Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Topspeed HKS Clone questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 03:36 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Topspeed HKS Clone questions

Hi guys, I just had a few questions about the hks replica exhaust, I used the search option, but the answers were indefinite...
I ordered a magnaflow xpipe from amazon and it's coming in the mail:

Do you guys think I should pay to weld the xpipe on before I put the exhaust on or install the exhaust first, see how it sounds, then decide to install it? If I don't need the xpipe, I can sell it or return it, saving $170 from the actual product and the welding price.

I know the xpipe lessens the drone, but does it also make the exhaust noticeably quieter? I currently have a Stillen TD and I'm kinda tired of having such a quiet exhaust...I want something louder, but not TOO loud (don't want to get a ticket for inadequate muffler or annoy the people in my neighborhood.) I know that the exhaust seems quieter from the inside with the xpipe; how about on the outside?

Does the xpipe make the exhaust's tone any higher? I love the deep sound of the x02 and don't want to completely lose it. How wil the xpipe affect it?

I hear that many people have had fitment problems...
Should I pay to get this exhaust professionally installed by a muffler shop or do it myself? (I have no experience with installing exhausts)

Does anyone know if the tips on the top speed replica are as bad as they are on the x02?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-06-2011, 04:06 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Wow. So wait first of all did you buy the topspeed n1 exhaust? Or an x02? They aren't the same.

Secondly the magnaflow part that people buy for the x02 should not cost nearly $170.

Third, the x02 generally has a bit of fitment problem with the tips not being perfectly centered, you can heat it up and bend it fix it yourself or take it in. Depends on you.

Tips depend on the exact one you bought, and what your tolerance is for how tips look.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:20 AM
Haha, I'm talking about the HKS replica that Topspeed makes...
Yeah, I got the xpipe for 87 shipped and the muffler shop quoted me about 80 for the welding.
Alright, thanks for the feedback!

Old 06-06-2011, 04:24 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1. if you know how to install an exhaust yourself go ahead and do it then just pay an exhaust shop to adjust the tips alignment for you.

2. and if it is just 80 for welding alone then you should install the exhaust before the magnaflow install and if you like the exhaust without the magnaflow x pipe then obviously there is no need to install it.

3. magnaflow x pipe will make the exhaust quiter and have far less drone, but have a deeper sound. the exhaust is still pretty loud but way quieter than it was without the x pipe.

hope this helps.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:36 AM
Haha, I'm not really sure how to install it myself...I might just pay my mechanic to do it. If the exhaust is already on, will they charge me additional money to take off the piece that needs the xpipe welded on to it?
I'm going to be commuting 85 miles a day in about 3 months, so I think the xpipe will eventually be necessary. The reason I don't want to put the exhaust on without the xpipe is that I don't want to pay an additional fee for them to pull apart the exhaust's xpipe and put it back on later.
The xpipe will make the sound more deep? I love the deep sound of the hks replicas, so I might go ahead and do it..
Do you have the magnaflow xpipe? If so, do you prefer the sound to the x02 without the magnaflow?
Thanks so much

Old 06-06-2011, 04:38 AM
^ Also, I heard that the xpipe eliminates the rasp; is that true? I really don't like rasp in an exhaust note.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:22 AM
I do have the magnaflow x pipe installed on my car. completely killed the rasp(there was only a little around 3k rpm but I hate rasp! and it took out 80% of the drone. Quieted the exhaust to my liking but still sounds loud, deep, and aggressive.

I prefer the magnaflow x pipe because the stock hks rep sound is LOUD and i mean it is crazy loud but like I said try it without the x pipe to see if you like it or not.

From what I saw it should not matter if the exhaust is currently installed on the car or not because the magnaflow x pipe replaces the h pipe so they just cut it off the car while the exhaust is bolted on and then add additional piping if needed or just slip it on and start welding it.,. at least that's what happened for me.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Xet
I would just install the exhaust yourself first, it is pretty darn straightforward and as long as you have the tools and an afternoon you can get it done fine. Then drive it around (let the break-in period go through) and then see if you want to add the x-pipe. I have been driving for 2-3 years now I think on mine without the x-pipe and it hasn't been annoying enough to ever change... although I probably will end up doing it somewhere down the line.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Alright, that's what I'll do! Thanks so much guys! Any idea how much it will cost for them to realign the tips if the fitment is incorrect?

Old 06-06-2011, 04:17 PM
The pricing all depends in the muffler shop you go too. It will vary but it shouldn't cost much to just align the tips if you install it yourself

Old 06-07-2011, 03:19 AM
I just installed the exhaust today...It's ridiculously loud...well, too loud for me anyways. And there's rasp at 3-4k that I don't like. I like the tone of the exhaust, but it's a little too raw for me...And there's like this darth vader breathing sound that's pretty cool LOLLL
Can't wait till the magnaflow xpipe comes in. I really hope it makes a big difference...If it doesn't, I'll just have to live with it for awhile D:

Old 06-07-2011, 03:27 AM
Xet
Originally Posted by geegeegee
I just installed the exhaust today...It's ridiculously loud...well, too loud for me anyways. And there's rasp at 3-4k that I don't like. I like the tone of the exhaust, but it's a little too raw for me...And there's like this darth vader breathing sound that's pretty cool LOLLL
Can't wait till the magnaflow xpipe comes in. I really hope it makes a big difference...If it doesn't, I'll just have to live with it for awhile D:
Let it break in for awhile as well, it will quiet down and sound a bit different once it has broken in. But it is a big change from stock, and the x-pipe may help make it less dramatic.

The following users liked this post:
geegeegee (06-07-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 03:47 AM
Alright, hopefully it will haha. Well, I came from a stillen TD and it's stil a huge change in tone...
I'm hoping the x-pipe will eliminate the rasp and quiet it down even more than breaking it in...When I'm light on the throttle, the drone gives me a headache ahaha.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:55 AM
Also, would you describe the sound change once it's broken in a positive change or negative change? Haha like...how would you describe the change besides quieter?

Old 06-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Xet
Originally Posted by geegeegee
Alright, hopefully it will haha. Well, I came from a stillen TD and it's stil a huge change in tone...
I'm hoping the x-pipe will eliminate the rasp and quiet it down even more than breaking it in...When I'm light on the throttle, the drone gives me a headache ahaha.
Haha I remember that drone, that drone goes away. If you accelerate under heavy load, say trying to speed up in a high gear for your speed you will drone though. Overall I am very happy with the exhaust, but that heavy load drone may cause me to get the x-pipe some time in the future. But overall the exhaust is much louder at all times, so it may depend just on what you find tolerable or not.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Topspeed HKS Clone questions