Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Best exhaust for my G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OBsessed
The biggest issue with the stock exhaust is the OEM cats. They're very restrictive. Upgrading them (with ART pipes ideally, HFCs or Test Pipes otherwise) will be the most beneficial. Beyond that it's just about build quality and tone, with MD and HKS being the exceptions and actually improving power.

BUT and this is a big ole but... Exhausts don't help our cars the way they do many others. Don't expect to slap one on and instantly get 40hp. No single mod (short of Turbo, Supercharger, or LS2 swap) by itself makes an enormous difference in power. It takes several working together and tuned correctly and get noticeable gains. The butt dyno will always say it's worth it but real provable numbers are harder to come by.

Note: Lots of **** gives maybe 1-10hp, the above is speaking about real power increases and is particularly aimed at a new buyer that hasn't seen first hand how hard it is to make NA power on a VQ35.

^^^this all makes sense. I am in the process of looking for a car, but when I get one I dont wanna go all crazy simply cuz Cali is a pain in the ***! So I can't even get HFC (legally) so I am looking into 3" piping with a lighter weight muffler. I was looking into the Tanabe Touring medalion exhaust and maybe a CAI. That should give me the sound I am looking for I hope! LOL. It is very hard to tell exactly what stuff sounds like online even with good speakers

Old 04-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Ok...scratch that, just heard a clip of a motordyne shockwave exhaust.....I'm sold!

Old 04-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
(I don't know so I'm asking) Are there no CARB legal high flow cats? And would they even know if it wasn't a stock cat as long as you had one? When I was there (briefly, thank god) I still had my truck and wasn't modding it so never had to suffer through all that, lol.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Also depending on where you're at in Cali you can very likely connect with guys that are running every type of exhaust imaginable. Lots of modded Gs from Cali on the forums so should be easy enough to hook up with some folks and get a listen in person. Check out the regional forums.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:01 PM
might have to. I can't even get STOCK cats shipped here. I think shops wont even install anything unless its CARB legal....not 100% sure though. And no, to answer your question, I don't think there are any CARB legal HFC's. I haven't seen any thats for sure...cuz I have looked! LOL

Old 04-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E90 DCT M3
Hahahaha thanks guys but i'm no where near cali or the US. I'm in lebanon and there aren't too much modded G35s, and unfortunately (even though i haven't tried yet) i can't order aftermarket stuff coz they don't ship to my country!

Last edited by Tarek Gabris; 04-17-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Grammatical mistake
Old 04-17-2013, 10:24 AM
There are vendors that will ship internationally unless there's some difficulty in getting things to Lebanon specifically. Send some messages to the vendors on the site that post in the Marketplace if you find the parts you're looking for, they might be able to help you out.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 AM
E90 DCT M3
Oh!!! i didn't know i could do that thanks alot man!!!!

Old 04-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Too bad you live in Cali and dont want to go with HFC or test pipes. Met a guy yesterday who has MD ART pipes and Megan mid pipes which sound great. No rasp but a deep drone. If you like the rasp, then MD all the way back like im getting

Old 04-17-2013, 11:04 AM
E90 DCT M3
Anyways if i install a ShockWave TDX2, how much hp will i gain?

Last edited by Tarek Gabris; 04-17-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm not exactly sure I couldn't find it on their website. If you're looking for fairly cheap hp gain I would look into Motordynes mRev2 and spacer. I think they give 10-15 hp each. Check out their site they have dynos for the plenum parts but not exhaust components.
www.motordyneengineering.com

Old 04-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by shawn12
Too bad you live in Cali and dont want to go with HFC or test pipes. Met a guy yesterday who has MD ART pipes and Megan mid pipes which sound great. No rasp but a deep drone. If you like the rasp, then MD all the way back like im getting
Yeah its rough but it is what it is. I heard a clip of Jayk's G with the ART pipes and the Shockwave and I damn near had to clean my keyboard! LOL
That ish sounds beasty and that is the sound I was looking for. More aggressive and a little louder, but still sounds like the stock exhaust. It was just mezmerizing

Old 04-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius
Yeah its rough but it is what it is. I heard a clip of Jayk's G with the ART pipes and the Shockwave and I damn near had to clean my keyboard! LOL
That ish sounds beasty and that is the sound I was looking for. More aggressive and a little louder, but still sounds like the stock exhaust. It was just mezmerizing
This weekend I'm headin down to ATL for a Import Alliance and was hoping my TDX2 would be in but it's not. By the time they get their next production set in, I might be able to go ahead and get the ART pipes as well. Big investment for such a small piece of pipe, but it sure makes a difference!

Old 04-18-2013, 03:51 AM
So wait...they have limited production on their products? Is it a wait list type deal? Whats up?

Old 04-18-2013, 04:25 AM
E90 DCT M3
Yup, something like that. You for it in advance and as soon as they get it done they'll ship it immediately.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best exhaust for my G35