Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Larger 3" MAF Housing + 3 inch intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Larger 3" MAF Housing + 3 inch intake

Been doing some reasearch.... Looking at simple logic here... Wanting to open my intake up to 3" all the way from the pod filter. Thinking of buying a 3" or even 3.5" MAF housing, 3" intake pipe then hook it up to the NWP 75mm throttle body...

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...+Hitachi+Style

Anyone done similar i understand a tune is required will a Uprev tune me able to adjust MAF readings?
Logic bigger intake more air more power??
Any info would be great

Old 01-06-2014, 06:46 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
uprev can tune for these changes but since the plenum neck is still smaller, it probably won't net much gain for the price of all the components. Plus, to take full advantage you'd need headers, exhaust, and most likely cams with a proper tune for still minimal gains.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,027 Likes on 944 Posts
This would sound like a monster up front though. With the 1/2" spacer and tune it should increase your top end well. Talk to the forum tuners like Seymore4 for more info.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
You can go larger than 3" and there are good reasons to. I'm running a 3.5" intake/MAF housing through a ported NWP Throttle Body and ported Kinetix Velocity. Needs to be retuned at 3.5" of course, 3" isn't much bigger than stock (my Z tube's ID was 2.8") and shouldn't require a tune. I know quite a few guys running 3.5s and a couple running 4" intake tubes, all through larger throttle bodies. Even on a stock TB you'll see some increase in airflow but you'll lose a little velocity as it bottle necks down at the TB. There's enough material on the TB edge of the stock plenum (and most of the aftermarkets as well) to port that opening to match a larger TB and smooth the transition from 3+ down.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where can I find larger intake tubes?

Old 01-12-2014, 08:27 PM
There was a limited run of them made and sold not long ago so keep an eye out on the marketplace / Facebook groups for one to pop up.

Or make one.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OBsessed
You can go larger than 3" and there are good reasons to. I'm running a 3.5" intake/MAF housing through a ported NWP Throttle Body and ported Kinetix Velocity. Needs to be retuned at 3.5" of course, 3" isn't much bigger than stock (my Z tube's ID was 2.8") and shouldn't require a tune. I know quite a few guys running 3.5s and a couple running 4" intake tubes, all through larger throttle bodies. Even on a stock TB you'll see some increase in airflow but you'll lose a little velocity as it bottle necks down at the TB. There's enough material on the TB edge of the stock plenum (and most of the aftermarkets as well) to port that opening to match a larger TB and smooth the transition from 3+ down.
Who ported your NWP Throttle body for you and to what size did you go to? Just wondering cause I wanted to do the same things.

Thanks

Old 02-13-2014, 03:50 PM
Damn I never saw this, sorry man. I had my throttle body, kinetix velocity and lower runners all ported by a buddy in Texas. I don't know if he's still very interested in doing more because some guys have been ****** about sending their parts in and he's staying busy on Mopar stuff. The throttle body is almost 79mm on the MAF side and about 77 on the Kinetix side as that's all he felt safe to take out of the Kinetix. There was plenty of room to move more air through the adapter but I think he was worried about making the Velocity's walls too thin and stopped there. Really this should be pretty easy to replicate by a good machine shop, while I'd recommend my guy in a heart beat I've gotten the impression he doesn't want to deal with VQ guys anymore lol.

The following users liked this post:
arock292 (02-13-2014)