Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Stillen CAI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Antrock

Until there is sound proof that an aftermarket filter is at least as efficient in filtering as the stock filter, I'll stay with the stock filter.

<font color=blue>Dan</font color=blue>

Old 05-20-2003, 02:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not going to happen. The better it filters the air, the less air it lets through.

Of course, this is one of the reasons why I'm trying to decide whether or not to get a bypass oil filter -- to help remove whatever the air filter misses. But I think I'm just going to keep everything stock for awhile and work on upgrading the driver for now. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 05-20-2003, 05:00 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, but only in part. If you increase the surface area of the filter medium, you increase the air flow at the same filtration level. Also the composition of the filter medium is a factor.
For oil filters using a synthetic medium, you can actually increase filtering efficiency and still maintain a high flow rate. I'm sure this applies to air filters as well, so there are a lot of factors to take into consideration.

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 05-20-2003, 10:43 PM
Re: Stillen CAI

All,

I bought a K&N oil/paper filter when I had 150 mi. on the car and have used it since then. When I installed the Stillen which comes with a cone oil/paper filter, the MAS was as clean as the day I put the rectangular K&N in! No dirt at all in the tube! Today I have 7140 mi. on the car! If anything would penetrate the through the K&N, it didn't happen here. Plus the oil has not gucked up the MAS! So, if you're thinking of going with a foam, I suggest you consider K&N instead. I tested it at a auto parts store and it makes a considerable airflow difference!

Now, onto the topic. I love the Stillen! The Grrrr from the car is awesome and it really shines anywhere above 3000rpm! Since the Stillen didn't come with any foam insulation like the stock box, I purchased some auto weathersrtipping from Home Depot and put it on. Almost looks like the stock box but witha cone K&N that has twice the surface area of the rectangle! I highly suggest the Stillen on place of any foam or "less than normal" filter!

2003.5 G35 Sedan
Premium
Bose
Sunroof
Bi-Xenon's
Aero/Sport
Winter
Splash Guards

Old 05-20-2003, 10:54 PM

Hey Chiphead, are you talking about the foam that was on the "Power Duct" flap from the OEM Box? If so, then that piece does come off of the OEM box and snaps right into the pre drilled holes on the Stillen unit. I love the Sillen too. Great buy. I also think I am getting better gas mileage.

Limited Edition Twilight Blue / Premium / Graphite / Xenons

Old 05-21-2003, 02:49 PM

How were you able to test the K&N at the auto parts store? If Nissan has designed the engine with an efficient intake tract it should flow about 320 SCFM near redline. The auto parts store had a test device with that much flow?

Old 05-21-2003, 04:29 PM

Chiphead,
Having owned and driven the g35 with first the K&N filter on it, and now with the Stillen CAI on it, can you honestly say that you notice a different between the two? And if so how, is it the sound, performance, or gas mileage that has changed? I am considering doing the same to my G, but I don't know whether to just do a K&N filter change, or do the whole Stillen upgrade, please advise.

Once you own the best, everything else is just the rest...

Old 05-21-2003, 09:55 PM
ijk

so anyone with final word? Injen or Stillen? Which is better?

Old 05-21-2003, 10:47 PM

Hi all!

Ok, to answer your inquiries one by one...

mbarrad, the foam on the duct is what I was talking about. I had no idea the stock box had a piece on it that snaps onto the Stillen. I'll check that out! I wondered why there were two holes on the top of the Stillen box with nothing attaching to them. If this is the case, then I'll pop that baby on there after taking off the foam I installed and see how it goes! Again if this is the case, then I think it's the way to go-I like the "keeping it stock" look so this would be great!

dspisak, The k&n test thingy was at an auto parts store with a standard paper filter and a k&n filter cut to a smaller size wiith a vacuum pump, a plastic tube with a ping pong ball in it attached to a plexiglas box. When you stick the standard filter element in the inlet on the box and turn on the vacuum, the ping pong ball rises about 3/4 of the way up the tube and kind of dangles in mid-air. When you put the k&n element in and do the same, the ping pong ball shoots straight up to the top of the tube and stays there like it's stuck to the ceiling! Definitely more air flow capability from the k&n!

jmaloneydo, I just put the stillen in two nights ago. Not enough driving to notice any fuel consumption change. Definitely more umf when you hit the pedal with the Stillen that with just the k&n. Sound wise, it growls a whole lot more! I can hear the air whirring and getting sucked in when the gears change at higher rpm's! It's not obnoxious at all but a definite difference from the stock box and the k&n! When you get up to 5000+ revvies, then it roars real nice. I can hear it much better from inside the car that with the stock box!

ijk, I chose the Stillen over the Injen because...
A) Live near Chicago - viaducts flood! I will never hydrolock with the Stillen and I don't have to buy a bypass to overcome this. Stillen costs a bit more but less than with the bypass valve.
B) The Stillen uses the stock ducts built into the car - both the bottom one, the front one, and the one on top of the radiator. These ducts play an important role in allowing outside air into the intake and engine as easily as possible and keeps positive pressure where the intake manifold is. In essence, it acts like a ram-air duct. The ducts access air coming in from the bottom of the car (without risk of hydolock) and from under the hood as you drive. The Stillen box seals off any chance of hot radiator air directly entering the intake, which would degrade performance. utilizing a cone filter and the venturi ring that cyclones the air through the intake, it still looks stock which I wanted to keep with my car. Even a AEM short intake or a JWT POP charger doesn't do that. No ricer here man... So to say is Stillen better than Injen - for me it is. For you others, maybe not. I agree the Injen gives more ponies but at risk to fall to other catastrophies and to utilize the car's built-in features, the Stillen does the job! I love it!

Thanks!

2003.5 G35 Sedan
Premium
Bose
Sunroof
Bi-Xenon's
Aero/Sport
Winter
Splash Guards

Old 05-23-2003, 01:45 PM

Hey guys.. I love the whole idea of the Stillen using the stock ram air.. Then a gain I also like the Injens nice chrom finish.. But none of this matters.. If you add more air to the motor the ECU will make the proper adjustments to counter act the upgrade and you will get NO GAIN!! So I'm going to save my money till the guys get done with the reprograming of the ECU so when I do get 1 I know it will work not just for the first ride or 2..

Old 06-10-2003, 10:27 AM

This would fit my G35 Coupe?

Does it add any hp?

Does it get louder then the stock G35 Duct Assy having the 350Z Assy in?

Thanks...

Thinking of ordering it and connecting it to my stillen cold air intake and was wondering if it'd add more ponies or make any diff in sound...

Old 06-10-2003, 11:36 AM
ijk

Which sounds better? the Injen or Stillen?

Old 06-10-2003, 01:07 PM

Stillen has more of a squel to it? has anyone noticed that. I like mine alot though, more power, and better gas mileage

Old 06-10-2003, 02:27 PM

Hi, Cali_Eddie.
Will it fit the coupe? I don't know. The safest method would be to measure the length of each duct.

Added HP? I have not dyno'd it. I may take it up to the Infineon drag strip in a couple of weeks.

Louder? Not noticable.

Old 06-14-2003, 06:08 PM

How does it take when ordering from Intense Motorsports? Thanks

Honolulu, Hawaii

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen CAI