Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Exhaust System Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust System Suggestions?

Hi all,

I'm new user here also new to mod my first car. Actually I had 2004 RX8 and put Intake and Exhaust from Mazdaspeed by dealer but I changed to G ('03) Coupe last year, too bad I bought the Auto one instead of MT, but I'm glad when I run into bad traffic

I currently put basic things like Pop Charger w/Z Tube, Spark Plugs, Hyper Ground Kit, Motordyne Plenum Spacers w/ISO, Pulley Kit...

I test'ed with 335Ci and felt like my car was way to slow for them

Now I'm thinking between get more power or go for exterior?

1st = Get body kit with Brembo / Project MU for look
2nd = Get Supercharger? I have no idea about Supercharger and how to install? Could someone explain how it works and do I need anything else besides the kit? If it works with stock exhaust, mayb I will get one.
3rd = Get Exhaust system... problem is when I visit most sites online in CA, USA... I always confuse about exhaust, which one I have to get or all? For sure, Headers, and Exhaust, how about Y-Pipe and Hi-Flow, Cat? This is pretty new for me because I put Exhaust for my old ride, it was complete set, so I don't know if I should buy the one like $1100-1300 or buy them seperatly?

Do they have to be the same brand to get best combination for max HP/TQ? or can I mix them up? If so, which brand for each part you would recommend?

What's estimate RWHP / TQ I'd get for whole Exhaust system?

PS: My Budget is about $4-5k

Sorry for my bad English skills, thanks for upcoming suggestions...

Old 06-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
They do not have to be the same brand, some will argue that it will help with fitment but most are made to fit stock parts anyhow so it shouldnt be an issue.

I would guess you are probably looking at the HKS, since most people do and it seems that even more CA folks prefer it. If not check that one out or even the Fast Intentions, they are the two most preferred systems, considerably different sounds. If you plan on going with an S/C system or any forced induction you will want the 3" dominator FI system, I do not know the piping size of the HKS but it doesnt stop people for using it. Both systems are from the cats back and are true-dual setups so they do not require the purchase of a y-pipe.

If your budget of 4-5K is for exhaust parts only, then you can also afford to get headers and high flow cats ($300-600). Fast intentions makes HFC's as well. Headers you can find new and used from $300-$1000 from brands like DC, Borla, Stillen, Strup, Nismo, Kinetics and Im sure I left out a few others. The headers and HFC's should be compatible with the HKS as well.

My suggestion, buy the headers and HFC first and then have them installed by someone, the header install can be fairly difficult if you're not handy with tools. Then buy and install the exhaust yourself, it should be very easy and straight forward.

As for aero, if you have money left, buy a nice front lip and call it a day.

If that 4-5K is for all of the stuff you want to do, I would say a BBK is out of the question, but you could do the HFC's and HKS/FI exhaust plus some aero if you wanted a little bit of both. For the brakes you could probably get away with some nice rotors and pads to increase brake performance instead of a big brake kit.

good luck!

Old 06-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so the true-dual & cat back, I dont need Y-Pipe right? with or without it should be better for power?

So, you'd recommend getting headers+HFC @the same time right? one of them itself doesn't make any different?

Here is what I'm planning to buy...

STILLEN Y-Pipe (Mayb since you said I might not need Y pipe)
STILLEN Headers
STILLEN Exhaust System's or HKS? <<< what model I need for HKS tho?
STILLEN Hi-Flow Catalytic Converters

which would cost me about $2,400 is that a good deal for exhaust? and what else do I need?

For headers, DC is better for HP (12.5) while Stillen (11.9) but Stillen would give more TQ which I'd prefer =)

Last question, polished stainless and ceramic coated for headers make a big different?

Old 06-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
There are like 6457 Exhaust System recommendation threads out here. Please just do us a favor and search.

I don't like being tough on this but there's even a 44 post thread a few threads below this one about the same subject (https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-exhaust/224771-can-someone-reccomend-exhaust.html)

You will find plenty of information using our search feature on a topic like this. In these threads, all you're going to get is just purely subjective opinions. It's best you decide what you want with your own conclusion.

Goodluck

Last edited by Skaterbasist; 06-04-2008 at 07:45 PM.