Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Resonated vs un-resonated HFCs to help with drone?

Old 02-05-2019, 09:03 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Resonated vs un-resonated HFCs to help with drone?

I need some advice. I'm thinking about finally getting some high flow cats, and I can't decide between resonated and unresonated. My exhaust sounds pretty good (and loud enough) as it is right now, but I have some drone at cruising RPM. If I'm in 6th gear, I have pretty loud drone at 55-70MPH, so I tend to drive in 5th gear at lower speeds which wastes gas. Would getting resonated high flow cats be likely to help with this? Or is it better to get un-resonated because it'll probably raise the tone of my exhaust?

Old 02-05-2019, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 807 Likes on 758 Posts
I think you are confusing resonated and un-resonated test pipes. All HFC's should be resonated because they have catalytic material .

IMO I can't stand the smell of test pipes so HFC ftw.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Nah there's high flow cats with additional resonators such as Fast Intentions and Ark Grip resonated high flow cats

Old 02-05-2019, 11:47 AM
Received 96 Likes on 89 Posts
Step 1: Buy unresonated ebay test pipes for $60

Step 2: Buy catalytic converters, resonators, giant muffler, J pipes, whatever custom exhaust component you would like for your application that will physically fit.

Step 3: Bring to muffler shop and have them combine the two for 30 minutes labor

If I were you I'd try and replicate the function of ART pipes except with catalytic converters but that's just me. "Quarter length wave resonator" "Heimholtz resonator"

Last edited by cswlightning; 02-05-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:47 PM
SLICK
Received 1,109 Likes on 984 Posts
Originally Posted by cswlightning View Post
Step 1: Buy unresonated ebay test pipes for $60
Step 2: Buy catalytic converters, resonators, giant muffler, J pipes, whatever custom exhaust component you would like for your application that will physically fit.
Step 3: Bring to muffler shop and have them combine the two for 30 minutes labor
If I were you I'd try and replicate the function of ART pipes except with catalytic converters but that's just me. "Quarter length wave resonator" "Heimholtz resonator"
I grew up in an era of leaded gasoline, exhaust tips were gray inside (lead) and the exhaust smelled great! Today's exhaust stinks, I ran ART pipes for a weekend and hated not being able to have my windows down because of how bad it smelled! "Fast Intentions HFC's" were the answer combined with my HKS exhaust system, perfect sound! You're better off not screwing with the factory exhaust if you can't or don't have the ability to run the right system, step #1 above won't sound or smell good! It takes longer than a half hour to do anything to our exhaust systems with any kind of quality!
Gary

Old 02-05-2019, 12:52 PM
I swear I never just get a straight answer on here anymore I feel like it's always just people going on a tangent to recommend something else >.<

I dunno what that poster is talking about. $60 for test pipes, $140 for 2 catalytic converters, $120 for a set of resonators, and then probably 100-200 for labor, and then zero resale value, vs getting something like Fast Intentions Resonated HFC and then being able to resell them at a good price later down the line.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well, the resonator is specifically their to reduce drone, rasp, and keep things a little quieter. so if you want to lower your drone, get resonated.

The following users liked this post:
philbegas (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 03:15 PM
I might end up adding a resonator to the midpipe of my exhaust as it is before I get HFCs

Old 02-05-2019, 04:08 PM
Received 96 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by philbegas View Post
I swear I never just get a straight answer on here anymore I feel like it's always just people going on a tangent to recommend something else >.<

I dunno what that poster is talking about. $60 for test pipes, $140 for 2 catalytic converters, $120 for a set of resonators, and then probably 100-200 for labor, and then zero resale value, vs getting something like Fast Intentions Resonated HFC and then being able to resell them at a good price later down the line.
$60 (pipes) + $100 (cats) + ~$80 (1 hour labor for simple weld) = $230 brand new bolt-on HFC, undercutting all commercial options by multiple hundreds of dollars while retaining a parts warranty.

Another $100 in piping + labor you would be able to add J pipes to this setup to combat drone in the same way ART pipes do with a quarter length wave resonator/heimholtz setup, without paying the premium for their calculations and testing.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:27 PM
Premier Member
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
I grew up in an era of leaded gasoline, exhaust tips were gray inside (lead) and the exhaust smelled great! Today's exhaust stinks, I ran ART pipes for a weekend and hated not being able to have my windows down because of how bad it smelled! "Fast Intentions HFC's" were the answer combined with my HKS exhaust system, perfect sound! You're better off not screwing with the factory exhaust if you can't or don't have the ability to run the right system, step #1 above won't sound or smell good! It takes longer than a half hour to do anything to our exhaust systems with any kind of quality!
Gary
Don't really notice any additional smell with Art Pipes unless I'm stopped with a window down. Windows up, no problems.

With regards to drone, the Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator does a really good job knocking it down significantly.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:31 PM
Honestly before I mess around with HFCs I think I'll just add a vibrant resonator to my exhaust and see how I like the sound