Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

ART pipes with HFC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 06:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No problem, I'm just glad there's so much interest. I'm looking forward to what tony comes up with.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Snakes' G
No problem, I'm just glad there's so much interest. I'm looking forward to what tony comes up with.
I'm looking forward to seeing the end result as well.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Really interested to see what Tony turns out.... seems like the perfect balance

Old 11-19-2011, 06:02 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
with all due respect, this (thread topic) seems to look for an answer to a problem that doesnt exist (to my knowledge)...

I haven't heard or read of complaints of exhaust/fumes smell from ART pipes... maybe I haven't talked to enough people that have 'em or read enough threads?... is the smell an issue?

As for passing smog - it's not going to matter (in terms of legality) in any state that has visual inspection. Granted, I'm in smog **** CA so it's an issue here - but slapping on OEM cats at time for smog rectifies that kooky problem.

Maybe I'm out-of-touch with the recent reports from ART pipes... I know most test pipes result in a foul smell that many don't like - I just haven't heard the complaints regarding ART pipes - are people speculating? Or has it actually been an issue?

Old 11-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Any test pipe is going to smell. I just want the hp gains without the smell while also feeling a little better about myself by not polluting as much.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Snakes' G
Any test pipe is going to smell. I just want the hp gains without the smell while also feeling a little better about myself by not polluting as much.
kudos for your desire to not pollute... however, as I mentioned - I don't recall reading or speaking to anyone that has had a problem with ART pipes smell.

Also as I mentioned, yes - most test pipes do reek - but are there complaints of the ART pipes smelling? IIRC, some have said there is no smell (or at least not to the extent of being an issue)...

But again, I havent been following recently so maybe people have complained?

If smell and/or polluting was a concern, I see no reason not to just use HFC. I can't imagine gains from ART pipes with cats are going to be significantly (if at all) more than just HFC.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Mike, there is definitely a smell with ART's. There is no difference in smell compared to conventional test pipes and ART pipes.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:06 PM
to those indicating they smell like test pipes, do you have them or are you speculating?

I guess posts like this one:
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
I put the ART pipes on my G Sedan and what it does for the power and throttle response is really noticeable. What I didn't really notice was any smell. The smell didn't really register with me.

I think one thing that may be a BIG factor on the smell is how your car is tuned. If your car runs rich at the daily driving RPM's you may notice it more.

My G Sedan runs lean at low RPM and low throttle positions so I don't smell it while doing daily cruising.
and several others in that thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...ml#post6105584 are what I recall reading... I seem to remember several other threads and posts that indicate the same (but I dont think it's necessary for me to dig them up)... And some of the people that I have talked with that have them have indicated the smell really isnt an issue.

So once again - in my polite manner... this topic seems to be more of an answer to a problem that doesnt seem to exist.

If you are ultra sensitive to smells (even though these apparently arent an issue for most people), you might as well use HFC. Or get with someone that has ART pipes and smell, you might find it's a non issue (like so many others have).

Good day

Old 11-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Jairen
Mike, there is definitely a smell with ART's. There is no difference in smell compared to conventional test pipes and ART pipes.
Word.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The smell isn't too bad. Only time it is really noticeable is when the windows are down and you're at a stop, at least thats the case for me.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:46 PM
It blows my mind how often the smell comes up. It is a test pipe!! Resonated or not, if there is no catalytic converter in the exhaust then there will be smells due to sulfur etc in the fuel, the more fuel (ie rich) the stronger the smell.

I have seen posts saying, I am afraid of the smell of ART pipes so I am going to get some Megan resonated TP instead. I think Motordyne has probably not sold hundred of these due to ignorance.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:38 AM
I think if one were to get the ART pipes (and is leary of the smell), they should pony up for the xyz pipe w/HFC module...performance, without the "smell"

Last edited by CPJ LB; 11-23-2011 at 01:39 AM. Reason: *
The following users liked this post:
Trigo (11-30-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 06:39 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by OCG35
to those indicating they smell like test pipes, do you have them or are you speculating?

I guess posts like this one:

and several others in that thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...ml#post6105584 are what I recall reading... I seem to remember several other threads and posts that indicate the same (but I dont think it's necessary for me to dig them up)... And some of the people that I have talked with that have them have indicated the smell really isnt an issue.

So once again - in my polite manner... this topic seems to be more of an answer to a problem that doesnt seem to exist.

If you are ultra sensitive to smells (even though these apparently arent an issue for most people), you might as well use HFC. Or get with someone that has ART pipes and smell, you might find it's a non issue (like so many others have).

Good day
Glad you posted this, as I was reading the thread I was wondering what all the fuss was about. I'm running the ARTs on a full MD exhaust with a resonated XYZ and resonated mid and the exhaust smell is almost non-existent even with the windows down. Now, I'm an old-school muscle car guy so I actually enjoy smelling it when it happens, but geez, people in this thread are making the issue out to be waaaaaay worse than it actually is.

Passing smog is another issue all together, but if Texas ever goes to a sniffer, then I'll just buy the HFC module for the XYZ and I'll be good to go.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm also worried about attracting more attention from the cops. Even if the smell isn't obnoxious it's asking to be pulled over and ticketed for a whole rack of items. Virginia is very strict where we aren't supposed to modify our exhaust at all. I try to keep the noise to a minimum when I see them but I don't wanna push my luck.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OCG35
with all due respect, this (thread topic) seems to look for an answer to a problem that doesnt exist (to my knowledge)...

I haven't heard or read of complaints of exhaust/fumes smell from ART pipes... maybe I haven't talked to enough people that have 'em or read enough threads?... is the smell an issue?

As for passing smog - it's not going to matter (in terms of legality) in any state that has visual inspection. Granted, I'm in smog **** CA so it's an issue here - but slapping on OEM cats at time for smog rectifies that kooky problem.

Maybe I'm out-of-touch with the recent reports from ART pipes... I know most test pipes result in a foul smell that many don't like - I just haven't heard the complaints regarding ART pipes - are people speculating? Or has it actually been an issue?
I'm about to pull the trigger on ART pipes. Here's why.

+Best performance
+No CELS
+New Brace design reduces movment/vibration issue
+Will pass Calif smog>>>ONCE OBD ONLY KICKS IN 2013. (I won't have to test until 2015)
+Best sound of any HFC or TP

OK..so that leaves the *SMELL* issue. I haven't experienced the typical TP smell on this car yet, but from what I have read, it's not an issue if you have windows up (as I always do..use AC instead) and you're MOVING. Only time it's an issue is at a standstill with windows down. Someone can correct me here if I'm off base on this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ART pipes with HFC