Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

?? Have I gone to far ?? (E-Cutouts: Pix & Vids)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm also wondering if you have stock exhaust (so far) can u just get a Y-pipe and have only 1 e-cutout after the flex parts and have the same effect/tone with less disturbance in the flow?

Old 07-08-2006, 04:04 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by aleok
I'm also wondering if you have stock exhaust (so far) can u just get a Y-pipe and have only 1 e-cutout after the flex parts and have the same effect/tone with less disturbance in the flow?
bump..im wondering the same thing. doubt i will do this mod but there is a (VERY) slight chance that i will consider it

Old 07-11-2006, 02:18 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by ChicagoX
I wonder if your car is interpreting the extra engine noise as "knock" and retarding timing?

Racing domestics some years ago, I was bracket racing against a rail dragster. For those unfamiliar with the sport, you basically run as close to a predicted time as you can to win. You never know who will line up next to you, and this was a classic case of that.

With a several second head start (my car being understandibly slower), I was well down the track when the rail car came thundering up behind me. All of a sudden, it felt like the parachute had been pulled.....my car just "layed down" in dragspeak.

A quick datalog review showed 19 degrees of timing being pulled at around the 1000' mark.....about the same time I could hear the other car. My car "heard" the open-header car and triggered the knock sensor from THE OTHER LANE!!!

Very interesting, that rail car must have been booming!

Old 07-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Overglorified Altima
im doing this mod today

going in at 9am to get it done

btw im only doing 1 e-cutout tho

Old 07-29-2006, 05:12 PM
Overglorified Altima
installed

ill post a vid clip when i have a chance - probably on monday

Old 07-30-2006, 02:36 AM
Overglorified Altima
My Review (after one day)

Sounds a little raspy at WOT when the cutouts are closed. But for normal driving (and cutouts closed) it does enhance the stock echaust note - makes it a little deeper. I love it.

Sounds like a f*ing beast when the cutouts are open. Thats all i have to say for now. I dont really plan on actually driving with it open so i dont know how the power gain (or loss at the low end..) is (yet) but ill try it eventually. for now its just another toy to play with

Old 09-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just found this thread and ha a question,

if i wanted to do this and get pipes made an a cutout in my sideskirt for dual side exhaust out the butterfly anyone got an estimate on how much that woul cost me???
also, anyone got pics of the switch insie their car??

Old 09-17-2006, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by aHero4Eternity
My Review (after one day)

Sounds a little raspy at WOT when the cutouts are closed. But for normal driving (and cutouts closed) it does enhance the stock echaust note - makes it a little deeper. I love it.

Sounds like a f*ing beast when the cutouts are open. Thats all i have to say for now. I dont really plan on actually driving with it open so i dont know how the power gain (or loss at the low end..) is (yet) but ill try it eventually. for now its just another toy to play with
Buy your exhaust and give me your cut-outs! Also, you dont have a resonator anymore, so thats where your rasp is coming from when your cut outs are closed.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:45 AM
Thats hot.!! Good work man.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My buddy got it on his Golf 1.8T.. BIG difference when fully open.. great on FI.. not too sure bout NA

Old 09-18-2006, 10:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome mod, very unique!

Old 05-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Updates. I'd like more info, dyno numbers, etc.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Overglorified Altima
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Updates. I'd like more info, dyno numbers, etc.
i had an e-cutout from dmh performance a few months ago. i decided to get it after seeing this thread. however, i decided to go with just one - in the midpipe. actually, the e-cutout replaced the resonator in the midpipe.

back then, my car only had a 5/16" spacer with a k&n filter. eventually, i got HFCs - but i'll get to that later.

my impressions: overall, this mod was well worth the money to me at the time. i was not looking to get any performance out of this whatsoever. it just sounded cool at the time (which is all i wanted). as it turns out though, and as expected, it felt extremely sluggish when it was open - even during the daily driving conditions i could feel it. i can't comment too much on the top end as i never tracked my car and i'm not one to do push my car on the open roads.

imo, the e-cutout's motor was too slow to be effective. if it was faster, instantaneous, then i think it would be useful to leave it closed to begin with and open it up once you need that top end power. as you can see from the clips, it takes about 3-4 seconds to open/close.

ideally, this mod would work best if it opened quicker and the switch could be mounted on the shift **** or somewhere near it...so that you wouldn't need a third hand to push the button while steering/shifting.

note: this was crazy loud, definately not street legal. with the addition of my HFCs, it got even louder (along with the drone). but it sure as hell sounded mean...people were literally blown away when i went to meets.

Last edited by Calvin; 05-09-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:25 PM
i have one for sale mounted on the coupe midpipe. if anyone is interested

Old 05-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Overglorified Altima
Originally Posted by savefatkids
i have one for sale mounted on the coupe midpipe. if anyone is interested
good stuff...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ?? Have I gone to far ?? (E-Cutouts: Pix & Vids)