Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Sqeaking from intake and no gain from Spacer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Mark I guess you took down your post - but if in fact he is "showing gains over stock for each and comparing... measuring gains over stock on separate occasions "

Measuring gains of each over stock on two entirely different dynos and concluding that one compares to the other is the most @ss backwards way of testing two exhaust against each other.

Totally inaccurate as usual.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
my post is still there??? gains are gains and the curve is the curve... numbers are irrelevant, yes.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
are any gains from the just the HR y-pipe suspect??? again, yes...

Old 08-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by SDGenius
my post is still there??? gains are gains and the curve is the curve... numbers are irrelevant, yes.
puter was snafu'd - not sure whytI couldnt se your posts before...

Of course gains are gains… but you can’t conclude that a certain exhaust performs equal to another from dyno tests on two different cars and two different dynos.

The only way to compare the HR Ypipe to the XYZ exhaust is to dyno them back to back on the same car. Anything other than that is totally flawed as to the direct comparison of the two.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by twilson686
I installed the z tube and pop charger, at first the car seemed very sluggish. I got it home unplugged the negative battery terminal over night. When I drove it the next morning it was completely different, it was very peppy. Definitely reset the ecu with battery terminal. I tried the foot pedal reset and the CEL light never came on.
timing is everything when you are doing the pedal dance...first time was tricky for me too now i can do it with no problems

Old 08-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
The only way to compare the HR Ypipe to the XYZ exhaust is to dyno them back to back on the same car. Anything other than that is totally flawed as to the direct comparison of the two.
Both cars are Rev-ups. Both did before and after runs. Both y-pipes have very similiar designs. Both y-pipes show very similiar numbers and power curve shapes.

Would it be nice to have someone do a stock, XYZ, and HR y-pipe dyno on the same car, same day? Yes, but we know it's not going to happen. What we have here is very similiar and consistant data that supports that the HR y-pipe is making similiar gains to the XYZ pipe. I would have been suspect of an HR y-pipe dyno showing gains across the whole powerband and I would have assumed it was just a flucuation. BUT the fact that the HR y-pipe perfectly emmulates the XYZ pipe dyno and is showing a clear change in power at the start of the powerband suggests to me something is definitely happening in terms of flow and power production. The before and after HR y-pipe power numbers are exactly the same below 4500rpms. You simply can't influence the change that's occuring at 4500rpms and beyond. Additional power is being made. Would it be so hard for you to admit you are wrong?

Old 08-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
The HR Y pipe is only one test. And yes, it's far from conclusive. But it's intriguing. One dyno test isn't a tell all but it's interesting how the curves overlay almost perfectly until the HR unit gets going (if that's the case)

A XYZ pipe on a HR equipped G/Z would show gains?

Last edited by Jeff92se; 08-24-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Tony's XYZ build notes:

General Information:

XYZ-Pipe (complete with resonator module):

XYZ the ultimate Y-pipe! For the best sound, power and versatility, look no further. The Motordyne XYZ-Pipe is a high performance Y-pipe unlike any other.
In its development phase many different merge distances and angles were dyno tested. With a range of tested Y merge distances ranging from very close to very far from the engine, and it was found that engine performance was degraded if the Y merge point was too close or too far from the engine. The Motordyne XYZ pipe merges the exhaust gasses at the optimum point.

In the R&D phase of the Motordyne XYZ development it was found that:
10 inches closer than optimum dropped ~20TQ.
18 inches farther than optimum dropped ~10TQ on the dyno and wrecked throttle response.

With several data points analyzed a curve was generated and showed the optimum “Y-pipe” length peaked at 16”.
A 16” long Y-pipe would be a too short of a Y-pipe to fit in the stock location so an extension was added behind it to connect with the midpipe flange. This extention is what created a new opportunity to incorporate a resonator to improve sound quality. It also opened up the opportunity for an add on catalytic convertor. Both of these options become even more advantageous when test pipes are used.

By incorporating a resonator or even a catalytic converter in the XYZ-pipe it allows you to take advantage of the higher power gains available with test pipes without sacrificing the sound quality, power or exhaust smell. And all the extentions (or modules) can be easily and quickly changed out with the supplied V-band clamp.

XYZ is the dyno optimized Y-pipe that offers the best of power, sound and emissions. The Motordyne XYZ is a new evolution of exhaust system design for the Nissan and Infiniti family.
Pic of XYZ:

Note that it takes the Y and the resonator piece to = the standard length of either the 03 Y or the HR Y:

Here's a pic of both (nice pic)

Would love to know how far front/back the XYZ is from the 03 Y vs the HR Y. Tube dia aside, you can see how the merge collection point affect tq. If you use the XYZ as "optimum" then going 10" shorter makes you lose 20 ftlbs vs being 18" longer than optimum

The only thing obvious is that the HR collector is much further down than before. Where the XYZ collection point is relative to these two is the curious part. Clearly not has far down as the HR. (or maybe the 03) But the HR seems to have it's collection angles and Y design closwer to what Tony had come up with.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 08-24-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Both cars are Rev-ups. Both did before and after runs. Both y-pipes have very similiar designs. Both y-pipes show very similiar numbers and power curve shapes.

Would it be nice to have someone do a stock, XYZ, and HR y-pipe dyno on the same car, same day? Yes, but we know it's not going to happen. What we have here is very similiar and consistant data that supports that the HR y-pipe is making similiar gains to the XYZ pipe. I would have been suspect of an HR y-pipe dyno showing gains across the whole powerband and I would have assumed it was just a flucuation. BUT the fact that the HR y-pipe perfectly emmulates the XYZ pipe dyno and is showing a clear change in power at the start of the powerband suggests to me something is definitely happening in terms of flow and power production. The before and after HR y-pipe power numbers are exactly the same below 4500rpms. You simply can't influence the change that's occuring at 4500rpms and beyond. Additional power is being made. Would it be so hard for you to admit you are wrong?
Suit yourself Dave – but I would never make a decision based on two different cars on two different dynos (one being two years apart)… imo its plain stupid to conclude anything based on that way of dyno testing…