was a section of 3" tubing that was screaming out loud. "Use me for something!"
And that is when different resonators, diffusers and venturies of varying diameters were experimented with. More to come.

Name:  XYZpipe017.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  148.3 KB

Name:  XYZpipe018.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  155.0 KB

Note the rainbow welds on the thick stainless steel flanges on the XYZ 2.5" primaries.
These flanges won't warp when welded or torqued. NO CORNERS CUT.

Name:  XYZpipe025.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  111.0 KB

Overview of the XYZ-pipe in the "Y-pipe configuration with a resonator".
NOTE: the resonator really sweetens up the exhaust tone. I give it a for sound quality enhancement. It should be able to fit on just about any aftermarket single exhaust setup. AMUSE, JIC, FUBITSUBO, NISMO, ETC.

Name:  XYZpipe031.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  139.2 KB
Name:  XYZpipe033.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  162.2 KB

In the picture here, the XYZ-pipe with resonator, is also shown with a catalytic converter along side.
THIS IS SIGNIFICANT.
Many times people post the question. "Which should I get? Cats or Test pipes?"

With the XYZ-pipe, you no longer have to ask that question or make the either/or compromise. Now you can have your cake and eat it too.

When you install the usual test pipes or catalytic converters, you typically leave them in place because its such a pain to take them back out. Once they go in, that's it. They're done. And that is why the question "Cats or Test pipes" is so commonly asked on the forums.

Now, you can install the test pipes you've always wanted and still switch back and forth between cats and test pipes much, much more easily.
The catalytic converter is relocated behind the XYZ-pipe (underneath the car) where you can access and switch it out with nothing more than a set of jack stands on one side of the car.

The catalytic converter, straight pipe, venturi and resonator are attached to the XYZ pipe via a "V-band" clamp with one nut on the clamp and two bolts at the aft flange section.

Now it is exponentiallyeasier to switch between catalytic converter to resonated to straight pipe, ETC. Its so much easier that you no longer need a lift to do it. Anyone with jack stands can do it in less than 10 minutes.
THIS IS A HUGE, USER FRIENDLY, ADVANTAGE.

Name:  XYZpipe039.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  167.7 KB

This here is one of my favorites. Simple, effective, sounds awesome and purely functional. Loud, but not too loud. A progressive, exotic sound that appropriatly increase loudness with RPM. Quiet enough for daily driving and it absolutely screams at WOT high RPM. When used with the Motordyne resonated XYZ pipe, it sounds like a damn Ferrari.

All 0.065" stainless 304 and weighs only 18 lbs.

The Z SHOCKWAVETM

Its not compatible with the G just yet. It will need a reconturing of the tubing. I'll get it worked on ASAP.

Name:  XYZpipe040.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  107.7 KB

These here are pictures of what will be on line soon.
Note: The muffler below is very large and Very Quiet (VQ). No chambers. An all straight through design 3" inlet, dual 2.5" outlets.

Its probably too quiet for most people, but for some, its exactly what they want.
Name:  XYZpipe042.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  170.3 KB

Name:  XYZpipe045.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  195.7 KB

There is much, much more to post but it will be posted after a little more progress is made.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 07-19-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:25 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Did I forget to mention that the XYZ pipe can also be used in a true dual X-pipe system?

Old 07-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
.... i think i just messed myself...

Old 07-19-2008, 11:31 PM
holy crap, great to have a quality exhaust product with versatility and damn it looks good.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:31 PM
brb getting cut
WOW!!!!!!!!!! Very nice job, Tony! I can't wait to see more and what's to come for the G!

Old 07-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Let me be the one millionth to say... I am excited. I can't wait to see what configurations are going to be available for the sedan and I can't wait to hear what it sounds like. I have the MD plenum spacer and could not be happier with it. I had a question before I purchased, I emailed MD and heard back within a very short period of time.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is very f-ing cool. Are you going to post sound clips?

Old 07-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by astonv12
This is very f-ing cool. Are you going to post sound clips?
Yes.

First I will need to get a high fidelity recorder that can put it in digital format.

and then...

Because the system(s) are modular and interchangable. There will be 4 basic systems and multiple variations within each. And because parts can be swaped among each system.

There will be about 60 different combinations of sounds to record.

I have a lot of work to do.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 07-20-2008 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:49 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
very nice Tony!

I look forward to progress for gen1 sedans

Old 07-20-2008, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Did I forget to mention that the XYZ pipe can also be used in a true dual X-pipe system?
i thought you said it wouldnt work on a dual exhaust system when i asked if it would fit on the xo2 or hks........ also what are the gains if used on the stock exhaust with the non resonated open pipe?

Old 07-20-2008, 01:24 AM
Please tell me you will have some love for the FX35/45. This thing looks pretty damn sweet

Old 07-20-2008, 01:43 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Well, this is all very exciting. Are there actually gains by just going with the y-pipe alone?

I've always debated with myself about putting in TPs and locating a single cat behind the y-pipe, but I worried about the ECU flaking out with O2 sensors and I feared the setup may be too loud. This new setup is exactly the same setup I had on my 96 Maxima as do thousands of other modded Maximas. The VQ30 has precats in the y-pipe and then a main cat aft of the y-pipe. Simply replacing the OEM catted y-pipe with a non-catted y-pipe results in a legit 12whp/15wtq. The only downside to the mod was a hiss or what many of us referred to as the "bees in a can". It really wasn't bad and was only noticeable at WOT above 5500rpms. To the unsuspecting competitor, it sounded faintly like turbo spool. I wonder if this setup as the same "bees"

It is absolutely thrilling to see someone think outside of the box and try all this new stuff. Not only are you assessing the mods for all out power, you're also assessing them for throttle response and overall driveability. That is huge, IMO. I really respect all you're doing here and you've got my applause.

BTW, I'll test out one of those y-pipes for you here in Kansas City on one of our many Dynojets and make some 1/4 mile passes and give you the most critical opinion you could ever get

Old 07-20-2008, 01:55 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by GrayG35
i thought you said it wouldnt work on a dual exhaust system when i asked if it would fit on the xo2 or hks........ also what are the gains if used on the stock exhaust with the non resonated open pipe?
It can't. At least not on anything other than the Motordyne TDX.

Without test pipes connected, I don't think it will do much on a otherwise fully stock exhaust. The XYZ has a 3" outlet and the stock midpipe is 2.5".

With test pipes, yes, it will. The stock cats are quite restrictive. Anything can flow better than the stock cats.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Motordyne - Tony