Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

HKS Replica exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 03:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS Replica exhaust

Hello! So I have a HKS replica exhaust and I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix the fitment issue and what they did so that it lines up well. Thanks!

Old 12-15-2017, 09:44 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I'm not surprised, that's the price you pay for buying a knock off rather than the real deal! Best option is take it to your local muffler shop, they have tube benders that will allow everything to line up as intended.
Gary

Old 12-15-2017, 11:52 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Since that's pretty much the answer and this is on topic I don't feel bad derailing this thread.

I have this exhaust, I like the sound but I have one problem with it - low RPM buzzing. At 40 miles per hour in any gear (I usually keep it in 6th for MPG and downshift to accelerate) there's an annoying ear popping buzz upon application of the throttle. It's fine going downhill or on a flat road, but going up hills it gets to the point where you can't hold a conversation in the car - it sounds like a blimp.

I was planning on getting a magnaflow X pipe as I've heard this reduces drone and quiets things down a little. Does anybody else have this combo who can comment on the noise reduction, specifically buzzing noise at 1-3k RPMs on partial throttle input? My ideal goal is for a like-oem noise when driving conservatively while still retaining a louder exhaust note at near-WOT... as inexpensively as possible.

I'm trying to decide whether to try and mod the HKS rep exhaust with the x pipe or just get a pair of Magnaflow mufflers welded in.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:29 PM
The noise you're hearing is likely your exhaust pipe coming in contact with a section of the frame. Next time you have your oil changed follow the path of your exhaust system making sure there's ample room so it's not touching anything. Pipe can be moved with just a large screw driver. You also have the option of taking your G to a muffler shop! Noises can be a major PIA!
Gary

Old 12-15-2017, 02:57 PM
Hmm my bad, I didn't explain very well. When I say "buzzing" I mean it's just a loud low tone exhaust noise.... "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" at low RPMs, at about 75 Hz. It's definitely the exhaust as I can control (but not reduce past a point) it with the throttle. I've been under my car a bunch of times (as well as replaced all the exhaust gaskets myself) and there's no issues with the exhaust routing. It's only a question of whether the X pipe will get rid of, or at least significantly reduce, exhaust noise under low throttle application at low RPMs. I could just throw money at it but being in college I'd like to get it right first time if at all possible!

Old 12-15-2017, 08:39 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,459 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yeah that's just drone resonating through the cabin. It's REALLY hard to say if replacing any individual components will fix it or not unless someone has an EXACT experience with it, this is basically why quality exhaust systems cost so much money, they are engineered to only emit ear-friendly tones through the entire rpm band under variable loads while also eliminating backpressure.

Usually X pipes work by causing turbulence in the exhaust stream which basically makes the noise collide against itself, it might not COMPLETELY eliminate drone (random rpm/load combinations) but should make it where you can have a conversation in the car.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:15 AM
Hmm okay. I'll get the x pipe and record before and after results, I'll post em here

Old 12-16-2017, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by cswlightning
Hmm okay. I'll get the x pipe and record before and after results, I'll post em here
Keep in mind the x-pipe isn't a fix all for all systems! We began using them due to a manufactures defect in the HKS crossover. Even the knockoff systems shouldn't be having the kind of sound (rasp ?) you're having! If I was having you're issue I'd take the exhaust apart and visually check out each section for some type if defect. You didn't leave some of that packing inside the pipe before installing?
Gary

Old 12-16-2017, 10:40 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,459 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Rasp wouldn't cause that sensation of not being able to hear while talking though, that's just the extremely "ricey" sound some exhaust systems make. For drone you just have to break up the low frequency tones in the 75-125hZ range, and it's not something you want to ignore either, bad cabin drone can actually cause SUBSTANTIAL hearing loss over time.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my car with this exhaust and I’m not in love with the sound either. Would it be worth it to find some REAL HKS used and just replace the mufflers? I

Old 12-17-2017, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Someone (Nitsuj) is selling a full HKS here for a reasonable cost.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:05 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G35 coupe 6mt
All the time and $$ to fix all that issue with replica could be easily remedied by getting a real catback exhaust systems, a one time peace of mind investment where you don't have to worry about it later.

A used ark, hks, invidia catback system will cost around 6-700 which almost equal to the $300 replica system plus whatever cost of muffler shop trying to fix rasp rattle etc.