Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Went back to stock exhaust from true dual X02

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I truely envy you guys that can handle driving loud V6 cars as daily drivers. I can't handle the rasp, drone, vibrations, reduced lowend response, and everything else negative that comes with running a loud exhaust on these cars. Been there done that with the Borla true dual of my G and my old 94 Z28. I guess I'm getting too old.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Dave, I don't have any rasp or lowend loss. But I do have the drone from the rear muffler. Considering replacing the Borla muffler with another resonated X pipe that I have up front.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
I truely envy you guys that can handle driving loud V6 cars as daily drivers. I can't handle the rasp, drone, vibrations, reduced lowend response, and everything else negative that comes with running a loud exhaust on these cars. Been there done that with the Borla true dual of my G and my old 94 Z28. I guess I'm getting too old.
I have a Magnaflow resonated x-pipe in place of the X02 resonators. Much, MUCH quieter. It is quieter now than it was before the test pipes.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jairen
I have a Magnaflow resonated x-pipe in place of the X02 resonators. Much, MUCH quieter. It is quieter now than it was before the test pipes.
Could you possibly link to exactly what you are talking about? I have an HKS but I'd imagine it would work the same in quieting it down?

Old 03-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I now have a custom exhaust.. Heres a really bad pic that is OLD.. Since this pic i've found a place that did mandrel bends and they re-did my exhaust..

Anyway its full custom.. It sounds absolutely incredible but I do have some drone.. I am running a stillen X pipe along with stillen mid pipes and megan racing CF mufflers with titanium tips. It is 2.5 inch all the way.

Name:  PICT0076.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  169.2 KB

Should I hack up my X pipe and put in a magnaflow res. X pipe??

Old 03-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by tragedycat
Could you possibly link to exactly what you are talking about? I have an HKS but I'd imagine it would work the same in quieting it down?
http://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhau...id-inside.html

It did wonders for my exhaust. I have test pipes and it would rasp HARD under WOT. This has taken away a lot of the rasp and most of the freeway drone. If you don't have test pipes or HFC's like I do, yours will be even quieter.

You can get the Magnaflow x-pipe from performance peddler for $77 shipped.
http://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhau...cepeddler.html

Here's my video on the dyno. Keep in mind this is at WOT with test pipes so under normal everyday driving, it's really quiet even with TP's.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by officerdbag
I now have a custom exhaust.. Heres a really bad pic that is OLD.. Since this pic i've found a place that did mandrel bends and they re-did my exhaust..

Anyway its full custom.. It sounds absolutely incredible but I do have some drone.. I am running a stillen X pipe along with stillen mid pipes and megan racing CF mufflers with titanium tips. It is 2.5 inch all the way.

Should I hack up my X pipe and put in a magnaflow res. X pipe??
Do you have a video of the current exhaust? Do you have TP's or HFC's.

Looking at your exhaust, you will probably benefit more since you also have resonators. If your goal is to clean up the sound of the exhaust and reduce any drone, I say go for it.

When i installed my x-pipe, I took measurements of the where the merge was on the Motordyne XYZ pipe and installed my x-pipe at around the same location. According to MD, the merge is key. I put down 292.7 on Church's dyno on a fairly warm day which proves the exhaust is helping.

Go with Magnaflow 11385 or 14385 if you want polished. The unpolished is only $77 shipped.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a total of 4 resonators and 2 mufflers.. Or as my exhaust guy said I have 6 resonators.

I am runnin stock headers > Megan racing resonated test pipes> Stillen X pipe> Stillen dual mid pipes with resonators> Megan racing mufflers.

I do have some rasp that I can hear while driving inside the car, BUT you cannot hear the rasp if my car does a fly by. Not to brag but I think my car sounds sick as ***! My friend was driving it around a local track and I was really impressed.

I only want to reduce the drone I have and take away the the small amount of rasp in the cabin.. I am going with long tubes in the future which would take away my resonated test pipes so it may benefit if I got my x pipe resonated too.

sorry no videos yet :/

Old 03-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jairen
http://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhau...id-inside.html

It did wonders for my exhaust. I have test pipes and it would rasp HARD under WOT. This has taken away a lot of the rasp and most of the freeway drone. If you don't have test pipes or HFC's like I do, yours will be even quieter.

You can get the Magnaflow x-pipe from performance peddler for $77 shipped.
http://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhau...cepeddler.html

Here's my video on the dyno. Keep in mind this is at WOT with test pipes so under normal everyday driving, it's really quiet even with TP's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icbzSlrNdBc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1XZkRYkRis
Thank you very much, will look into this for sure.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just now installing my Borla exhaust, what test pipe should i get? and what is the difference between getting a test pipe or just going with High flow cats? HP gain wise?