Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

The NA debate is over. bigger exhaust = more power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Correct. When I put my X pipe on to my borla (that has no X or H), I tried to see where the best place would be (within reason). I researched where Motordyne put there Y merger and where Stillen puts there X pipes.
Yeah, I did the same thing also and based my location on the XYZ pipe merge.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Haha Tony FTW !

For the record, I did pick up some torque about 2-300 sooner in the rpm and a decent reduction in drone.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Another question I have about these gains is are they strictly peak gains or are they actually useable gains. I could care less about a gain of 50whp for the last 500rpms of the powerband because the car won't be any faster. Now if the entire powerband were to elevate, then I'd be more interested. Secondly, often times larger exhausts are expotentially louder and there is a power loss below 2500rpms which doesn't impact acceleration much, but it does affect dailiy driveability. Even the MD ART pipes have a torque loss below 2500rpms.

These Revups motors seem to make great gains, it's just too bad about the oil usage in a majority of these motors. I wouldn't touch used one with a 10-foot pole. It's not worth the risk unless you were the one that bought it new and had sufficent maintenance history to keep Nissan from voiding your warranty.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Did they test a Revup an intake, 2.5" headers with a dual 2.5" exhaust on THIS dyno and compare the two? If not, your argument has NO basis.
Really? Because theres been plenty of people with 2.5" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust and an intake on soo many different dyno types by now making less power that your argument is completely and utterly mute.

so show one... ON ANY DYNO TYPE with 2.5" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust and an intake THAT MADE MORE than that 350z with 3" headers, single 3.5" exhaust and an intake.

There are none.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrei
Really? Because theres been plenty of people with 2.5" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust and an intake on soo many different dyno types by now making less power that your argument is completely and utterly mute.

so show one... ON ANY DYNO TYPE with 2.5" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust and an intake THAT MADE MORE than that 350z with 3" headers, single 3.5" exhaust and an intake.

There are none.
Andrei, you have to compare both setups on the same car, on the same day, to be able to come away with a conclusive verdict.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:27 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

There are none.
This could be true BUT diff dyno at diff locations could make this just wrong.

If you go off of the GAINS and base point of 220 whp that is pretty normal. Gains are OBVIOUSLY there. I don't think anybody can dispute that. Its not END POWER result (kinda) we want to look at but the GAINS.

The gains with just the intake and exhaust is pretty damn impressive though.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:34 AM

There are none.
So let me get this right, one single manufactuer's dyno showing these amazing gains completely discredits the hundreds of other dynos and information gathered since late 2005. Really? Sure sounds to me like you're trying to justify your mistake of choosing an overly large exhaust.

1) It's a Dynapack dyno they're using. Search "Churches" for the majority opinion on the power numbers Dynapack's typically generate. It's a variable load dyno and you can show gains that just aren't there if you really wanted to.

2) Any dyno that shows a 11whp gain with an aftermarket y-pipe and Pulstar plugs should not be trusted See post one of your second link.

3) Never trust the manufactuer's dyno.

If you really want to prove us wrong why not take your car to one of the drag strips in the Atlanta/Macon area?

Last edited by DaveB; 12-07-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kinda off Topic anyone know the diameter of the HR Y and Coupe Midpipe?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by 626Gthirtyfive
Kinda off Topic anyone know the diameter of the HR Y and Coupe Midpipe?
The internal diameter of each pipe is a crack under 2.5".

Old 12-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
more top end hp, lose some low-end torque which makes no sense for most people because 75% of their driving is not in their upper revs

Old 12-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingMustache
more top end hp, lose some low-end torque which makes no sense for most people because 75% of their driving is not in their upper revs

It's quite abvious this set-up is for people that is serious about N/A tuning and who track their car. In racing most of the powerband is in the mi-upper rev range.

In fact, we can't even see for sure what the real gains are until we see an INDEPENDENT dyno of the exact set-up. For all we know, it may even gain power across the rev range.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
I think that Z has Nismo r-tune cams. I don't think anyone has these headers except gabed, but he has a stroked VQ.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
So let me get this right, one single manufactuer's dyno showing these amazing gains completely discredits the hundreds of other dynos and information gathered since late 2005. Really? Sure sounds to me like you're trying to justify your mistake of choosing an overly large exhaust.

1) It's a Dynapack dyno they're using. Search "Churches" for the majority opinion on the power numbers Dynapack's typically generate. It's a variable load dyno and you can show gains that just aren't there if you really wanted to.

2) Any dyno that shows a 11whp gain with an aftermarket y-pipe and Pulstar plugs should not be trusted See post one of your second link.

3) Never trust the manufactuer's dyno.

If you really want to prove us wrong why not take your car to one of the drag strips in the Atlanta/Macon area?
Not at all. What happens here is that there is a lot of jealousy and a lot of people who don't have the testicular fortitude to fabricate a dual 3". The dual 3" I have only flows 2" because the headers have 2" collectors. It doesn't matter if I put on a dual 6" because it still has 2" headers. If I had 3" headers I would expect even more gains over anything with a smaller diameter, including 2.5" because of the supporting EVIDENCE that SGM provided.

As far as SGM goes and trusting their numbers, I do. They already tried a dual 2.5" that made less power and I believe that for simple fact that they do everything possible to get the most power out of their setup because they enter competitions where every single gain in horse power counts.
Originally Posted by Dsskyline
I think that Z has Nismo r-tune cams. I don't think anyone has these headers except gabed, but he has a stroked VQ.
I linked 2 different cars. The roster had only had intake and full exhaust. The roster is a Revup the other car is not but in both cases power went up with that exhaust.

Last edited by Andrei; 12-08-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
my current exhaust status: stock headers,2.25" ID 2.5"OD, y-pipe 2.5" ID 3" OB, and 3" exhaust piping.... this = TOO DAMN LOUD!!! but i cant imagine like 3.5 or even more lolzz

Old 12-09-2010, 02:24 AM
Not at all. What happens here is that there is a lot of jealousy and a lot of people who don't have the testicular fortitude to fabricate a dual 3". The dual 3" I have only flows 2" because the headers have 2" collectors. It doesn't matter if I put on a dual 6" because it still has 2" headers. If I had 3" headers I would expect even more gains over anything with a smaller diameter, including 2.5" because of the supporting EVIDENCE that SGM provided.

As far as SGM goes and trusting their numbers, I do. They already tried a dual 2.5" that made less power and I believe that for simple fact that they do everything possible to get the most power out of their setup because they enter competitions where every single gain in horse power counts.

OK, now I'm confused by your argument. You're saying you have a 3" dual system, right? You do realize that SGM's system is a 3.5" single, right? The area of that exhaust is 9.6". The area of a dual 2.5" exhaust is 9.9". That means SGM saw better numbers with a smaller exhaust than what most people run (ie aftermarket dual 2.5" systems). So that would mean your dual 3" system is probably making less power than the typical dual 2.5" system. Bigger isn't better.

I've said this for years, many of the best NA exhaust systems use a slightly stepped design in that the exhaust is slightly larger upstream and gets fractionally smaller towards the exit. This keeps the exhaust hot and the velocity high. SGM obviously saw benefit to what I'm saying.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The NA debate is over. bigger exhaust = more power