Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Throttle Body Cleaning... Now CEL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys for all your help. I got the relearn procedure to work yesterday. Here is what I did different then the instructions mentioned above. Hopefully, other people don't have the same problem.

First off, the clutch does not need to be pushed in for the 6mt.

I disconnected the battery for about 10 hours. The Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning and the Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning are self explanatory.

For the Idle Air Volume Learning, I started the engine and drove around for 15 minutes. Before, I was just warming up the engine and heard from other people that this does not work.

Then, I followed the step until #5 of the instructions above. Before, I pressed and released the pedal 5 times within 5 secs and afterwards waited 7 secs and proceeded to the next step. Yesterday, I waited the full 5 seconds and waited another 7 secs.

Then, I pressed the pedal for 20 secs. After 20 secs, the CEL stopped blinking and was on. I released the pedal and turned the engine on within 3 secs and it started to idle like normal. I drove the car today and it seems like the ECM didn't forget what it learned.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by g20hybrid
I'm a service consultant for Infiniti of Santa Monica. Give me a call and I'll have one of my techs check it out. Call me at 310-500-1516, I'm George by the way.

Believe it or not, our detailers screwed up a several of T/B after detailing the engine bay.
Hey George,

Thanks for trying to help me out.

I was wondering if you are one of the service manager at Infiniti of Santa Monica. I have some problems with my car and was wondering if you can help me out get it covered with the warranty.

I went to Glendale Infiniti last year to try to get it fixed, and they were a bunch of jerks, saying it would take at least a week to fix my car and that they would not provide me a rent car because it was warranty work. Thanks.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by maxpusher
Thanks guys for all your help. I got the relearn procedure to work yesterday. Here is what I did different then the instructions mentioned above. Hopefully, other people don't have the same problem.

I disconnected the battery for about 10 hours. The Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning and the Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning are self explanatory.

For the Idle Air Volume Learning, I started the engine and drove around for 15 minutes. Before, I was just warming up the engine and heard from other people that this does not work.

Then, I followed the step until #5 of the instructions above. Before, I pressed and released the pedal 5 times within 5 secs and afterwards waited 7 secs and proceeded to the next step. Yesterday, I waited the full 5 seconds and waited another 7 secs.

Then, I pressed the pedal for 20 secs. After 20 secs, the CEL stopped blinking and was on. I released the pedal and turned the engine on within 3 secs and it started to idle like normal. I drove the car today and it seems like the ECM didn't forget what it learned.
maxpusher, please visit the infinitihelp thread for that DIY video and post up your issue/solution.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:44 PM
i wanted to throw in my 2 cents since i read about everyones problems after cleaning their trottlebody and getting the high-idle problem.

I just changed my Stillen intake filter and while i was at it, decided to clean my MAF sensor and throttlebody this morning. I left the throttlebody on the intake plenum while i cleaned it since i didn't have another gasket. here's what I did and everything worked out fine.

1) Car was cold since it sat overnight in the garage and i worked on it first thing in the morning
2) Disconnected Stillen intake and engine cover and proceeded to clean throttlebody with throttlebody cleaner, and cleaned the MAF sensor with CRC MAF sensor cleaner.
3) Put everything back together
******AT THIS POINT DO NOT START THE CAR BACK UP YET******
4) Did the ECU reset procedure
5) Did the Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning Procedure
6) Did the Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
7) Started the car and warmed it up to operating temperature. The idle will be high (around 900rpm) but don't worry just yet. Let the car warm up for a good 10 minutes. After i let it warm up I took the car out around the block for a couple laps to make sure the operating temperature was really warm and where it should be.
8) Drove car back into garage and turned car off.
9) Did the Idle Air Volume Learning Procedure
10) Car is idling and operating normally again.

I couldn't have done this without reading up on everyone's problems and deciding to do it this way since everyone had so many different results. I just wanted to let you know what worked for me in case anyone in the future runs into this issue and hopefully this helps them out. Thanks for the info to everyone who had to go through the trouble and learn the hard way just so i can read up on it and make sure i did it correctly. This board rocks!

Old 11-11-2008, 05:25 PM
hey guys dumb question but when do the throttle body relearn the only light i can get to blink and then stay solid is the service engine light. I have never seen the cel light everyone is referring to. Is this ok or am i not doing it right. I managed to get my idle to drop down from 1k to about 700. Please let me know. thanks

Old 11-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by mpapers
hey guys dumb question but when do the throttle body relearn the only light i can get to blink and then stay solid is the service engine light. I have never seen the cel light everyone is referring to. Is this ok or am i not doing it right. I managed to get my idle to drop down from 1k to about 700. Please let me know. thanks
CEL and SES = same thing... I think the Zs say check engine, ours say service engine soon... the one that is blinking for you is the ones referenced.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In CA, the parts stores will not let you rent OBD II scanners. The mechanics filed a claim saying they are taking there business.

The car is idling just under 1000 rpm - while driving and when performing the procedures listed below.

When i punch my gas to a higher rpm from idling, as the rpms come down back to 1000, it jumps up to 1500 and then settles back to 1000. Is this normal?

Here is how I do the relearn procedure. My car is a 6MT. I don't know if I should be pressing the clutch or not.

Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning
1) Leave ACC pedal "as is”
2) Turn IGN switch “ON” – at least 2 sec
3) Turn IGN switch “OFF” – at least 10 sec
4) Turn IGN switch “ON” – at least 2 sec
5) Turn IGN switch “OFF” – at least 10 sec

Wait 10 sec for next procedure

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
1) Leave ACC pedal “as is”
2) Turn IGN switch “ON” – appr 3-4 sec

Wait 10 sec for next procedure

Idle Air Volume Learning
1) Leave ACC pedal “as is”
2) Start engine and warm up to operating temp – temp gauge around middle
4) Turn IGN switch “ON” – 3 sec
5) Fully depress and release ACC pedal – 5 times within 5 sec
6) Wait 7 sec
7) Fully depress ACC pedal for appr 20 sec – during this time CEL blinks
8) When CEL light is “ON”, not blinking – fully release ACC pedal
9) Turn the engine “ON” within 3 sec
10) Start engine and idle
11) Wait 20 sec
12) Rev engine 2-3 times and check IDLE and TIMING

IDLE = 950 rpm
TIMING = ? – don’t have a tool to check

Let me know if I am doing anything wrong. Thanks.
This absolutely works, thanks! Timing is totally critical. Takes practice!

Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm having that prob also. i did the procedure a few times today it worked great. my idle went down like it should but as soon as i shut the car off and started it back up it went back to high idle again. i have my battery disconnected now. did that work for you after you shut your car off that day?

Old 07-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts
sweet, this procedure is dead on and works great.

Old 10-19-2021, 02:10 AM
MBJ
Nissan 350z 2008
High Idle Nissan 350Z VQ35HR

After cleaning left throttle body of my 350z, idle is at 1100 to 1000.
already perform jumping padle method.
help me out to fix this isssue.

Old 10-22-2021, 11:05 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,468 Likes on 2,160 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
No clue what this "jumping padle method" is but you should perform the idle air recalibration steps listed in the FSM section EC - Engine Controls under "basic service procedures".

Old 10-22-2021, 12:23 PM
Received 350 Likes on 301 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
"jumping pedal method"? I suppose if you are stomping "five times within five seconds" with vigor, it could be termed jumping....