Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Bit the bullet, got the MD 5/16th spacer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 12:30 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Any down sides or wearing on the engine with the spacer?

Old 12-07-2008, 01:18 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
What intake are you using?
I was using a pop charger and stillen tube combo and switched to a fujita.

Also curious as to why infiniti wouldnt put this on our cars.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:10 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by AARONHL
Any down sides or wearing on the engine with the spacer?
None at all.

If this was nitrous or a turbo that would be a different story. Simple breather mods like this won't have any negative effect.

Tony

Old 12-07-2008, 02:37 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
I was using a pop charger and stillen tube combo and switched to a fujita.

Also curious as to why infiniti wouldnt put this on our cars.
Is it a short ram or long tube?
Does it have a heat shield on it?

If there is no heat shield, that would explain the loss of power. Induction of hot air (~150'F) from the engine compartment will easily drop 10 to 15 HP.
Hot air reduces power quickly. If it doesn't have a heat shield, put the popcharger back on.

--------

Infiniti did put it on our car starting in 2005 with the REVUP engine. Not specifically a spacer, but it was a change in the lower plenum design to correct the flow restriction of the prior plenum design. They added more clearance between the upper and lower plenum so it could breath easier.

But when they changed the lower plenum to fix one problem, they also made another change to the design. A change they shouldn't have done.

They made the intake runners shorter. ...Too short.

This changed the tuning frequency of the runner to too high a level and they ended up losing a lot of torque and area under the curve.

So when they fixed one problem, they created a new and totally different one. Their fix generated about 12 HP at high RPM but the new problem lost about 15HP and 18TQ in the midrange RPM.

And when this new REVUP engine came out, I asked myself the question "Why did they put this new lower plenum on the new engine?"

The new lower plenum on the REVUP engine was a miserable design. Yes, it made more peak power but it severely compromised power everywhere else on the RPM curve.

A plenum spacer can easily produce 12 HP at high RPM too and it won't compromise the midrange RPM. This is what Nissan (Infiniti) should have done.

So I took the stock plenum from an 04 engine and put it on an 05 engine and included a spacer... and it made much more power than the stock 05 plenum design.

This is when the first generation MREV was born. It was an 04 lower plenum with a plenum spacer installed on the newer REVUP engine.

So yes, they did try to fix the problem. And technically they succeed, but they also ended up making a new problem that was even worse than the fix.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Is it a short ram or long tube?
Does it have a heat shield on it?

If there is no heat shield, that would explain the loss of power. Induction of hot air (~150'F) from the engine compartment will easily drop 10 to 15 HP.
Hot air reduces power quickly. If it doesn't have a heat shield, put the popcharger back on.

--------

Infiniti did put it on our car starting in 2005 with the REVUP engine. Not specifically a spacer, but it was a change in the lower plenum design to correct the flow restriction of the prior plenum design. They added more clearance between the upper and lower plenum so it could breath easier.

But when they changed the lower plenum to fix one problem, they also made another change to the design. A change they shouldn't have done.

They made the intake runners shorter. ...Too short.

This changed the tuning frequency of the runner to too high a level and they ended up losing a lot of torque and area under the curve.

So when they fixed one problem, they created a new and totally different one. Their fix generated about 12 HP at high RPM but the new problem lost about 15HP and 18TQ in the midrange RPM.

And when this new REVUP engine came out, I asked myself the question "Why did they put this new lower plenum on the new engine?"

The new lower plenum on the REVUP engine was a miserable design. Yes, it made more peak power but it severely compromised power everywhere else on the RPM curve.

A plenum spacer can easily produce 12 HP at high RPM too and it won't compromise the midrange RPM. This is what Nissan (Infiniti) should have done.

So I took the stock plenum from an 04 engine and put it on an 05 engine and included a spacer... and it made much more power than the stock 05 plenum design.

This is when the first generation MREV was born. It was an 04 lower plenum with a plenum spacer installed on the newer REVUP engine.

So yes, they did try to fix the problem. And technically they succeed, but they also ended up making a new problem that was even worse than the fix.

Hmm...
So if I understand right then the only difference from the 04s and 05s is the lower plenum? Is that what account for the extra 38hp? In your opinion then what would be the best setup if as far as fun to drive power: 04 lower plenum with spacer, 04 with MREV and spacer, 05 with spacer, 05 with mrev and spacer?

And thank you for the great information.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:14 AM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
I've bit the bullet too I guess.

I've installed my md5/16 spacer. but It was missing one of the screws from outside of the plenum so I used the old one,( who thinks that would cause any problems?)

Also Like an Idiot I noticed that I Had to remove the entire plenum and replace that old gasket with 6 holes under the plenum(who thinks that'll cause anyproblems ?) lol I dont feel like opening that thing back up again...

Also when the car is running for a WHILE, it drops to about 6-700rpms and rumps back up to 800s Why would that happen? I checked for airleaks Couldnt detect any...

GOOD PART. IT Pulls like an animal. Even with the heavy g37 19s on

Ztube K&N filter Labree hfcs borla td exhaust and spacer, pulls like ride from hell =X

Old 12-07-2008, 05:24 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry guys who were waiting for my response. I actually didn't communicate correctly what I was trying to say from the last part of my previous post. It sounded like I was saying that Infiniti purposely didn't put in a plenum spacer in our cars for whatever reason, but what I meant to say was that Infiniti SHOULD have thought about including the plenum spacer for reasons of 1) allowing the engine to breathe more; 2) reducing heat soak and 3) increasing air density, thus increasing engine power by 10+ HP (depending on which type of spacer you get).

Again, sorry for any misunderstanding and confusion I may have caused to those reading my post in this thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by KrazyZenki
Hmm...
So if I understand right then the only difference from the 04s and 05s is the lower plenum? Is that what account for the extra 38hp?
Supposedly, but there isn't a 38 HP difference. It was for marketing reasons that they rated the 04 Sedan so low. Even though it had the exact same engine as the 350Z in the same year, with the same power. Infiniti rated it lower.

At least on paper, they didn't want the Sedan to have the same power as the Coup or the 350Z. So they under rated it.

I have both a 04 G35 Sedan with a non-revup and a 06 350Z with revup engine. And if they both have the MREV2 and spacer installed, they dyno identically.

Originally Posted by KrazyZenki
In your opinion then what would be the best setup if as far as fun to drive power: 04 lower plenum with spacer, 04 with MREV and spacer, 05 with spacer, 05 with mrev and spacer?

And thank you for the great information.
Do you have the REVUP engine?

If yes, the spacer with MREV2 is mandatory.
If no, start with the spacer and leave the MREV2 as an option.

Tony

Old 12-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by iiiiiekoiiiii
I've bit the bullet too I guess.

I've installed my md5/16 spacer. but It was missing one of the screws from outside of the plenum so I used the old one,( who thinks that would cause any problems?)
Probably not. But PM me your adress and I'll send you another bolt.

Originally Posted by iiiiiekoiiiii
Also Like an Idiot I noticed that I Had to remove the entire plenum and replace that old gasket with 6 holes under the plenum(who thinks that'll cause anyproblems ?) lol I dont feel like opening that thing back up again...

Also when the car is running for a WHILE, it drops to about 6-700rpms and rumps back up to 800s Why would that happen? I checked for airleaks Couldnt detect any...
Did you use the regular or Iso thermal spacer?

Old 12-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by lexusk8
Sorry guys who were waiting for my response. I actually didn't communicate correctly what I was trying to say from the last part of my previous post. It sounded like I was saying that Infiniti purposely didn't put in a plenum spacer in our cars for whatever reason, but what I meant to say was that Infiniti SHOULD have thought about including the plenum spacer for reasons of 1) allowing the engine to breathe more; 2) reducing heat soak and 3) increasing air density, thus increasing engine power by 10+ HP (depending on which type of spacer you get).

Again, sorry for any misunderstanding and confusion I may have caused to those reading my post in this thread
Right on. Sometimes I can do that too.

I type out a subject thinking I am conveying a particular thought. But when others read it, they read something completely different or incomplete from what I intended.

Oh well, that's the internet.

Many times, the internet can be bad for our english and grammer skills but then again it gives us a lot of practice and feedback.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I have a 2005 MT6 sedan (rev-up) and installed the MREV2 that I bought from another member on the forum. WOW! It just woke up this motor! I wish I had access to a dyno (well maybe now I do with my iPhone Dynolisous program!) so I could test this. Butt dyno says it is very noticeable.

Something to ponder if you are buying one second hand. Make sure you get a pic of it and send it to Tony, there are lots of fakes and copies out there and NONE OF THEM WORK. Only true MD products perform as they advertise.

And NO, I don't work for MD nor do I have a financial interest in them.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:04 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
No heat shield? that explains it. Well, i still have the pop charger and i think im just going to add the PC shield onto the fujita similar to what G35Papa did.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
If I were to put a spacer and MREV2 on my 2004, would kind of horsepower/torque gains are we talking about?

Old 12-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Below is a comparison of Stock Vs Spacer Vs MREV2 Vs Spacer with MREV2. All of this testing was performed on a 2004 G35 Sedan with the non-revup engine.

Also see this link to an independent test on a NON-REVUP engine.

http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.p...ighlight=mrev2

Here is a link to independent testing on the REVUP engine

http://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhau...-included.html

Old 12-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
I bought the Skunk2 and wish I had bought the Motordyne 5/16. I think I lost a little down low torque and since I don't wind the car out alot the upper gain is not what I was looking for. I will most likely get the MD 5/16 in the future.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bit the bullet, got the MD 5/16th spacer