Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Stillen CAI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Antrock

I am an office guy with soft hands so I try and let someone more qualified do the work. I have a friend who owns a shop right by my house in King of Prussia PA. I could have done it but it would have taken me a while and I would have second guessed my work unless it felt like a supercharger was installed...

It took him 1-1/2 hours or so he said. Let's face it...I haven't dyno'd or timed the car with either intake. I can feel that it is more responsive, but again, the car was responsive without the mod so it is really not tremendous. It does feel nice when pulling through the 3000-5000 range as you don't have to mash the accelerator to get it to move quite as much.

I am bad at objectively stating these things without spending some time on highway and sort of forgetting about it...right now the radio hasn't been on in two days and I am flooring at every stop to get the feel for my mod. The right way to get the feel it to forget about it, turn the radio back on and go throught the commuting motions. It's hard to see differences when you floor it (there is a difference). The real difference I paid for is the not flooring it but winding it out 3-6k rmp getting the extra punch. I like it and i like the sound really, I dont like the attention it brings when you floor it. It's as loud as my zx-11 ninja at 6700 rpm.

I got it from Intense Motorsports 480-926-5453. I paid a little more than 260 and I hear It can be had for 240. Call and haggle is my suggestion.

Old 05-01-2003, 02:38 PM

I have not noticed any difference in the sound, nor has my wife (very important). As for performance, I'll have to go to the Wednesday evening "grudge drags" at Infineon/Sears Point to check.

<font color=blue>Dan</font color=blue>

Old 05-01-2003, 02:53 PM

Hi. How does the venturi effect increase power and efficiency? I'm at a loss to figure this out.

Old 05-01-2003, 06:24 PM

I have read liitle about this and am too lazy to read other posts...so help me here. Swirled Imust be a better word) air makes better combustion.

I like what you did with your Z mod. How does that affect the performance. You said you didn't have the noise, but have you been to 6700 rpm? You rmod prb doesn't provide the airflow of the CAI pipe right?

Old 05-01-2003, 09:16 PM

"Swirled" is actually a pretty good description. It reminds me of the Austin-Healy "Turbulator" racing pistons from the '60s.

Very turbulent air does help to promote mixing of fuel and air which leads to more efficient burning. But I believe the added turbulence is only effective after the injectors. Upstream of the injectors the engine designer would want to minimize any air flow losses, which means minimizing turbulence, up to a point. (If there are any aerodynamicists out there perhaps you can help here.) I just don't understand what benefit a venturi provides just after the air filter. There is a pressure loss entering the venturi and a pressure loss exiting it. This all adds up to less air flow. However, a full diameter properly radiused transition from the filter box to the inlet duct would help to increase flow. Sorry for the technical ramble, but I've been a gearhead since 1961, which eventually lead me into chemical engineering.

Improved performance? Who knows? I'll have to take the G to the drags sometime. I was thinking of tubing up the inlet tract to a manometer to take some pressure drop measurements, but that is too extreme for a daily driver.

Old 05-01-2003, 10:04 PM

Hey dspisak, thanks for posting the pics. Wonder how this mod would interact with the Stillen Hi-Flow box? Hmmmm....Looks like I will be spending some time at the dyno!!!!!

Limited Edition Twilight Blue / Premium / Graphite / Xenons

Old 05-01-2003, 10:13 PM

Good point. I'll have to take a look at their high flow box.

Old 05-02-2003, 07:38 AM

The one thing I read a long time ago said that the swirled air made it all the way to the valves. I'm sure the air is more swirly at the filter than the ccombustion chamber but hey - there is mo better air any event right?

Old 05-04-2003, 09:40 PM

Just order the Stillen for my G. Can't wait til it arrives so I can install it and se if I can feel the supposed 11hp gain!

Old 05-05-2003, 09:13 PM

mstil35, where did you order your Stillen High Flow box from?

Old 05-06-2003, 02:20 PM

Ordered it from www.stillen.com
was $260.00 plus shipping

Old 05-13-2003, 08:31 PM

Just recveived my Stillen intake and installed it. Took about an hour. The bottom bolt was a b#$h to get in. Like the "throatier" sound when you mash on the gas. Seems to have more power around 5000 to 6000 rpm. Will have to play with it for a few days to see if I can notice a big difference.

Old 05-13-2003, 10:11 PM

mstil35, I installed mine last week. I too had problems with the same bolt. I have big hands, so I had problems tightening the bolt. Yes, it does have a nice throaty growl at 4000+ RPM. My wife thinks it has lost power. She is probaby right since the HP gains are in the upper RPM band. I like the OEM style look and installation was fairly simple. The longest part of the installation was getting the MAF connector off. I did not want to break it off 'cause it looks expansive to replace. The car seem to flow easier through the gears in Manumatic mode. Response is also quicker above 3000RPM. I have not evaluated gas mileage yet since it has been recently installed. I am happy with the results so far. Next purchase is a 350Z intake duct (the part the connects from the MAF to the intake maifold).

Old 05-20-2003, 12:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Stillen CAI

Hi all!

Received my Stillen Box today and Installed it tonight! All are corect about that bootom bolt! I used two socket extenders with two joint connectors and help the 10MM socket on the bolt and turned! Went on without much difficulty doing that! Otherwise installation was a breeze! i broke of the MAS wire clip to my stock box when I installed a K&N stock sized filter so that posed no problem to me. I starter her up shortly after installation and no check engine light so I guess I did it correctly! I'll post my opinions on sound and performance gains once I drive around a while!

2003.5 G35 Sedan
Premium
Bose
Sunroof
Bi-Xenon's
Aero/Sport
Winter
Splash Guards

Old 05-20-2003, 02:03 AM

hey dspisak or anyone. What's your opinion on foam filters? I'm thinking of putting my injen back on after I make some kind of shield to cover the exposed side of the filter facing the grill of the bumper cover. I was thinking of trying another type of filter too.

BS G35C 6spd navi/aero/prem

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen CAI