Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

"test pipes"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 04:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"test pipes"

i was checking around and i have not found a "test pipe" that sais in the item description that the CEL will nto come on...any ideas on what brands dont make the light come on? also if you could link something that would be cool...is it even worth it? whats the hp gain?

Old 02-01-2005, 04:54 AM
I dont think that its the pipes that really make the CEL come on or not. That is determined by the ECU generation. Whether it a ULEV I or ULEV II. From what I understand production dates after 11/03 are the ones that would most likely throw the code. Mine is a 12/02 build date and so far with the Helix pipes...no code.

Took me a long time to decide on the pipes...and the biggest discussion is on the sound and raspy sound issue versus the check engine light. If the pipes are not resonated..then the raspy sound is more likely to be there. I hear it between 3500 to 4000 RPM's. Its not too bad....kind of sounds like a very fast rattling sound in an empty tin can though between those RPM's.

In retrospec, test pipes are better used on a FI engine versus a NA engine. There are some gains though.

Just my $.02. Goodluck.

Last edited by XLR8SN; 02-01-2005 at 05:01 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:09 PM
04 G35 6MT
In the same dilemma: Want to rack the car once and replace the exhaust with Helix cat deletes and Injen SES1992C dual exhaust. The techs at Helix said they have not experianced any customer complaints on the CEL but nothing beats replys from the guys who actually put the hydrocarbons & NO2 back in the air where they belong. How much difference is there in the sound between the catted and non-catted G's with true duals? With the next inspection in '08, my *** will be in another G before the pipe gets sniffed at a Delaware inspection lane. On another subject: With a Crawford V5 plenum, is there a hood modification needed and will the OEM shield go back on?

Old 02-01-2005, 01:34 PM
I cant answer the question about the Injen and the test pipes..however another member has the Injen duals with the cats and it can be loud at WOT. But at idle and normal driving, it is just a little deeper & louder versus stock. From other posts in regards to that combination (Injen + test pipes), it looks like it gets a little deeper and a lot louder. The Stillen + test pipes are supposedly the loudest combination.

If a CEL comes up you will either have to use the non-fouler plugs or use a O2 emulator.

From what I have seen and read, the V5 will not make you change your hood. You will not be able to use the OEM cover though. You can use it...but you will have to modify (cut it) to make it fit again. Was the V5 the latest version? I have heard discussion about a newer version coming...is this the one? Look into the plenum spacers as well. There has been dyno's and test in regarding this theory. Esprit in Japan brought this out first, and I guess only now the US market is looking into copying it.

Old 02-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Researching the O2 simulator I find nothing made by a reputable company just a lot of radio shack solder and prey contraptions that I would never plug into my car. I can push a mean wrench (23 years in the outboard/sterndrive field) but constructing a mickey mouse circut and having confidence in $10 worth of resistors vs a $1K plus ECU taint worth it. In the end, if I remove the test pipes at $159 to stop the CEL, no great loss, EBay to the rescue.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:10 PM
As mentioned. If you are going to keep your car N/A..then the high flow resonated cats would be the best way to go. Minimal back pressure without all that rattles and the gas smell.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:10 PM
i dont mind the extra noise what i am concerned about is the CEL cuz once that comes in your computer adjusts itself and its fuel map...so what should i do? leave it alone or any suggestions? i am not goign to mickey mouse some radio shack stuff as mentioned up top and not gonan drop $1000 on high flows...so leave it alone or get it...my car is a 04 g35 i dunno which computer i have in my car

Old 02-01-2005, 11:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
actually the o2 sensor in the cats do not effect the ecu in any way. There is another sensor in the engine for that. The o2 cel just tells u something is not right with your cats. But if your test pipes cause the cel to stay on, how will you know when it really comes on???