Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

how can you make the jwt popcharger more effective

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IMAFUKINRIDER
quick question:
what do you guys think about the ARC induction box

in refference to shileding a jwt filter from heat ??

edit :
heres a pic ..

This is for bling, and I doubt it does anything. Plus it's metal, wouldn't it conduct more heat than the plastic shroud around the Popcharger or stillen heat shield would?

Old 03-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by 5150DS
Yup. although I think a thin guage of sheet tin would work better than aluminum.

I'm running the oem box but I was thinking of enclosing my Stillen unit better via thin plastic/tin and rivets.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IMAFUKINRIDER
edit :
heres a pic ..
Where'd that pic come from? Even if the louvers work, they're not pointed toward the incoming air, but toward the engine heat.....

A pic with a bit of further back perspective would help too.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkG
Where'd that pic come from? Even if the louvers work, they're not pointed toward the incoming air, but toward the engine heat.....

A pic with a bit of further back perspective would help too.
Actually, I see it both ways. Kinda hard to tell which it really is.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
G
They point towards the incoming air, I've seen the ARC box in person.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:13 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by xx7sephiroth7xx
coming from where?...

Old 03-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
^^^

The front of the vehicle, however, I really don't see that much going through as there is really no space, so it doesn't make too much sense.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by xx7sephiroth7xx
I think most need to get off the "it's ARC!" wagon and try to see it for what it is. It doesn't do much good when the louvers are a good 3-4" away from the oem scoop.(if it's even on there anymore). When the car is stitting there at a light, those louvers only going to draw heated ambient engine air.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is what my JWT looks like... small changes

i moved the OEM intake vent back, and made it flush... dont mind the zipp ties.
and also placed an cupling around the exit of the vent and threw the hole of the JWT shield for a straight shot for the pop charger, figured it would be A LOT better than two seprate pices of weather stripping and foam strips... and also used a nismo tube instead of Z- Tube.. eventually ill be wrapping with heat-wrap. i liked how it turned out and let me know what u guys think

PEACE

Attached Thumbnails how can you make the jwt popcharger more effective-img_0323.jpg   how can you make the jwt popcharger more effective-img_0324.jpg   how can you make the jwt popcharger more effective-img_0326.jpg  
Old 03-08-2009, 04:06 PM
_jb
Photographer

Have any of you thought about measuring the intake air temperature with Cipher?

Intake Air Temperature is one of the many parameters Cipher can measure and log. I imagine it uses the air temperature sensor that's integrated with the MAF sensor.

Might be worthwhile if you are designing new airboxes.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by YourKuh
i moved the OEM intake vent back, and made it flush... dont mind the zipp ties.
and also placed an cupling around the exit of the vent and threw the hole of the JWT shield for a straight shot for the pop charger, figured it would be A LOT better than two seprate pices of weather stripping and foam strips... and also used a nismo tube instead of Z- Tube.. eventually ill be wrapping with heat-wrap. i liked how it turned out and let me know what u guys think

PEACE
I like the idea of the snorkel/vent being flush with the radiator core support... however, lately I've been doing a bunch of aesthetic stuff to the engine bay so the zip tie method of securing wont work for me... I might try to figure out a cosmetically pleasing solution.

I was planning to tap a couple holes in the area that you have the center 2 zip ties and use pin clips to force the bottom portion down... I'm not sure setting it back and flush will work with the 2 air boxes I use either (Stillen & OEM).

Nice creativity on yours - every little bit helps and I think you made some nice changes

Old 03-08-2009, 10:13 PM
jwt ....

thanks man, here is some updated pics. i swapped the white ties for black...and added screws to the air intake and cupling just to make it secure.

i also wanted to figure out something to bypass the zip ties. maybe small brackets or something along those lines... and sooon ill be wrapping the nismo tube with black heat wrap.

hint !!! red bull gave the car wings! booyaaa

lets see some more customized intakes guys!!!

Attached Thumbnails how can you make the jwt popcharger more effective-img_0329.jpg   how can you make the jwt popcharger more effective-img_0333.jpg   how can you make the jwt popcharger more effective-img_0331.jpg  
Old 03-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
I like the idea of the snorkel/vent being flush with the radiator core support... however, lately I've been doing a bunch of aesthetic stuff to the engine bay so the zip tie method of securing wont work for me... I might try to figure out a cosmetically pleasing solution.

I was planning to tap a couple holes in the area that you have the center 2 zip ties and use pin clips to force the bottom portion down... I'm not sure setting it back and flush will work with the 2 air boxes I use either (Stillen & OEM).

Nice creativity on yours - every little bit helps and I think you made some nice changes
I was looking under the hood and thinking about making something similar to a radiator air diversion plate, but angling down instead of flat and making it scoop air from the grille through the hood latch hole. Hopefully forcing more air into the snorkel at speed. It would be kinda like the hole in the bumper for the z (not sure what is called or who makes it), but not able to bee seen because it would be behind the grille.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Slightly off topic...

So I got to looking at the stock setup a while back and figured if it weren't for all the resonator crap it would basically be a CAI.

Red lines show where the hood seals so the only path for air is through the grill and up into the stock air box.

Blocked off the resonator area in the stock air box with some RTV and a piece of phenolic I had acquired years ago...finally found a use for it!

ended up with this crap as extra, all from the bottom of the stock box

total cost $0...RTV I already owned, phenolic was scrap from work

Old 03-09-2009, 01:43 AM
Red Card Crew

Awesome work. That's very much like the oem Z airbox I believe.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how can you make the jwt popcharger more effective