Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Show me your exhaust pics!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one of the nicest looking exhaust and nice M5 too!!!

Old 06-21-2005, 08:46 PM
thanks

Old 06-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
The sound of the Stillen Muffler was driving me nuts so I cut it off and put on a pair of Magnaflow 2.5" stainless straight through 14"x8" oval offset mufflers. (Part # 14211) These Magnaflows are typically used on the Mustang Cobras so flow restriction is not an issue. The sound is clearly quieter, milder and smoother. There is also much less back pressure than the Stillen muffler had.

WOT, 4th gear @ redline, the Stillen muffler produced 2.8 psid just upstream of the muffler inlet.

WOT, 4th gear @ redline, the Magnaflow mufflers produced 0.19 psid upstream of the muffler inlet. A big improvement.

Less noise and less back pressure with the Magnaflows... Who would have though less noise and better performance could go together?

BTW, the Stillen tips are really nice. I cut them off and welded them onto the Magnaflows. The Stillen muffler went into the trash.

For specific muffler details see:
MAGNAFLOW 14211

I did a lot of research on the muffler and found a really good price. $75 each.

Tony
Tony,

This is a great find! I think if I go for the Cats I'll seriously consider it. For now the new Stillen Catback hasn't gotten on my nerves yet.

Attached Thumbnails Show me your exhaust pics!-p6080075.jpg  
Old 06-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Xman
Tony,

This is a great find! I think if I go for the Cats I'll seriously consider it. For now the new Stillen Catback hasn't gotten on my nerves yet.
From what I've heard, the new Stillen Sedan Catback is much improved on the sound. If you have the new Stillen design, you may not need to bother.

Old 06-22-2005, 10:44 PM
The new Stillen sound is great. But if I load the car up with the fam and luggage I predict nervous breakdown after a long vacation drive (lol). What's most impressive to me is your pressure data.

Old 06-22-2005, 11:34 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Xman
The new Stillen sound is great. But if I load the car up with the fam and luggage I predict nervous breakdown after a long vacation drive (lol). What's most impressive to me is your pressure data.
Who knows! Did they fix that too with the new muffler? Its certertainly possible.

Old 06-23-2005, 12:17 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Injen

Attached Thumbnails Show me your exhaust pics!-6.jpg  
Old 06-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Thumbs up

Here are the pictures of my exhaust system.

Attached Thumbnails Show me your exhaust pics!-daveo-s-stillen-exhaust-1.jpg   Show me your exhaust pics!-daveo-s-stillen-sedan-exhaust.jpg  

Last edited by DaveO; 11-25-2005 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Been lurking here for a few months and decided to join in...

Here's a pic of my recently completed 2.25" custom true-dual exhaust on my Infiniti FX35 (same engine as the G35). Specs are:

2- 6" round MagnaFlow mufflers
2 - 4" round MagnaFlow mufflers (used as resonators)
MagnaFlow Tru-X crossover
Crush-bent aluminized steel tubing

Sound is an improvement over stock. However, I needed to put in the resonators due to some head-splitting droning at 1800-2000K rpms. Without the resonators I felt improvement in performance but that went away after the resonators were put in... I really want to get rid of the resonators but don't want the droning to come back...any advice?

Thinking now about upgrading to mandrel-bent tubing, especially in the front.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 07-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Wow! Looks like you did a really good job there. Almost looks like a Injen exhaust system.

What sort of performance differences did you note when you put in/take out the resonators? Is the difference obvious? Dynos?

If you can confirm the performance difference, try moving the resonators away from the x pipe and closer to the mufflers.

You can also try using much larger oval mufflers.

Tony

Old 07-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by GeoFX
Been lurking here for a few months and decided to join in...

Here's a pic of my recently completed 2.25" custom true-dual exhaust on my Infiniti FX35 (same engine as the G35). Specs are:

2- 6" round MagnaFlow mufflers
2 - 4" round MagnaFlow mufflers (used as resonators)
MagnaFlow Tru-X crossover
Crush-bent aluminized steel tubing

Sound is an improvement over stock. However, I needed to put in the resonators due to some head-splitting droning at 1800-2000K rpms. Without the resonators I felt improvement in performance but that went away after the resonators were put in... I really want to get rid of the resonators but don't want the droning to come back...any advice?

Thinking now about upgrading to mandrel-bent tubing, especially in the front.

Any advice would be appreciated.
how much did you spend?

Old 07-02-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Wow! Looks like you did a really good job there. Almost looks like a Injen exhaust system.

What sort of performance differences did you note when you put in/take out the resonators? Is the difference obvious? Dynos?

If you can confirm the performance difference, try moving the resonators away from the x pipe and closer to the mufflers.

You can also try using much larger oval mufflers.

Tony
Thanks. The performance differences were based on Gtech 0-60 times between my AWD FX (before and after exhaust) and a stock RWD FX35. There was roughly a .60 sec difference in the times that was narrowed to around .21 after mods. Once I put the resonators on, the gap grew larger again (back to around .50 secs). I think I lost at least .30 secs overall with the resonators if not more.

No dynos to confirm though. I do realize this isn't the most accurate way of judging performace but it does give me a ballpark performace measurement.

I was thinking of moving the X-pipe closer to the engine and replacing the front section (before the X) with mandrel-bent tubing. Think that will help?

Here's a shot of the current X position - I want to move it at least another 8-12" forward.

If I switched to 14" long 5" x 8" ovals, would I still need the resonators? How much quieter are they vs. 6" rounds (14" long)?

Originally Posted by ryanwiggum
how much did you spend?
About $500.

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Exclamation

Just for sihts and giggles, try taking the "X" pipe out all together. Or try an "H" pipe. The drone is caused by a resonance of the piping at a certain frequency. If you change the piping, you change the frequency.

Old 07-03-2005, 12:48 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by GeoFX
Thanks. The performance differences were based on Gtech 0-60 times between my AWD FX (before and after exhaust) and a stock RWD FX35. There was roughly a .60 sec difference in the times that was narrowed to around .21 after mods. Once I put the resonators on, the gap grew larger again (back to around .50 secs). I think I lost at least .30 secs overall with the resonators if not more.

No dynos to confirm though. I do realize this isn't the most accurate way of judging performace but it does give me a ballpark performace measurement.

I was thinking of moving the X-pipe closer to the engine and replacing the front section (before the X) with mandrel-bent tubing. Think that will help?

Here's a shot of the current X position - I want to move it at least another 8-12" forward.

If I switched to 14" long 5" x 8" ovals, would I still need the resonators? How much quieter are they vs. 6" rounds (14" long)?

About $500.

Thanks!

Mandrel bent tubing will help but it looks like you otherwise have good construction. Moving the X-pipe closer to the engine will help HP but its hard to say what it would do to the sound.

It looks like you have a lot of room under there for larger mufflers. Try that first. And with a little creativity, it may be possible to use the current mufflers as your resonators and use larger mufflers after them.

Old 07-05-2005, 05:02 AM
OK, finally got a chance to add the pics. Still need A LOT more. Please post them if you have some!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Show me your exhaust pics!