Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Another Motordyne Spacer Impression

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Motordyne Spacer Impression

My 03.5 sedan had sat untouched for a while now but recently I got bitten by the mod bug again and decided to see what was out there. The community here has been great at giving me ideas and based on everyone's recommendation I got the Motordyne 5/16" spacer. I was a little skeptical at first that this thin piece of metal would ever make a difference but now that its on, I have to say that I'm very happy. Its not a big kick in the pants type of mod but there is a noticeable increase in response that you can feel right from 2500 rpm and up. Where my car used to feel lethargic it now feels like there is power underfoot. Where normally I might give it enough gas to kick it down a gear, I now have enough oomph to do the same with less throttle. It feels like there is more power in reserve. The great thing is that this improvement is useful for everyday driving and not just WOT ripping around though its great up top as well. I do have a Z-tube and a K&N in the stock box so I'm not sure if the results would be the same with the spacer alone.

Installation wise the instructions were good but you need to read it really carefully to pick up the details. If you skim over it you might miss things, some of them critical. Toughest part was really the removal of the coolant hoses to the plenum. They are tight and it can be hard to get at initially and we ended up disconnecting it at the other end of the hose instead of at the plenum. But you'll only need to do that if you are doing the copper throttle body heater upgrade with the copper iso kits. Overall it took my buddy and I about 3 hours in labor. We both have experience doing some wrenching but we're not experts by any means.

So you're on the fence about getting one, I would suggest you to go for it. I think its as good as everyone says it is and while it won't win you any races, its fantastic improvement over stock for just a couple of hundred bucks. On a final note, if you have any questions not answered on the forum, you should PM Hydrazine. He's been awesome at answering my install questions and it doesn't get any better than getting answers from the guys who make it. Thanks Tony. Now if only they would start selling their new exhaust already.

Last edited by Vancouver_G35; 09-02-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i bought one its been sitting in my room for a month lol im planning to install it soon though any more tips? or things i should be aware of? also did u use a tq wrench?

Old 09-10-2008, 07:59 AM
+1

it was one of the best mods for my 05 rev-up coupe

Old 09-10-2008, 03:55 PM
I did use a torque wrench but I wasn't able to source out one that had inch lbs. I ended buying a old school needle type torque wrench but even then it was in ft. lbs and I had to convert and guesstimate. Accuracy on this type of tool is questionable, however, none of my bolts snapped and I'm positive that they weren't torqued much more 9 ft. lbs which is about 108 inch lbs. Its better to have something than nothing and at least I know I torqued all the bolts to a consistent standard.

If I had had a tip it would be to get a buddy to help if nothing than just help you hold the parts or lift up the plenum while you work on aligning stuff or bolting/unbolting stuff. Makes it a lot easier.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:21 PM
I put the spacer onto my 2003 and it really did make a difference. I also fitted an injen short ram induction kit. together they should of added about 22 horse power and when you put your foot down the roar from the engine is great

Old 11-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Just installed the same setup yesterday (MD 5/16", Z-tube, K&N filter). All I can say is dyammmn! Why didn't I install this when it first came out?

Old 11-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm looking to get one still. Sounds like it is a good idea.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by Vancouver_G35
I did use a torque wrench but I wasn't able to source out one that had inch lbs. I ended buying a old school needle type torque wrench but even then it was in ft. lbs and I had to convert and guesstimate. Accuracy on this type of tool is questionable, however, none of my bolts snapped and I'm positive that they weren't torqued much more 9 ft. lbs which is about 108 inch lbs. Its better to have something than nothing and at least I know I torqued all the bolts to a consistent standard.

If I had had a tip it would be to get a buddy to help if nothing than just help you hold the parts or lift up the plenum while you work on aligning stuff or bolting/unbolting stuff. Makes it a lot easier.
Picked mine up at Harbor Freight ($19.99US). Don't know if you have them there. Most Auto Zones lend out tools also.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:57 AM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
+1 on have a friend help you install, the coolant hoses were a pain to get off, esp. the ones near the fire wall...

Old 01-16-2009, 10:22 PM
+1 AWESOME MOD! Get the MREV2 now and really get that kick in the ***** >.<