Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

how can you make the jwt popcharger more effective

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2009 | 06:49 AM
hey you have a "BOX O' OEM" too....

Old 03-21-2009 | 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by thatguy II
Slightly off topic...

So I got to looking at the stock setup a while back and figured if it weren't for all the resonator crap it would basically be a CAI.

Red lines show where the hood seals so the only path for air is through the grill and up into the stock air box.

Blocked off the resonator area in the stock air box with some RTV and a piece of phenolic I had acquired years ago...finally found a use for it!

ended up with this crap as extra, all from the bottom of the stock box

total cost $0...RTV I already owned, phenolic was scrap from work
You inspired me and I sealed the bottom of my stock airbox, except for 3 small holes I drilled for water runoff. I wanted to reacquire the pressurization Jeff92SE spoke of. I also did what OCG35 was suggesting and added 2 additional pin clips to hold the snorkel open as wide as possible. I put my HKS muffler on today and figure I might as well do this while I was working on the car. I am having a friend put my revised Z springs and Z Tokico HP shocks on 04/04.

Old 03-22-2009 | 01:26 AM
I think there is one small hole in the power duct but other than that I didn't add any. If I get water all the way up in there I think I have bigger problems then what a couple small holes will fix.

I would like to use Cipher one day to log IAT with my modded version and another stock one to see if there is any appreciable gains. Problem is I only know one guy with cipher and I would want to run the logs simultaneous as we both drive the same route to rule out any variances.

Old 03-22-2009 | 11:52 AM
Last year I blocked off the entire lower airbox and the performance of the car just didn't feel quite right. The motor felt a bit laggy and the intake wasn't very deep sounding. Within 1 minute of driving, I could feel the change.

Over the years, I've tried the following setups:

1) Stock
2) Power duct removed
3) Modified power duct (low lip removed)
4) Power duct removed, over radiator snorkel removed
5) Lower airbox sealed off
6) Plug in the airbox resonator tube.

Out of all those setups, stock and #6 feel like they offer the best drivability. Removing the ducts, modifying them, or sealing off the airbox seems to deaden performance from idle to 4000rpms, making the motor feel slightly flat and laggy, but the motor feels smoother above 5000rpms. Removing those parts also greatly increases inductions noise.