Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Stillen CAI dry filter replacement.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillen CAI dry filter replacement.

What kind and were can I order a quality DRY cone filter for my Stillen Air Box.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
iirc, ttrank used to use an aem dry filter for his stillen intake.

Originally Posted by ttrank
Changed mine to an AEM dryflow.
Originally Posted by ttrank
I don't have a PN, just got it by size and my receipt doesn't say. I don't remember the length but the hole is 6". It was only ~$39 shipped.

Last edited by Calvin; 11-08-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by aHero4Eternity
iirc, ttrank used to use an aem dry filter for his stillen intake.
has anyone ever posted the part number?... I've seen bunches of posts, but never a definitive for finding the correct replacement.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I remember researching the Amsoil dry filter and commenting that the cone replacement was about 1" longer. I've been wanting to try out the Amsoil dry filter. I'm more impressed with this one
http://www.amsoil.com/products/ea_fi..._and_Specs.pdf

Looks like the 6065 is the only one that has a chance at fitting. I'll measure the length of my K&N in my stillen tonight. The Media height is 6.5"

Last edited by Jeff92se; 11-08-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I remember researching the Amsoil dry filter and commenting that the cone replacement was about 1" longer. I've been wanting to try out the Amsoil dry filter. I'm more impressed with this one

Looks like the 6065 is the only one that has a chance at fitting. I'll measure the length of my K&N in my stillen tonight. The Media height is 6.5"
to my knowledge no one has ever determine the part number for the K&N that comes with Stillens kit... so it's hard to know which replacement to use.

I've seen several threads, but never came across any definitive - so I keep using the oiled K&N... I'd love to find the correct dry filter replacement - either Ams or AEM

Old 11-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se

That would be great. Once you take the measurements let us know. Thanks.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Yeah, yeah, like you two couldn't lift the hood and measure. lol. Okay I measured the length. It's 5". I measured only the media height. I didn't include the flange dimension.
From my best guess the Stillen uses a RC-2960
RC-2960 Product Specifications
Product Style: Round Tapered Universal Air Filter
Base Outside Diameter: 7.5 in (191 mm)
Flange Inside Diameter: 6 in (152 mm) (part that goes over the flange)
Flange Length: 1 in (25 mm)
Flange Type: Centered
Height: 5 in (127 mm)
Top Outside Diameter: 5 in (127 mm)
Top Style: Metal
Top Material/Finish: Chrome

The amsoil: 6065 matches the K&N in all specs except the length. It's 6.5" long. 1.5" longer than the K&N. See pic of my setup here:

You can see that it will hit the Stillen plastic part at the end of the filter housing. 1" longer will just hit the plastic. 1.5" will put it beyond the plastic. It will also hit the power duct if you have it installed. I "think" if you cut the stillen plastic away for clearance, the Amsoil would fit. I didnt' see a particular function of the plastic pieces that needed to be cut anyway. Also you might be able to cheat a bit on the Z tube or maf connections etc...

Last edited by Jeff92se; 11-09-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:54 AM
AEM's Dryflow filters come in the same size as the Stillen/K&N. I just installed the Dryflow filter... AEM Part #: 21-209EDK

some pics...
Name:  IMG_0617.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0618.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  88.0 KB

There is a slight problem though. The aluminum mounting piece that goes in the filter does not go all the way in on the AEM. On the K&N, the aluminum piece sits flush, while it sticks out around 3/4 of an inch on the AEM filter. See next 2 pics...
Name:  IMG_0619.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  63.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0620.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  59.8 KB

The difference was still manageable, and I was able to install the new filter. The mounting piece still goes in deep enough to be secured by the clamp, and the bulge in the plastic housing from the filter pushing against it isn't too bad.
Before (pic of stillen on a diff car - same -ish)
Name:  IMG_0622.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  87.0 KB
After
Name:  IMG_0621.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  88.4 KB

Old 12-05-2007, 03:08 PM
how many miles did you have the stillen filter on for?

Old 12-05-2007, 03:40 PM
I don't think an actual correct fit dry filter replacement exists. The one above isn’t quite right... I wouldn’t use it (no offense).

Old 12-05-2007, 03:49 PM
^I hear ya... but rest assured, the filter has the exact same dimensions as the K&N in size. The only difference is the AEM has a little ridge inside the base that stops the mounting piece from going all the way in. I could have tried to force the piece in deeper or even sanded/scraped that ridge out so that the filter would mount exactly like the K&N filter, but I don't think its a big enough deal to warrant the trouble.

Miles on the K&N... hah, too many... I think somewhere around 23-25k.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Exe G
^I hear ya... but rest assured, the filter has the exact same dimensions as the K&N in size. The only difference is the AEM has a little ridge inside the base that stops the mounting piece from going all the way in. I could have tried to force the piece in deeper or even sanded/scraped that ridge out so that the filter would mount exactly like the K&N filter, but I don't think its a big enough deal to warrant the trouble.

Miles on the K&N... hah, too many... I think somewhere around 23-25k.
looks like the nose is a little wider (bigger diameter) - not that it matters much... the velocity ring issue is the biggest for me. But if the inside of the Ams rubber neck could be trimmed to allow the Stillen ring to fit all the way in I might re-consider... How is that filter element? Is the weave pretty tight? Does it have pretty good flow? Doe it seem relatively sturdy?

Old 12-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same filter. It's very sturdy. It uses a polyfiber technology. You buy a cleaner for it, but it does not need oiling.
The Amsoil uses nano-fibers and low pressure shop air for cleaning, and no oil. I think it has a shorter life.
I never found an Amsoil that fits the Stillen box though. There's only the stock panel filter.
As Exe G says, The AEM will not fit fully on the ring, but it does seal (it's a very tight fit) well. No way it's coming apart on it's own.
It is not a problem I can see, flow is the same as near as I can tell. If you can feel or see a difference in flow let me know.

Last edited by fortified; 12-05-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:13 AM
^ +1
fortified pretty much covered what I wanted to say, and then some.

IMO the filter feels/looks like a quality product. Also,the mounting piece/ring is around 2" thick, so even if 3/4" sticks out, there is plenty of it in there to be held by the clamp.

Theres a lot of interesting info on the AEM Dryflow filters on AEM's website.
http://www.aempower.com/ViewTopic.aspx?TopicID=9
http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=93

Old 12-06-2007, 03:01 AM
Follow-up on that ridge i mentioned...

I was looking at the filter again to take a good look at that ridge, and I'm sorry to have to correct my previous statement. I don't think it would be a good idea to shave down the ridge. It becomes part of the base that holds the filter medium in place. If you were to shave a little for more clearance, you would only safely net a few extra milimeters of space. I hope no one has already purchased this filter with plans to completely shave off that ridge.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen CAI dry filter replacement.