Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

how can you make the jwt popcharger more effective

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I know what he's referring to Mike. That is why I refer to filter area. That is what I assume he meant by less restriction and less pressure drop. IMHO it's semantics at this point.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Always educational to MEASURE the pressure drop from the Earth's atmosheric pressure under WOT and high> max rpm.

The oem design is so good that you need equipment that can resolve less than 1.0 inches of water column or <1/27.7 of a PSI...................even the dirtiest oem filter won't restrict the 14.7 psi pressure by even 0.1 psi.

If you study flow bench the entire intake system rarely has even 25 inches of water column restriction and most of that come from heads not plenum, TB, piping, MAF, or air filters.

Intake air temperature is usually much more important than filter restriction because each 11F of increase reduces charge density by 1% whereas 1" water column is 1/27.7 x 6.8% [equivalent of 1 psi] OR 0.00245 or 2/10 of a single percent.

So you could say ~4" of restriction is the same a 11F temp rise as far as the amount [weight number of O2 molecules] of air entering each cylinder.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Red Card Crew

I almost understood that. LOL.

It pretty much confirms what Hydrazine has found.

1) He really likes the oem paper filter and system. BUT has found that performance DOES seem to drop when the oem paper gets dirty.
2) Temp does make a big diff in performance. Not ultimate performance but to keep the engine working as close to it's peak performance as long as possible.

OCG35 is big into heat reflective stuff. That Lizard Skin coating is expensive! I'm trying to figure out if there's a cheaper spray on type material that works well.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I almost understood that. LOL.

It pretty much confirms what Hydrazine has found.

1) He really likes the oem paper filter and system. BUT has found that performance DOES seem to drop when the oem paper gets dirty.
2) Temp does make a big diff in performance. Not ultimate performance but to keep the engine working as close to it's peak performance as long as possible.

OCG35 is big into heat reflective stuff. That Lizard Skin coating is expensive! I'm trying to figure out if there's a cheaper spray on type material that works well.

Just got mentioning this to OCG35 and ttrank yesterday. I used Second Skin for my deadener needs, although haven't done anything to the G except the trunk lid thus far.

This product may be of use: http://secondskinaudio.com/thermal-a...n/firewall.php

You could use the Firewall Sludge, it's just thicker and can't be applied by brush or spray, only by hand or some sort of spatula. There are several products for deflecting heat. I think I'm actually gonna buy some Firewall Sludge and apply it to the "custom" or modified airbox i'll be making for my intake filter.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Red Card Crew

I took quick look and you need a primer if you want to apply it to anything plastic.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:18 PM
I took quick look and you need a primer if you want to apply it to anything plastic.
Hmm, didn't know that. Just read the instructions and saw where it says that.

An alternative to primering a plastic surface, is using Damplifier and laying the Firewall product over it. Possibly, you can use Spectrum on plastic and firewall over it. Spectrum will stick to plastic for sure, but I'm not sure what happens if it is subject to heat. I have some spare Damplifier Pro That I'll use and then apply the Firewall. Gonna call up the owner to get his take on what the best route would be.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
quick question:
what do you guys think about the ARC induction box

in refference to shileding a jwt filter from heat ??

edit :
heres a pic ..

Old 03-05-2009, 01:30 PM
^^^

How much does that cost out of curiosity?

Old 03-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Red Card Crew

Would have to see the whole setup to comment. But for the price?? It's a joke and a half. 1st of all, metal isn't the greatest way to insulate heat. 2nd of all, it eliminates at least 1 of the good oem sources of outside air. What do those louvers do? Suck in heated air from the engine bay?

Old 03-05-2009, 01:53 PM
lol

i really like how it looks ..more than anything..

im sure it keeps some heat out
because it seems to surround the intake . (cant tell from the picture)
or if has an opening from beneath to an exterior port (also cant tell from the picture)

but yeah i bought a used jwt filter with heat shield pretty cheap but didnt realize the heat shield i bought is meant for a 350z (350z vs g35 heat shiled is different) i didnt know that ..

so basically im stuck with a shield i cant use ..lol
and looking for another option ..

Old 03-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Red Card Crew

I'd give ARC some credit if it mimiced the oem air source ducts. But it looks like a DIY project from someone that had access to sheetmetal, a bender and a drill. Which ISN'T a bad idea if they could make one that still used the oem ducts but was made big enough to use a cone filter. ALA Stillen.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by IMAFUKINRIDER
lol

i really like how it looks ..more than anything..

im sure it keeps some heat out
because it seems to surround the intake . (cant tell from the picture)
or if has an opening from beneath to an exterior port (also cant tell from the picture)

but yeah i bought a used jwt filter with heat shield pretty cheap but didnt realize the heat shield i bought is meant for a 350z (350z vs g35 heat shiled is different) i didnt know that ..

so basically im stuck with a shield i cant use ..lol
and looking for another option ..
So that's why my heatshield doesn't bolt onto anything. I just have it sitting. Doesn't cause rattles or anything, but still the shield only protects one side of the filter.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:10 PM
i guess il give it a bump

for anyone who has better pictures of the arc induction box

from different angles to see what the bottom looks like and if it uses oem ducts .!!

please someone anyone .. lol

Originally Posted by donpisto
So that's why my heatshield doesn't bolt onto anything. I just have it sitting. Doesn't cause rattles or anything, but still the shield only protects one side of the filter.
yeah i guess i wasnt the only one that didnt bother to look if there were any differences between the g35 version vs the 350z version .. lol

Old 03-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
I'd give ARC some credit if it mimiced the oem air source ducts. But it looks like a DIY project from someone that had access to sheetmetal, a bender and a drill. Which ISN'T a bad idea if they could make one that still used the oem ducts but was made big enough to use a cone filter. ALA Stillen.
Kind of like this?

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_eng...891032,00.html

Old 03-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4drmadness
Hey guys i have the jwt popcharger, and i dont really think that the heatshield is as effective as it should be. Its not really helping in keeping the temps cooler. Have you guys tried anything different, like using the stillen airbox, or wrapping the popcharger.

Common sense sir....you aren't going to keep the temps down because the filter sits right next to the engine. This is one of the many reasons why people opt for the "cold air intake" rather than a short ram intake like the pop charger.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how can you make the jwt popcharger more effective