Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Stillen Exhaust Installed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 04:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stillen is not that loud..... it has a nice deep growl to it when you open it up... i personally love the sound... the car sounds mean, strong and sexy with the stillen..... if you think it's a little loud, put on the plenum, and it will subdue it a little bit..... Stillen Rocks.....

Old 02-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Sorry to thread jack but gxclusive where did you get those overlays for the your tail lights. I like the look because it doesnt cover the whole light as it leaves two circles.

Old 02-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by luongdmd
stillen is not that loud..... it has a nice deep growl to it when you open it up... i personally love the sound... the car sounds mean, strong and sexy with the stillen..... if you think it's a little loud, put on the plenum, and it will subdue it a little bit..... Stillen Rocks.....
I would think adding plenum would make the exhaust louder. It would make it louder because the plenum would allow more air to go through the car and therefore, you would have more air going through the exhaust and at a faster velocity. However, I am a newbie so I really don't know that much.

What about droning? Is there any with the Stillen Exhaust? I'm really interested in the droning because 75% of my driving in on the highway. I would love to have the Stillen Exaust, but I was told there is less droning with the Fuji Exhaust.

Old 02-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Any one who says there is droning with the stillen, must have either had the 1st generation, or is just talking out their ***. The new stillen exhaust has absolutely no droning what so ever. Put Test pipes on, then you have a different story.

Old 02-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by maung
Yes, it is. Not just on the highway, on the local street too at about 2000 to 3000 rpm.It is annoying to me.

Do you have the first or second generation? I heard the old one used to be really loud. If you are having droning all the time I am assuming you have the first generation correct?

Old 02-13-2006, 03:55 AM
Originally Posted by luongdmd
I experienced the same phenomenon when I installed the plenum spacer. It tamed my 1st gen Stillen noticeably. I had the Stillen on a long time before the plenum so I had a lot of experience with the sound prior to the spacer install. I posted about it here way back when.

Old 02-14-2006, 02:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the 2nd Gen Stillen exhaust on my 04 AT with a stillen charger, Z tube, and Crawford Plenum. Before breaking in the exhaust, it was at first kind of annoying. It sounded good, but it was missing a uniform sound thoughout the power band. It just sounded kinda loud. One of the attributes of my car was that it had totally silent mode, and WOT mode. Now, since I have the Plenum and the exhaust installed, it is just plain sexy as hell. I can hear a slight sucking whistle from the engine as I get on the gas, and the exhaust responds well with a deep powerful, QUALITY sound that definatly turns heads. It magnifies the stock sound and makes it deeper, helping it sound more like an expensive import than a cheap rocket.

All I have to say is that my car sounds pretty damn nice and I would recommend this exhaust to anyone. I would listen to both before you buy to make your own opinion

Here is another perspecitive of my exhaust. My girlfriend is just plain picky about stuff. If she doesn't like something, she will express it and stick by it till it changes. This last weekend, I went to visit her after getting the exhaust installed along with the plenum. I drove her around for awhile and finally asked her what she thought of the exhaust.

She responded that she really didn't even notice it! I was shocked that she would say such a thing as it was definately louder and faster, but she told me that its a good thing, because if she had noticed it, it would have been because she thought it was cheap and sounded annoying rather than quality. So in other words, she liked it and it didn't turn her off. IMO, that is a pretty big thing in terms of a universally good sounding exhaust.

Last edited by Driver Elite; 02-14-2006 at 02:22 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:46 AM
Mmhm...
does anyone haev a sound clip of the 3rd gen of the stillen exhuast? please?

heres a clip of my friends TD HKS..if anyones intrested in that sound.
youtube is down at the moment.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by GeeMan
I experienced the same phenomenon when I installed the plenum spacer. It tamed my 1st gen Stillen noticeably. I had the Stillen on a long time before the plenum so I had a lot of experience with the sound prior to the spacer install. I posted about it here way back when.
It doesn't have to be a plenum spacer right? It can be the whole crawford plenum that makes it quiter? Also, I'm a little confused, I thought there hasn't been a 3rd generation exhaust made? Only a 2nd generation.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Mmhm...
what gets better HP, the HKS or the Stillen... stillen correct?

Old 02-14-2006, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by DTrejo
It doesn't have to be a plenum spacer right? It can be the whole crawford plenum that makes it quiter? Also, I'm a little confused, I thought there hasn't been a 3rd generation exhaust made? Only a 2nd generation.
I can only speak from experience of the spacer and my 1st gen Stillen. I think Stillen exhaust is only on 2nd generation. Allegedly it is quieter than Gen 1. I've not seen performance comparisons between the two but Gen 1 had the most gains in a Sport Z mag exhaust shootout.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GeeMan
I can only speak from experience of the spacer and my 1st gen Stillen. I think Stillen exhaust is only on 2nd generation. Allegedly it is quieter than Gen 1. I've not seen performance comparisons between the two but Gen 1 had the most gains in a Sport Z mag exhaust shootout.

I believe you were correct, but since the introduction of the X pipe, the torque loss was helped while maintaining most of the hp.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:40 AM
A very long time ago I requested that posters identify which model G35--Coupe or Sedan--they have especially when discussing or commenting on exhaust systems.

Because this is not done by most in this thread I'm left confused by the comments. Here's the rundown on the Stillen G35/350Z cat-back exhaust systems.

1) Stillen's Coupe/350Z dual cat-back exhaust system's design has been the same from day one. An X-pipe, two resonators and two mufflers. There's no first or second generation! This exhaust sounds powerful, doesn't drone and isn't really that loud according to most people I've talked to.

2) Stillen recently brought out a "Silver Series" Single Path Cat-Back 3" Exhaust System for the Coupe/350Z. I have no experience with this system to date.

3) The original Stillen Sedan Exhaust System, commonly called first generation, is comprised of an X-pipe, twin resonators and one common dual in, dual out muffler. It fits only RWD Sedans. This system is a lot louder than the Coupe's dual system and is said to drone by some.

4) The Stillen Sedan All Trims (RWD & AWD) cat-back exhaust system is commonly called the "second generation" system. It is similar in design to the original system however the X-pipe is modified to fit the AWD transfer case. This is the system that is claimed to be quieter with no drone. I haven't had an opportunity to test this one but I'm looking forward to doing so.

DaveO

Old 04-13-2006, 02:28 AM
Tx DaveO,

I really needed these infos to help me understand the whole issue.

Old 04-13-2006, 05:45 PM
hey i have stillen headers and exauhst, its a great sound. I just got the stillen (off road) down pipes. So it will delete the catylitic converter. Does anyone know how illegal it is?
Thnx