Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Exhaust Dump... Good or Bad in your opinion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Dump... Good or Bad in your opinion?

Ok semi-newb question here...

I did a search for a while through the forums but could only find info about TT dumps. So yes I did a search prior to asking.

I recently acquired my G and there were some previous mods that have been done already; Injen CAI is the only performance one I could see. No idea why though they never invested in an intake spacer. Anyways, one I noticed today was that I have an exhaust dump welded into place after the cats (after the factory Y join). Now I'm fully aware that it would be crazy loud, and not to mention highly illegal, to run it on the street with it open.

But my question is,
If and when I take her to the track, will there be a substantial gain from utilizing this? Also is this healthy or harmful for a stock G35c 5at? Also I know that I risk leaking my exhaust afterwards if the previous gasket needs replaced or I ruin it and don't have a back up.

So that this thread is not completely useless, here are some pics of what the previous owner did. Like I said, I'm assuming this is attached to factory exhaust as it looks welded into the middle and not the highest quality of workmanship either. I do apologize as thay were taken quickly with my cell phone cam. Enjoy the nice view of Pennsylvania rust as well lol.

I had a stock NA 3000gt before and I dropped the exhaust once after the cat and it sounded mean as hell parked but when driven, it sounded just god awful. Performance wise it was a very minor gain in the butt-o-meter. Never tested with dyno or track because of risk though.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something tells me someone willing to do that may have modified the car more than you think...

Gaskets are pretty cheap from the dealership if you ever need them.

As far as the gains, I would guess you might notice some gain. I'd be interested to see a dyno to see what happens. Is there a dump on both sides? Or just one?

EDIT: I've had my FI exhaust so long I forgot the stocker isn't a true dual

Last edited by BlueDevilBAMF; 08-24-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:57 PM
From what I can tell there isn't anything else done. With these engine bays I can't get a good look in there too much, but I know for sure there are no Turbos; no intercoolers nor a BOV. Not to mention the car is not that strong at all to be FI. Intake makes it sound like it might be but I'm 99.9% sure seeing as no PSI gauge or even a visible SC.

It just dumps the one way towards the driver’s side. Simple tri-oval size so yeah gaskets would be cheap anywhere. Looking at plenum, it looks as if it seals up pretty tight with no spacer. I haven't visibly seen a spacer in tact in person nor in pics yet but it seems obvious that there isn't one.

I plan on taking it to the track to see what she'll run semi-stock. So now that I know this is there I'll try it as well. Hopefully my 60 times and launch remain consistent enough to provide decent or credible data.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^
I meant that if there were more extensive mods they may have been removed.

Then again, there may not have been, because most people will buy an aftermarket exhaust instead of modifying the stocker.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:04 PM
I considered that as well. It was the first thing that went through my head and then I realized; why would they modify the stock exhaust if they were adding more enhancements to it??? Go aftermarket right...

I figured the owner might have had one of these sections, or possibly a friend that had one, laying around that wasn't being used so they threw it on as a quick mod.