Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

A new discussion about CAIs and SRIs needed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
A new discussion about CAIs and SRIs needed?

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...kes/index.html

AEM's long tube CAI had some great results. And if Tony (Hydrazine) wasn't involved in it, I wouldn't put too much credit to it.

Would love to hear Tony's thoughts on this latest test.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
How about clearly defining the differences b/w heat soak and excessive IAT's created via stagnating, hot engine temps under hood.

Link to a quick write-up on HEAT SOAK:
http://cjbfire.com/Heatsoak.pdf

High initial IAT's cause the engine to pull timing and adjust accordingly. I differ with others on how long it takes, but suffice to say there is an initial lag in performance (albeit as little as 5-10whp).

For the love of god......stop with the heat soak BS.

I know Tony will chime in with the 06 box being superior all around....I don't dispute that, but I think the Pop charger is equal to or perhaps slightly lesser option. Properly shielded with a thermal protection/insulation the Pop Charger works well in all conditions. I ran both.....didn't notice much difference to be frank. I run the Pop charger now because the velocity stack had more material for me to lathe to 80mm and match my larger maf housing. I made a crappy, diy soft, insulated box to elevate temps around the filter element....along with a front duct.

I also ran the AEM LT, and it was crap. **** poor throttle response and a genuine "lazy" feeling to the motor.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:29 AM
Red Card Crew

That article doesn't address anything we are talking about here.

Um to me, 5-10hp is alot at take off. Unless you are reving to 4000+ and clutch dropping.

The stillen would be the best choice in your option. You can lathe the crap out of that v-stack also

But did you read the article. The AEM LT actually got good gains. I would like Tony to chime in here and validate/dispute the article's contents

Last edited by Jeff92se; 06-29-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:32 AM
4500-5500 depending on weather, track prep, etc.....In my personal opinion (I know you and DaveB differ) the 1-2 secs of 5whp loss is nothing....

Old 06-29-2010, 12:42 AM
Red Card Crew

You don't understand. I don't drive like that everyday to and from my commute. THAT is what counts to me. But not to you. Which is fine but we should clarify in what cases we are referring.

I don't want to suffer 5-10hp loss at a stop. Hell that's more loss than what any intake would gain.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:59 AM
Frankly, my numbers were speculation.....I wouldn't be surprised if it were less. As mentioned in the other 19203291 threads on the subject...a DIY thermal barrier can in some capacity lower static IAT's....I made a quick one out of pipe insulation and reflective/heat resistant foil that dropped my IAT's 10-12c on a hot summer day. That in conjunction with a front duct made it within 2-4c of when I had the 06 box installed during a similar (perhaps not perfectly equal) stint in traffic/hot temps. The difference without the barrier was 16-18c at times.....that is dramatic and I won't contest your point on the matter. For a pure commuter car.....the 06 box rules....but in terms of pure performance on track.....the difference is negligible at best. I ultimately stuck it out with the pop charger because it had enough material on the incorporated velocity stack to lathe it to 80mm and match my maf inlet.

On with the debate though.....

Old 06-29-2010, 01:04 AM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Tony told me he was misquoted a lot in that article, and explained some of this thoughts on it to me. But I'd rather let him chime in on all of this rather than me leaving out details. He also told me I had one of the worst type of intakes for performance LOL. I sorta knew that already though .

In for more info!

Old 06-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
As taken from the my350Z discussion regarding the same article:

What am I missing here? They claim the AEM CAI gained 12whp at peak and power from idle to redline, but when you look at the dyno graph, nothing is labeled. The light blue graph has a substanial "gain" anomoly from 5900rpms to 6600rpms in torque, but it also shows a major torque loss 1000rpms to 4000rpms. The HP comparisons show minimal differences between all three graphs except that the red graph starting loosing power 6000rpms. Am I to assume that's the POP charger graph. Crappy data presentation on their part.
I PM'd Tony. Hopefully he'll chime in within the next few days.

I'll say this, if Tony thought an intake was a useful mod, wouldn't he have already developed one? It's such as easy part to develop and manufactuer. The potential profit margin is huge too. I vaguely remember Tony looking into making a cold air box which used some sort of device to cool the airbox. I can't remember if was a liquid cooling unit or using A/C air to cool down the air box.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Red Card Crew

One big problem of that article was their definition of a velocity stack. What they count as one presents a big problem with me. The stack should be on the end of the maf opening like the stillen/JWT cone. But they don't use that style to test their theory about a v-stack possibly being a varible affecting the SRI's results. They use the generic type cone with some bastardization of a v-stack on the very end of the cone filter. Not the same thing.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
One big problem of that article was their definition of a velocity stack. What they count as one presents a big problem with me. The stack should be on the end of the maf opening like the stillen/JWT cone. But they don't use that style to test their theory about a v-stack possibly being a varible affecting the SRI's results. They use the generic type cone with some bastardization of a v-stack on the very end of the cone filter. Not the same thing.
It is Import Tuner mag after all. I don't put much faith in these guys as being experts or conducting useful tests.

Last edited by DaveB; 06-29-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...kes/index.html

AEM's long tube CAI had some great results. And if Tony (Hydrazine) wasn't involved in it, I wouldn't put too much credit to it.

Would love to hear Tony's thoughts on this latest test.
I wasn't there for the CAI testing. In fact, I didn't even know I would be quoted on intakes.

My quote was a spinoff of a exhaust system discussion.

What is it you wanted to know?

Tony

Old 06-29-2010, 03:26 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
in for info

Old 06-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Red Card Crew

Tony, great to hear from you. I just wanted a clarification of the article's results and conclusions. It's quite contradicactory to your previous research. I thought you have have made a new observation?

Old 06-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice #'s but heat soak will totallly make a difference in the tests

if its winter CAI fo sho, summer stock w/ ztube

im running stock all year round now

Old 06-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
I wasn't there for the CAI testing. In fact, I didn't even know I would be quoted on intakes.
Go figure

Now we're going to have guys believing CAIs make a legit 12whp because of this one test. I have as much faith in those dynos numbers as I do with the basic bolt-on 06 Acura TL 6MT that recently went 13.9@106.5mph on Acurazine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A new discussion about CAIs and SRIs needed?