Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Show me your exhaust pics!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
The sound of the Stillen Muffler was driving me nuts so I cut it off and put on a pair of Magnaflow 2.5" stainless straight through 14"x8" oval offset mufflers. (Part # 14211) These Magnaflows are typically used on the Mustang Cobras so flow restriction is not an issue. The sound is clearly quieter, milder and smoother. There is also much less back pressure than the Stillen muffler had.

WOT, 4th gear @ redline, the Stillen muffler produced 2.8 psid just upstream of the muffler inlet.

WOT, 4th gear @ redline, the Magnaflow mufflers produced 0.19 psid upstream of the muffler inlet. A big improvement.

Less noise and less back pressure with the Magnaflows... Who would have though less noise and better performance could go together?

BTW, the Stillen tips are really nice. I cut them off and welded them onto the Magnaflows. The Stillen muffler went into the trash.

For specific muffler details see:
MAGNAFLOW 14211

I did a lot of research on the muffler and found a really good price. $75 each.

Tony

Attached Thumbnails Show me your exhaust pics!-muffler-pictures-014.jpg   Show me your exhaust pics!-muffler-pictures-015.jpg   Show me your exhaust pics!-muffler-pictures-018.jpg  

Last edited by Hydrazine; 06-10-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Here are some pics of the straight pipes I tried for a while.

The pressure drop was immeasurable. The sound was beautifuly loud. You could hear every detail of sound flowing out of the VQ. And I had to be very careful around the cops.

Man this stuff was Hell on Wheels. After a while the sound would chew your ears like Mike Tyson on PCP.

I'll have to try this once again but with the test pipes installed.

Attached Thumbnails Show me your exhaust pics!-flange.jpg   Show me your exhaust pics!-straight-pipes.jpg   Show me your exhaust pics!-straight-pipes-1.jpg   Show me your exhaust pics!-straight-pipes-2.jpg  

Last edited by Hydrazine; 06-10-2005 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking of doing something like this cause my wife now refuses to ride in the car. Does it get rid of the droning when cruising on the freeway? If you were to rate the loudness compared to the Stillen muffler - say 1 to 10 w/ Stillen being 10 - where would it fall? Also, what part # are the Magnaflows? I may just do the same to my Stillen exhaust.
Thanks for the great info Tony.

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
The sound of the Stillen Muffler was driving me nuts so I cut it off and put on a pair of Magnaflow 2.5" stainless straight through 14"x8" oval offset mufflers. These Magnaflows are typically used on the Mustang Cobras so flow restriction is not an issue. The sound is milder and smoother. There is also much less back pressure than the Stillen muffler had.

WOT, 4th gear @ redline, the Stillen muffler produced 2.8 psid just upstream of the muffler inlet.

WOT, 4th gear @ redline, the Magnaflow mufflers produced 0.19 psid upstream of the muffler inlet. A big improvement.

Less noise and less back pressure with the Magnaflows... Who would have though less noise and better performance could go together.

BTW, the Stillen tips are really nice. I cut them off and welded them onto the Magnaflows. The Stillen muffler went into the trash.

Tony

Old 06-10-2005, 10:15 PM
THE BATMOBILE
pro-1 with UT y pipe

Attached Thumbnails Show me your exhaust pics!-kit-007.jpg   Show me your exhaust pics!-my-exhaust.jpg   Show me your exhaust pics!-my-exhaust-3.jpg  
Old 06-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by kegels
I was thinking of doing something like this cause my wife now refuses to ride in the car. Does it get rid of the droning when cruising on the freeway? If you were to rate the loudness compared to the Stillen muffler - say 1 to 10 w/ Stillen being 10 - where would it fall? Also, what part # are the Magnaflows? I may just do the same to my Stillen exhaust.
Thanks for the great info Tony.
I've had a lot of people with Stillen exhausts ask me the same question. The Stillen muffler is painfull. Even if it was half as quiet the midrange/monochomatic/drone quality of sound is a turn off. (don't mean to offend any Stillen owners here. )

And yes, the magnaflow reduced the sound considerably. With Stillen being a 10 and Stock being a 1, I would rate the loudness a 5 and the drone a 4. And the difference isn't subtle either. You will notice it the moment you start the car. Although its not as quiet as stock, the difference is readily apparent and a welcome relief.

I also think the new sound Q is greatly improved over the Stillen. Deeper and mellower but with with a little zing to make it interesting. I've had several unsolicited, positive comments on the sound Q from people who were unfamiliar with the G35.

My wife is happier too!

MAGNAFLOW 14211

Last edited by Hydrazine; 06-10-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:16 PM
UT Y-PIPE, MID-PIPE W/ MAGNA FLOW RESIGNATOR, MAGNA FLOW MUFFLER

Old 06-11-2005, 03:27 PM
You the man Tony!
This is exactly what I was looking for. I found some on e-bay for $70 apiece. Will be putting them on as soon as I receive them. Again, a big thumbs up for this info!

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
I've had a lot of people with Stillen exhausts ask me the same question. The Stillen muffler is painfull. Even if it was half as quiet the midrange/monochomatic/drone quality of sound is a turn off. (don't mean to offend any Stillen owners here. )

And yes, the magnaflow reduced the sound considerably. With Stillen being a 10 and Stock being a 1, I would rate the loudness a 5 and the drone a 4. And the difference isn't subtle either. You will notice it the moment you start the car. Although its not as quiet as stock, the difference is readily apparent and a welcome relief.

I also think the new sound Q is greatly improved over the Stillen. Deeper and mellower but with with a little zing to make it interesting. I've had several unsolicited, positive comments on the sound Q from people who were unfamiliar with the G35.

My wife is happier too!

MAGNAFLOW 14211

Old 06-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Am I correct in saying that the "Stillen droning" seems to be more of a problem with the sedan than the coupe?

Old 06-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Injen SES

Last edited by SLVRG35; 10-24-2005 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:39 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The NEW Big Bertha system!

Old 06-12-2005, 03:28 AM
Polyester Pileup FTW!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ducatiguy
The NEW Big Bertha system!
LOL!

Old 06-12-2005, 10:00 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by TheCutter
Am I correct in saying that the "Stillen droning" seems to be more of a problem with the sedan than the coupe?
I don't know. A coup owner would have to answer that one.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:10 PM
TTT.

Question, do most of these exhausts have resonators in them or have those been eliminated? I know theres a lot more exhausts out there that haven't been posted yet. Just a few more and I'll show you guys the progress of the page

Old 06-13-2005, 10:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tanabe from a 350z

Attached Thumbnails Show me your exhaust pics!-img_1655.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Show me your exhaust pics!