Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

z tube help!!! asap!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by norcal2006g35
Soo u kept the stock box n got the z tube right? Soooo do u even have to remove the whole box? I didn't think soo? When I get the z tube u take off all the rubber stuff off the g tube and slip it back on the z tube correct? Sooo when u punch it u can hear it right ...better then stock..
I felt stupid when I came back to the forums and discovered I didn't have to remove the whole box to get the gtube off.

However the gtube was a pain to remove until I got the entire box/gtube out with all the clamps loosened and the 4 bronze screws removed.

I had to pry on the bottom rubber part to seperate the airbox side while pulling like hell. It finally came out after a while. I then installed the K& N filter then I realigned and reattached the stock airbox back to the ztube.

The problem I have was when I tried putting everything back into the car. The stock airbox is not going back into the grove it used to sit flush with before I removed it and that part is driving me nuts.

Basically its about an inch higher on the side where the black screw is that fastens the stock airbox to the chassis

Old 02-01-2009, 01:13 PM
That's the part I need help with ^ ^

I'm forever greatful to anyone who can chime in on this. I'm sure its not a big problem

Old 02-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im instaling mine on monday...!! Can't wait!! Gunna be sweet but yea I hope I don't have any problems...what do u think it could be.. Not the z tube right? Cuz when I put the knN filter I took the cover off and popped the clamps slid it in and that was it! Sooo over all how would u rate taking that crap off.? Honestly man I have no clue to help u since i ve never wokred on those kind of motors!!

Old 02-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Im instaling mine on monday...!! Can't wait!! Gunna be sweet but yea I hope I don't have any problems...what do u think it could be.. Not the z tube right? Cuz when I put the knN filter I took the cover off and popped the clamps slid it in and that was it! Sooo over all how would u rate taking that crap off.? Honestly man I have no clue to help u since i ve never wokred on those kind of motors!!
My engine bay was a little dusty so I'm sure it played some kind of role in adding friction on the gtube removal side.

I just wish I never took the stock airbox all the way off. Its definately not the ztube for sure. I reset the ECU as well after I was done installing everything last night (MD 5/16 CITPS and the ztube/K&N filter) and that definately helped 100 fold since the car has to relearn that is now has both mods. The best part no CEL and everything fit perfectly back together.

Now I just have to solve this part and I can enjoy the long drive to my friend's house and catch the Superbowl party this afternoon

Old 02-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
tiguy: there are two plastic nipples on the bottom of the airbox that have to kind of "pop" into the rubber grommets under there. difficult to see but if you reach down and feel, ill bet that yours arnt sitting in the grommets. take a look

Old 02-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Ok. I think I found what I'm looking for....BRB

page EM15-16 in the coupe service manual

Old 02-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Ok ok now my next question is how did u reset your ecu...unhook the batteries for 24 hours..?? Or is that a myth.. I've heard sooo many ways but wich one did u use?

Old 02-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Got it done! It wasn't too difficult the shop manual helped 100 fold. The best instructions to reset the ECU can be found in Tony's manual for the Motordyne Copper Iso Thermal Plenum Spacer.

Take a look here

Its on the last page of the MREV and Plenum Spacer manual.

He also has a few other very useful reset techniques

Old 02-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Sooo is the spacer really worth it... did u notice a differnce? And what did u get yours for? Just making sure its worth gettin? Mod bug has hit me hard

Old 02-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sooo is the spacer really worth it... did u notice a differnce? And what did u get yours for? Just making sure its worth gettin? Mod bug has hit me hard
highly rec. it! best bang for the buck dude.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:46 PM
One word yes... Search and you'll see why. Best mod for the buck this see of going F-I

I paid 185 for my set. I took my time and bought the pieces thru the forums ( my350 and driver).

I'm still at my friends house and let's just say I can't wait to do the 25 mile drive home in about 15 mins

Old 02-03-2009, 10:47 PM
soooo i installed that stuff and woot!!! sounds awsome!!!! love it,,,i feel it a lil,....butt dyno but yes i just oerder the meganracing testpipes to beef up that stock sound and they are resonated!!!! does anyone have these and do they like em???

Old 02-04-2009, 02:09 PM
See bro! I'm glad you went for it and its a good mod isn't it. Did you do the plenum spacer too or just the ztube?

You should get the revup airbox like I'm doing so we can benefit from more air with the velocity stack in the airbox.

As for Cats, I've decided to run some hi flow cats. I'm currently investigating the Berk, Crawford and Kinetix units. I've been hearing the raves about the Fast Intension ones too so now I'm learning all about those as well.

Good luck with your setup. Its coming along nicely

Old 02-04-2009, 03:37 PM
the rev up air box? isnt the 06 a rev up motor? and i definatley want the plenum spacer.. but im not sure wich one i wanna go with,,,...? soo many brands i dont wanna go really exspensive but medium, ammount of money, i got a set from my boy who owns a shop here in ks, got a brand new set of resonated testpipes. from megan racing 150 shipped..!! awsome deal! juss curious on how they sound.?? where would i get a nice plenum spacer? for like 150?

Old 02-05-2009, 02:06 AM
the rev up air box? isnt the 06 a rev up motor? and i definatley want the plenum spacer.. but im not sure wich one i wanna go with,,,...? soo many brands i dont wanna go really exspensive but medium, ammount of money, i got a set from my boy who owns a shop here in ks, got a brand new set of resonated testpipes. from megan racing 150 shipped..!! awsome deal! juss curious on how they sound.?? where would i get a nice plenum spacer? for like 150?

Look around the classifieds for sure. Check both here and my350z.

Motordyne's the most popular and highly regarded on this site for great reason.

They're spacers are dynoed and proven to increase power.

My butt dyno really felt the difference after. The car opens up around 2.5-3K and up. It takes off a lot more than before too.

I would go with the 5/16" spacer. If you have an 06+ G with revup motor then you also can benefit from the Motordyne MREV+ plenum upgrade as well. Check out their site or ask Tony ( Hydrazine ) on the forums since it's his company's product.

He's very knowledgeable and very helpful all the time

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: z tube help!!! asap!!