Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Ok, I wanted to do a STRAIGHT UP Comparison...Z-tube + JWT vs Z-tube + K&N Drop in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I wanted to do a STRAIGHT UP Comparison...Z-tube + JWT vs Z-tube + K&N Drop in

I know I have read about this here and there but there hasnt been enough info as far as a DIRECT comparison. I did a K&N drop in a few months ago and then started hearing about the Z-tube. Then I read some consistent things about the JWT and Z-tube combo. So I have the JWT and Z-tube, ready to put it on. NOW, I just read about possible losses in the low end, <3500, due to hot air being sucked in. I can say that I DEFINITELY dont want that. When you do a lot of city driving in ATL, you NEED that snap because some of these ppl down here cant drive...whether they wont let you over, are cutting you off, etc. You can't afford a drop off on the low end.

I must mention that SOUND is not the aim here. I dont care if it sounds better if there is a drop off.

Any thoughts? JWT+Z-tube or K&N Drop In + Z-tube

Thanks guys.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:44 PM
check out https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...92#post3252292 and do what this person did.

i personally have a drop in k&n and i'm happy with the sound and MPG. I'll be getting a ztube. the JWT looks nice but if that's the only mod you are ever going to do, it will drop the value of the car when you goto resell it.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks for your response. that link you sent seems to be someone who had problems with an install. They didnt really comment on which set up helped the car perform better. But thanks man. I guess thats one for the drop in. I should start a poll...

Old 07-22-2008, 03:40 PM
+1 for K&N and z-tube.

Do a search on popchargers....that is what the JWT was commonly called...there were a ton of threads 3-4 years ago regarding this subject....in fact, the popcharger caused some cars to stall due to the heat.

Also, do a search on "Dyno Days"....there were many dyno runs done comparing several set ups. The K&N and z-tube seemed the best to me. YMMV.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
so now that you have both, and you want a direct comparison, why not dyno it and let us know? I'm not sure what you are asking for here

Old 07-22-2008, 05:43 PM
I was going to get the z-tube jwt p/c combo but after doing some research i'm buying the z-tube and stillen combo because stillen has a much better heat shield than the JWT... here is the stillen http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...=&make=&model=

Old 07-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Memphis
+1 for K&N and z-tube.

Do a search on popchargers....that is what the JWT was commonly called...there were a ton of threads 3-4 years ago regarding this subject....in fact, the popcharger caused some cars to stall due to the heat.

Also, do a search on "Dyno Days"....there were many dyno runs done comparing several set ups. The K&N and z-tube seemed the best to me. YMMV.

Thanks bro. imma do just that. 'Preciate ya.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
so now that you have both, and you want a direct comparison, why not dyno it and let us know? I'm not sure what you are asking for here

Good Idea. I guess imma have to get on the web and see who has a shop down here in ATL. That WOULD be the best way compare. The ONLY problem with that is the fact that no cold air is going to come in the car so It may be a litle inaccurate. The stick set up with drop in filter is gonna suck in cooler air threw the duct where the JWT is gonna suck in hot air. Hmmm. Gotta see the best way to analyze this. You guys may see the JWT on ebay real soon, lol.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by kamek89
I was going to get the z-tube jwt p/c combo but after doing some research i'm buying the z-tube and stillen combo because stillen has a much better heat shield than the JWT... here is the stillen http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...=&make=&model=

Yeah I've seen that before. That has to be the best set up. I bet you the BEST part of the upgrade is the fact that you are converting to the Z-tube.

"...5 ponies at 5,700 RPM to the Coupe"

I dont know about you guys but I really dont wanna be up THAT high just to feel it...IT being 5 ponies, lol. Same thing with the JWT. I saw on the website that the real gain is close to 6000rpm. Interesting...

Thanks again.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
save your money, you can make a little more sound by removing the "power duct" portion of the intake box. I have had 2 different injen intakes and none of the intakes make any real power, I can feel the torque difference when I put my stock one back in, stock makes more!

Old 07-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by in2win
save your money, you can make a little more sound by removing the "power duct" portion of the intake box. I have had 2 different injen intakes and none of the intakes make any real power, I can feel the torque difference when I put my stock one back in, stock makes more!

Interesting...

Dont really care about the sound though. Thanks man!!!

Old 07-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Memphis
+1 for K&N and z-tube.

+2 k&N drop in and Z tube

Old 07-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
K&N, Z-tube, and remove the silencer below the factory airbox. The two 10mm bolts are tough to get out and very long for some dumb reason.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by speedgeek
+2 k&N drop in and Z tube

K&N + Z-Tube is winning, lol. Thanks

Old 07-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by twin001
K&N, Z-tube, and remove the silencer below the factory airbox. The two 10mm bolts are tough to get out and very long for some dumb reason.

Hmmm. Thats the first mention of the silencer since I've been here (havent been that long). Huge difference?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ok, I wanted to do a STRAIGHT UP Comparison...Z-tube + JWT vs Z-tube + K&N Drop in