Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

MREV swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 01:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MREV swap

just to go on a rant about pep boys tool loaner program...

so im parting out my car and i go to remove my mrev and spacer.. removal was a sinch.. usually when i work on my car i always expect something random and catastrophic to happen. so far it was smooth sailing for a pretty straight forward swap. until i came to torquing down the oem lower plenum... using the loaner in/lbs torque wrench i got from pep boys i started tightening down the 6 long bolts as i was torquing i noticed that the wrench wasnt clicking when i was sure it was at 40in/lb.. foolishly i continued to torque and have faith in the tools. i finally assume that it HAD to be 40in/lb so i moved to the next bolt. after the same issue i stopped and moved to a random bolt on my car and set the wrench to 20in/lb and BAM! the nut breaks! (dont worry i can get it out). when this happens i immediately become worried about my car. when i loosen the bolts i had "torqued" i only was left to find this :

oh FUKC!!!! after going to pep boys and returning the wrench and getting my money back i spoke with a man that had the title "parts manager" on his name tag. im sorry to be so blunt but he may have been retard and offered little help..

ANYWAYS..... after trips to my local kragen, autozone, and home depots i learn that pep boys is the only local store with loaner tools.. AND nobody carried the bolts that are now broken..

my solution was to have nissan order the bolts for me and in 2 days i can finally finish this easy swap that got jacked up because i used a pep boys loaner tool..

#rantover.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what up brotha!!!! LOL...I installed the MRev2 that I picked up from you -- thanks again -- and was extra careful on the tightening of the bolts....

btw, the car runs great -- what a difference....I also picked up the MD Isothermal gasket...big difference....

I need to hit up your mechanics in OC.....

Old 11-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
if you dont have an inch pound torque wrench, just use a nut driver and tighten by hand as tight as you can get... an average adult male will be pretty damn close to 100 in lbs

on the other hand, a few good torque wrenches are worth spending money on... decent ones will last you a life time.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
At that point, I would probably just buy a quality torque wrench.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had this issue when my mechanic did not torque the bolts properly. Luckily it was ok with one broken bolt, I bought a new lower runner and will swap it (ported) one day.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CPJ LB
what up brotha!!!! LOL...I installed the MRev2 that I picked up from you -- thanks again -- and was extra careful on the tightening of the bolts....

btw, the car runs great -- what a difference....I also picked up the MD Isothermal gasket...big difference....

I need to hit up your mechanics in OC.....
nice man congrats. its a great mod.

Originally Posted by herrschaft
At that point, I would probably just buy a quality torque wrench.
yep i ended up picking up one from osh.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
oh yes...I def used a torque wrench...very handy to have in the garage