Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Anyone used a Borla ProXS 400287 muffler/resonator?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 10:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Anyone used a Borla ProXS 400287 muffler/resonator?

I've had the Borla TD catback system on my sedan for about 5yrs and the center resonator/muffler started coming apart and rattling inside. I took a risk, being ok with a louder exhaust and just replaced it with straight pipes. The little resonator tubes and rear muffler still intact. Naturally, it got a lot louder, but the signature, low growl that Borla is known for was completely gone.

Interested enough, the drone below 2500rpm was almost completely gone. Once I realized this, I started researching options...thinking I'd probably end up going with the resonated Xpipe that Jeff92se has several threads about. But I didn't want the tone to change much. I like the more GT-R sound the Borla gives instead of the coupe sound that many try to get.

I went back a week later to the shop I go to, and they had a 2in/out Borla muffler that looked similar to the CBE system one that went out on me. This one had slightly curved tubing inside with a hole cut where they met. Perfect! Essentially a Borla resonated X pipe. The only problem is it's 2.5" tubing instead of the Borla 2.25". The Borla part number was 400286. After a little research, I found the 400287 has 2.25" tubing.

So this brings me to my question of whether anyone has ever used it before. I'm hoping it will calm the original drone a bit, and most importantly bring back a little torque while keeping the nice, deep Borla growl.