Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Intake Comparison....what works!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Intake Comparison....what works!

For the past three issues DSPORT mag has really be putting a giant amount of information for NOOBS and those of us that thought we knew everything. In the June issue they compare intakes and where the gains/losses are. In all intakes there was a power loss from 2K to 3K RPMS but from there to red line power was increased up to 5 RWHP with the Nissan Cube they used for comparison. Getting to see Alexis Kobayashi, their centerfold lady is worth the purchase. The knowledge gained is just a plus....

Old 05-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I will pick up the new dsport tomorrow. So what your opinion? Are you still running an intake with your tune?

Old 05-08-2011, 01:00 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
I don't understand what does the cube have anything to do with our g's?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
I don't understand what does the cube have anything to do with our g's?
It's a comparison how intakes work which can be applied to any car, cube or G! The article starts with a simple drop in filter then compares most of the major intakes. If a particular intake looses 6% of it's RWHP on a Cube between 2K to 3K RPMs would you put that intake on your G? Not me, but the best results were achieved with the Fujita intake which is what I'm using. DSPORT is the most informative mag on the market, check it out you just might learn something!
Gary

Old 05-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
It's a comparison how intakes work which can be applied to any car, cube or G! The article starts with a simple drop in filter then compares most of the major intakes. If a particular intake looses 6% of it's RWHP on a Cube between 2K to 3K RPMs would you put that intake on your G? Not me, but the best results were achieved with the Fujita intake which is what I'm using. DSPORT is the most informative mag on the market, check it out you just might learn something!
Gary
uh the Cube has a different engine and different intake and everything, sexyrob did an intake shootout dont you remember? Z tube with paper filter is pretty much the best.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:14 PM
If I remember right you have said positive things about the stillen intake as well in the past. Correct?

Old 05-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
You're only kidding yourself if you think you'll be faster with an intake on most any NA FM platform VQ series motor. Nissan did their homework on delivering the nearly the best setup for driveability, performance, and heat soak. A loss in lowend in power has a very determental affect on 1/4 mile acceleration. Gaining 10whp from 5500 to 6500rpms isn't going to make the car any quicker, but loosing 10whp from idle to 4000rpms will have a profound effect. Average power under the curve.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:34 PM
What about with a tune? I have a revup box and a stillen cold air. I defiantly notice less lag with my revup box compared to the stillen. But I'm wondering if after I get tuned if it would take care of the lag?
Originally Posted by DaveB
You're only kidding yourself if you think you'll be faster with an intake on most any NA FM platform VQ series motor. Nissan did their homework on delivering the nearly the best setup for driveability, performance, and heat soak. A loss in lowend in power has a very determental affect on 1/4 mile acceleration. Gaining 10whp from 5500 to 6500rpms isn't going to make the car any quicker, but loosing 10whp from idle to 4000rpms will have a profound effect. Average power under the curve.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
gary, I think you are influencec by the fact that you run the same fujita as the mag. Sorry but I put a ton more faith into what Hydrazine has found than some magazine.

What makes the Fujita so special? It's just another how air intake like all the others that fail to perform on the G/Z

Old 05-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Gary
That is wrong on so many levels.....reading results for intakes on a different car and making your purchase decision based on those results for your G is absurd....you might as well throw different intake names in a hat and pick an intake randomly

My friend gets i think 15hp or so from his intake alone on his Acura RSX Type-S...maybe I should get the same brand intake he got

Old 05-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
if thats the case why did nissan make 2 totally different intakes for the g and z?

Old 05-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by saywat?
if thats the case why did nissan make 2 totally different intakes for the g and z?
The Z got a little less restrictive version of the G intake to give it a louder intake sound since it is a true sports car after all, unlike the G...but its definitely something negligible HP wise...

Old 05-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
^i kno that. but thats why i made the statement in regards to the guy that said "nissan did their homework" comment. also btw the g has a louder exhaust note then the z. and actually the z tube isnt really that much louder

Old 05-10-2011, 07:48 PM
I sure think they did do their homework, if the best intake on the market for our cars is actually the stock one...
You actually lose power if you buy a CAI for our engines.

I do wish tho that our cars would make insane amounts of extra HP simply from an intake, like my friends RSX TypeS...but unfortunately that isnt the case.

Intakes are probably the worst thing you can get for our cars to increase performance, unless all your going for is sound and looks...

Old 05-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Um the back halves and the panel filters are almost identical inbetween the Z and G. They are NOT completely different. In fact, the Z and G use the exact same panel filter

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intake Comparison....what works!