Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Looking for some exhaust advice, too many options in front of me.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Looking for some exhaust advice, too many options in front of me.

So I'm looking for some suggestions on which exhaust setup I should go with as I have a few options in front of me. They are:

Used Stillen catback with OEM style tips (previous owner replaced the Stillen tips)...$500 with the trade of my OEM exhaust, 60K miles on the stillen unit.

Used Tanabe Touring Medalion with unkown y-pipe, $400

Used Fast Intentions for $500 (oval mufflers, 35k miles)

or buy a Brand new Motordyne XYZ-pipe with the straight through set-up and piece together a whole system later down the road...$500 shipped

The car is NA and will stay that way. It might see a tune, but not sure when. The car will also see track time hopefully this year and high flow cats are a definite future purchase. $500 is obviously my budget right now, if I spent more I think I would just get an Exotic-Speed setup.

The used ones all require me to drive towards DC/Nova and meet up with the owners, so about 2-hrs in driving each way. Not to mention I might have to replace gaskets and mounting hardware for some of them and of course a thorough cleaning.

IMO, the stillen price seems high when compared to the Fast Intentions deal, not to mention I lose my OEM exhaust if I ever need it again. The Fast Intentions setup seems cool, plus I think i will buy his 06-projectors as well. The Tanabe is nice and cheap and has a great sound and I've had other Tanabe systems in the past. The Motordyne XYZ-pipe is just a stepping stone, but it does improve a huge weak spot in the exhaust system and allows me to upgrade easily in the future and it is also less effort on my part.

I just can't wrap my head around which is the better deal for me, so some input would be nice. At the moment I am leaning towards the fast intentions setup because like I said, I hope to buy his 06-projectors too. I just havent heard from him yet, so I am not sure if there is even a deal in progress.

Thanks in advance, sorry for making this kind of post. They're all great system and quality, I just dont know what is giving me the best deal.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id go with the fast intentions or the motordyne y pipe. the stillen has seen a lot of driving. the fast intention is probably the best if your not looking for much drone during your drive

Old 02-10-2010, 03:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol where can u find a used fast intentions for that price? hook it up if ur not planning to get it!

Old 02-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
thanks for the advice so far, I think I will go for the Fast Intentions setup, but I'm still waiting for the guy to get everything removed, so when it happens is up in the air.

Timing sucks on my part because I leave for Washington state and Hawaii for a two week work trip this sunday.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
those are a lot of miles. I've got drone at 2k rpm but some say its because the exhaust isn't broken in yet and I'm 5AT. Anyway just giving you a heads up. And even with the drone I'm happy with the FI system.