Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Another "what's the best (cheap) exhaust" thread.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 01:09 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
OP, if you looking for the sound, nothing that any of us can suggest will be any help to you since everyone has their own taste in exhausts.

Exhaust only have few main characteristics that make it good or bad.
1. build quality
2. performance gain
3. sound quality.

2 you can get from any (name brand or not) exhaust as long as it's built properly (correct pipe sizing)
1 you can also get from a budget exhaust, but you have to ask people around how it holds up to the use
3 is your own preference and does not matter if it's a budget or a name brand exhaust. Some like Motordyne, some don't.

I did a following research when I bought my ExoticSpeed. I read all of the Motordyne thread about their exhaust and all of the testing they have done to make it. It all came down to the pipe sizing. Then I went on to listening to exhaust notes and found one I liked (ExoticSpeed). I made sure that the piping on ExoticSpeed is same size as was tested by Motordyne and bought my self the exhaust.
I'm willing to bet that my setup with Fast Intention cats, ebay 2.5 to 3 inch Ypipe and ExoticSpeed R1-T exhaust will show same numbers as motordyne cat-back will on the dyno.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:37 PM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
I'm on stock cats and during my city driving drone isn't an issue for me. Between those points at that rev range my exhaust note isn't a problem it is noticeable but, not a headache. I'm considering hfc's but, it's not on my priority list. The one thing I LOVE about my exhaust is, the harder I push it the better it sounds along with the intake. Once my coupe hits 4000 rpm I can feel the exhaust really open up and my coupe feels like a thoroughbred that just doesn't want to stop. Since I'm the second owner I'm wondering if the previous owner did any mods to it. Just by eyeing everything in the engine bay I can't tell. As far as the exhaust goes I would have left the stock cats on and did a tune. I also would swap out the stock clutch and fly wheel for something lighter and a stage 2 or stage 3 clutch. The difference will amaze you. At the differential I'd swap out the factory diff for a quiafe limited slip unit and the nismo finned diff cover along with the Wilhite line bushings, and maybe a one piece aluminum drive shaft. If you're still hungry for more. I'd look into a set of cams and rebuild the bottom end with new pistons and connecting rods. Nothing too aggressive because it's still a daily driver. But, with these upgrades you'll be more than satisfied.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks
I bought my Exotic Speed exhaust used from the classified section of this forum. I've had it for just over two years and I'm loving every complaint free mile of it. The sound is beautiful, the complements are constant, the performance is noticeable, and my grin never stops. I paid $600 for it from a member on this forum and drove 2 hours one way to pick it up myself.

I installed it myself and saved quite a bit of money in the process. I suggest you try looking in the private classifieds to see what's available, what's the asking price, is it in your budget, and most importantly DO YOU LIKE IT. Too bad you don't live in Maryland. I've got a stock exhaust off of my 05 6mt coupe with just over 25,000 miles on it in perfect condition, just sitting in my basement. When I bought my 05 6mt coupe it had just over 25,000 miles on it. I immediately swapped out the stock exhaust for my Exotic Speed And never looked back.
Yeah I browsed around the classifieds a bit and didn't find anything. But i'm not really worried about paying full price for a new one. I'll know everything is in perfect condition and i'll get a one year warranty, and who knows when someone will be selling theirs. I can shell out the extra cash.

And i'm not actually too far from maryland, but after what you said I don't really want the stock back haha

Old 03-24-2015, 05:26 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
I'm on stock cats and during my city driving drone isn't an issue for me. Between those points at that rev range my exhaust note isn't a problem it is noticeable but, not a headache. I'm considering hfc's but, it's not on my priority list. The one thing I LOVE about my exhaust is, the harder I push it the better it sounds along with the intake. Once my coupe hits 4000 rpm I can feel the exhaust really open up and my coupe feels like a thoroughbred that just doesn't want to stop. Since I'm the second owner I'm wondering if the previous owner did any mods to it. Just by eyeing everything in the engine bay I can't tell. As far as the exhaust goes I would have left the stock cats on and did a tune. I also would swap out the stock clutch and fly wheel for something lighter and a stage 2 or stage 3 clutch. The difference will amaze you. At the differential I'd swap out the factory diff for a quiafe limited slip unit and the nismo finned diff cover along with the Wilhite line bushings, and maybe a one piece aluminum drive shaft. If you're still hungry for more. I'd look into a set of cams and rebuild the bottom end with new pistons and connecting rods. Nothing too aggressive because it's still a daily driver. But, with these upgrades you'll be more than satisfied.
I probably would have never gotten the exhaust if not for my stock cats that went bad. So my main replacement part was the cats, exhaust was just an add on (Valentines day present). Most of my attention going towards new stereo, seats and bottom end. In that order. As those are the things that require some fixing at the moment.
BTW I've heard troubling things about solid diff bushings. They seem to transfer way to much noise and vibration into the car for my liking. I also DD my coupe and comfort is on the list of priorities. Solid bushings on suspension is enough of road noise for me for now.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:51 PM
Thumbs up

For your stereo I'd check out sonicelectronix.com. I bought most of my new stereo system from them and their prices are very good. When you say bottom end are you speaking of your motor. If so, that would be a great time to rebuild the entire motor. New cams, valves, valve springs and retainers, Arp bolts, connecting rods, pistons, port and polish, block decked, everything. I'm sure you'd have one heck of an NA coupe on your hands.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:56 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
For your stereo I'd check out sonicelectronix.com. I bought most of my new stereo system from them and their prices are very good. When you say bottom end are you speaking of your motor. If so, that would be a great time to rebuild the entire motor. New cams, valves, valve springs and retainers, Arp bolts, connecting rods, pistons, port and polish, block decked, everything. I'm sure you'd have one heck of an NA coupe on your hands.
I want Android stereo in the car. So I'm waiting for Parrot RNB6 to come out (if it ever does). As far as the build. I don't think it's going to happen, I'll probably just do the rings and what ever else is necessary to get rid of oil consumption.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:08 PM
Thumbs up

Try sonicelectronix.com they may have what you want. In order to get rid of the OC you may have to put in new pistons
Why put new rings on old pistons.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:58 AM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Try this

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271576035621?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

Old 03-27-2015, 11:19 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Another total trash y-back exhaust!

Company's put the JDM name on anything today...sad! That looks like the same cheap y-back exhaust Magnalow manufactures and Stillen sells. I was sponsored one of these and it was on for maybe 10 days, which was how long it took me to get my HKS system delivered.
Gary

Old 03-27-2015, 12:44 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Really?

Old 04-22-2017, 09:37 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Company's put the JDM name on anything today...sad! That looks like the same cheap y-back exhaust Magnalow manufactures and Stillen sells. I was sponsored one of these and it was on for maybe 10 days, which was how long it took me to get my HKS system delivered.
Gary
Maybe I shouldn't have called Magnflows y-back system cheap, but the sound wasn't different than factory! They do make a really good cat-back true dual system which includes their x-pipe...my first aftermarket system!
Originally Posted by JKL1031
Really?
Yep!
Gary