Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Exhaust headers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust headers

I am looking at all the exhaust headers out there and wanted to know who might have some and what their recommendations might be? I am looking at the crawfordzcar.com headers and now I'm wondering what laws might apply to these as well? Are we allowed to put headers on the car and high flow cats? Basically this is what I want done :
1.) Crawford V5 Plenum
2.) Injen CAI (already done)
3.) Borla exhaust (on order)
4.) Headers (don't know which brand yet)
5.) High-Flow cats (don't know which brand yet)

Also, will the high flow cats bolt directly on after market headers and aftermarket cat-back exhaust or do I have to find components that all match? Any help would be great!

Thanks a bunch everyone.

-J

Just got the G! :-)~

Old 04-27-2004, 10:10 PM
Re: Exhaust headers

Hey Jeremy. I asked my friend who is the head technician at Acura of Westmont the same question before and he told me that there is no law against changing the headers on cars but it is illegal for you to change your catalytic converters if there are nothing wrong with them. But at the same time, we are not in California where they are very strict on inspecting vehicles w/ exhaust mods. I know the last time I went to take the emission test w/ my mom's Lexus, they just plugged a tester in it under the dash and they were done in less than five minutes. They didnt even put any kind of tester in at the muffler tip like before. By the way, I have read that the Crawford headers gives the best hp numbers beacuse they are equal length. Oh, I also sent you a PM too. Hope that helps a little.

Old 04-28-2004, 09:41 AM

I am moving to Cali though and wonder what will happen to me if I have headers and aftermarket cats on along with the Borla exhaust and Injen CAI. Do you think I would pass emissions? Anyone in live in Cali. have these mods???!!!

Help!

Thanks,
-J

Old 04-29-2004, 04:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aftermarket components must have a CARB (California Air Resources Board) exemption number to be smog legal. Your aftermarket cats won't be legal -- in fact, Federal law prevents you from using anything other than OEM cats for the first 50,000 miles. Your exhaust and CAI are probably fine, but you may want to check with the manufacturer's to be sure.

However, depending on where you go to get it smogged, they may not look at the cats as long as it passes the emissions test.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:12 PM

The Crawford and Kinetix Cats will likely pass a visual inspection. An inspector doesn't know what a stock cat looks like, and both the Crawford and Kinetix look like stock cats. My preference, the Crawfords.

Lou

Old 04-30-2004, 07:06 AM

Thanks Lou.

Old 04-30-2004, 07:16 AM

Yeah, Lou's right! The RT Cats look too similar to straight pipes to pass a visual inspection plus DOUG at Crawford seems to be a pretty cool guy. He is working hard to make the 350Z and G35 a better car, so you'd be supporting a good cause.

PLUG PLUG for Crawford...

Self proclaimed member of the 300bhp club (soon to be even more [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img])

Old 04-30-2004, 08:30 AM

Jeremy,
If you can wait a month, I'll give you a full report on the cats and the headers from Crawford. I've decided to drive up to Nashvegas and let him put both on as soon as I get the plenum installed myself.

I'll be taking before and after 0-60 runs and HP readings from a G Tech Comp with my current config, with the plenum, and then again with the headers/cats.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but chin spoiler/Z Tube-Popcharger/Crawford V5 Plenum on the way

Old 04-30-2004, 08:56 AM

Wow, sounds great! I would be interested to know the results so keep me informed.

-jeremy

Old 05-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Banned

any news?

04 5AT / TB / Willow / Premium / clear corners / Z-tube

Old 05-13-2004, 08:06 AM

Still waiting on my plenum .... if people would return their cores, I'd have it! First he estimated a Monday ship, then a Wednesday ship, it's Thursday and he hasn't called yet.

My plans are still the same...plenum, cats/headers (at the same time) but I'm starting to lean towards the Nismo exhaust and the Nismo CAI, replacing my Z tube/JWT pop charger.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but chin spoiler/Z Tube-Popcharger/Crawford V5 Plenum on the way