Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

I was bored today (non-revup air box mod)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
I was bored today (non-revup air box mod)

I decided to try something with my non-revup air box since it is sitting here collecting dust.

The AEM filter seems like it has a velocity stack inside. I bought the MAF adapter on ebay and the filter at autozone.

I used the filter as a short ram when I drag race, but it had no shielding for the hot air from the engine.

So since the stock airbox is the best next to stillen for keeping out the heat I tried this.

It does fit barely you have to cram the top of the filter a little after filing down a plastic lip on the box.

Tell me what you guys think. I haven't put it on the car yet I just put it
together to show you guys. I need to put 2 more bolts.

I currently have the rev-up airbox with k&n drop in on my car now.

Last edited by Dsskyline; 03-28-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:54 AM
the filter used as short ram with the ebay MAF adapter.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
Good idea Derrick! Whenever your in town and i have some free time bring it by so i can check it out in person!

Old 03-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
interesting... not sure there will be any benefit over the OEM pannel filter set up but who knows?... are you gonna do test runs with both configurations at the track?

Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Nice work. I've always considered doing this, but I didn't think there was enough to cram a filter in there. My only concern would be if there is enough filter area to meet the needs of the motor. The filter appears to have less area than the panel filter.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your second to last pic looks like a great mod for those who are thinking of getting the revup box for the velocity stack.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by OCG35
interesting... not sure there will be any benefit over the OEM pannel filter set up but who knows?... are you gonna do test runs with both configurations at the track?
Mike you know I am. I'm going to a drag event next weekend at The Rock if it doesn't rain.

I will try this and the rev-up air box.

I have it on the car and it idles smoother. I haven't noticed a loss of power, sluggishness or CEL.

I will do dynos on May 2nd. I even have a BPI velocity stack to try out.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:53 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Try the maf adaptor with the oem panel filter. That was something I was going to try. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of a bell mouth. But hell, it's free to try right?

Old 03-30-2009, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Try the maf adaptor with the oem panel filter. That was something I was going to try. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of a bell mouth. But hell, it's free to try right?
I think it would have the same effect as the rev-up box. The velocity stack is about the same height as the maf adapter.

I already have a rev-up air box. I wish the BPI flowstack could fit with the filter (the filter is huge), but I can get the velocity stack to fit without the filter.

In the pic you can see the difference in size compared to the AEM. i think the BPI filter is the same one used in the stillen CAB.

I might look around for a short 3in inlet tapered filter or one like the AEM, but with the top open like the JWT filter for more flow.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:39 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
I like the idea Derrick. I'm all for kicking heat-soak in the rear

I will have to agree with DaveB regarding the lack of area. It seems so crammed in there that it doesn't seem that it would allow the filter to breathe efficiently. (Just a theory though).

Old 03-30-2009, 01:55 AM
it's only crammed a little at the top (4th pic). If I trim the box more it won't be like that my dremel batt was dead.

I'm going to look around for a tapered filter if possible. I wish AEM made one since there is no metal on their dry filters.

AEM uses a plastic basket inside the filter you can see it in the 1st pic.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Red Card Crew

Can you try just the maf adaptor inside the oem box and panel filter? You're in a fairly unique situation as you have the rev up v-stack mod also.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Can you try just the maf adaptor inside the oem box and panel filter? You're in a fairly unique situation as you have the rev up v-stack mod also.
Do you mean try to put it over the rev-up velocity stack or in the non rev box without a velocity stack?

I don't think it will fit over it, but I will try it for the sake of trying.

The box I hacked up was my non-rev-up air box. I'm not messing with my rev-up box.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Red Card Crew

Just replace the non rev up v-stack with the maf adaptor and run the oem panel filter. (leave out the aem filter) ie.. poor man's revup mod See how it runs.

I know the maf adaptor is already just as tall as the rev up v-stack. What I was curious about is if the bell mouth makes a difference or if it's the fact that the tube is longer.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:15 AM
Just replace the non rev up v-stack with the maf adaptor and run the oem panel filter. (leave out the aem filter) ie.. poor man's revup mod See how it runs.

I know the maf adaptor is already just as tall as the rev up v-stack. What I was curious about is if the bell mouth makes a difference or if it's the fact that the tube is longer.
Gotcha I'll test it out at the track on sunday. i'll try to do 2-3 runs each config AEM, Maf adapter, BPI velocity stock (no filter) all in the stock airbox.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I was bored today (non-revup air box mod)