Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

installed Injen CAI.first impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 12:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by savefatkids
the aemm is pretty much the same.. where are u noticing the gains? maby i just cant really feel it since its such a small gain
The gains aren't earth shattering. The gain's I've noticed have been purely from driving experience. I can chirp the tires in the 3 to 4 gear change, where before I couldn't. The small gain is felt in the high end anyway. I don't feel any change in the low end. Also a lot of experiences with intakes and power gains are the imagination of the driver. Many people feel since the car is louder and they spent 250 + shipping, they have gained and can feel 5 hp.

In general intake is not a mod that is done for hp gains. Intake, esp on our cars, is mainly done to help with the sound of the car.

Hooman

Old 09-20-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by Garytee1411
I picked up the 5AT injen CAI for my 2003 this week. However, got no instructions how to install. Is it difficult? Where can I get instructions with pics, etc.? One other question - are the Injen's (like I have) with the filter near the bottom of the car better? I've seen one (can't remember which it was - help if you know) that the filter is up at the top near the hood. Which is that and which is better lower or higher under the hood? Why?

Thanks

The installation of the CAI....I didn't have any instructions, but then again I've done a lot of work on cars from rebuilds, to brakes, to suspensions. On a difficulty rating out of 10 (10 being impossible) I'd give this a 3. There are write-ups on the board for other CAI's but they install the same way.

As for CAI and short ram intakes, it depends. There are mixed reviews on the boards as to which work better and give you better performance. As I said above, intakes don't add too much performance, and the main thing is looks and sound.

If you live in a really rainy area where you get high (half way above your wheel) flooding, you may not want to get a CAI. The CAI has it's filter lower and may injest water.

If you live in a really hot and humid area you will want to avoid a short ram as it will injest hot air from your engine bay and actually cause a decrease in performace. This can be rememedied if you get a heat shield (sheilds the hot air away from the intake).

I've had CAI in my past car (e36 m3) and it did well.

Use the search function though, there are PLENTY of writeups discussing intakes.

Hooman

Old 09-20-2005, 12:58 AM
So saying that intakes cause minimal performance if not any, but just pure sound. then is the injen equivalent to the ztube+popcharge combo, since intakes boost a small amount of HP and is mainly there for the sound, ?

Old 09-20-2005, 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by mrjonang
So saying that intakes cause minimal performance if not any, but just pure sound. then is the injen equivalent to the ztube+popcharge combo, since intakes boost a small amount of HP and is mainly there for the sound, ?

yes and no. See the popcharger, is the same as the filter that is on the end of the Injen intake. So that part is the same.

The z-tube is the stock intake tube from a 350z. This is a short ram intake tube, meaning it sits in your engine bay. The Injen tube is a CAI (Cold Air Intake) and runs to the bumper where the air is colder. Many people here prefer the z-tube because it's closer to stock than the CAI method.

I did the CAI because I got it for free so I put it on. I was considering buying the z-tube because it's cheaper.

Again...the search function is your friend.

Hooman

Old 09-20-2005, 01:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hooman6MT
I can chirp the tires in the 3 to 4 gear change, where before I couldn't.
Hooman

Most people (experience 6mt drivers) can do this stock.... and the intake's increase isn't enough to all of a sudden make you chirp 3-4th.... I think your just more "excited" in your driving honestly. I personally had no problem getting 3-4 to chirp (especially powershifting) since stock. However, the Injen is a good system. That being said, congradulations on not being stock anymore. Just wait till ya do some of the better bolt ons (plenum, cats/test pipes, headers and especially the ECU) you'll really feel the car come alive then.

Old 10-27-2005, 09:40 PM
so you have a choice between a CAI and then a ztube + popcharger? but you cant have a ztube + CAI?

Old 10-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Z tube = Short tube between engine and filter

CAI = Long tube between engine and filter

You can't have 2 tubes hooked up your engine, now can you?

Old 10-27-2005, 09:57 PM
Swerving and Weaving
Originally Posted by hopang
so you have a choice between a CAI and then a ztube + popcharger? but you cant have a ztube + CAI?
z-tube = short ram intake, ends where current air box is now

CAI = ...cold air intake, ends in the bottom of your front bumper.

I did this mod on my 5AT before doing the TT kit. Definately noticed a sound gain and gained 1/10th of a sec at the track. Went from a stock 14.4 in 90 degree heat to a 14.1 in 60 degree weather with the CAI. Assuming temp drops = better performance this stands to be correct.

One thing i did notice though, was with the CAI and the greedy evo2 cat-back exhaust i felt like i was losing power. I may have gained some top end but definately lost tq in the low end. Just know what mods give you what and dont assume that a supposed 10 hp from the CAI and a supposed 10 hp gain from the exhaust = 20 new aquired hp.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:07 PM
what is the best choice tho ztube/K&n or cai..

Old 04-21-2006, 01:52 PM
I've heard that changing the intake in our cars regardless is a good idea since it comes with that filter which supposedly stopped us (2003-04) from getting the 287hp that the Z's had, so any intake was supposed to get you the extra 7 plus whatever it did, or am i just talking out of my ***?

Old 04-23-2006, 01:58 AM
you wont get 7 hp from an intake in a g35, you will get a hell of sound boost

Old 04-23-2006, 02:31 AM
i love the hiss

Old 04-23-2006, 02:43 AM
is the Hissing sound any different from a 6MT and an AUTO?

Old 04-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by TAR82
is the Hissing sound any different from a 6MT and an AUTO?
there shouldnt be a difference at all

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: installed Injen CAI.first impressions