Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

installed Injen CAI.first impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
installed Injen CAI.first impressions

Hey guys,

So I just installed a injen CAI for a Auto on my MT. There was not any fitment issues, and I have had no problems with the car shutting off or any other problems. I did need to move it around and push and pull, but it's in there pretty snug. The only thing is the MAF is near the AC line, but I have covered that in foam, I don't think it'll will be a problem

Now on to performance. There was slight improvement in top end. I was never able to chirp the tires in 3rd to 4th, and now I can. But nothing too major, the difference was in the sound.

Sound wise, the car is overall a little louder. The break down is as follows:

1-3.5k No Change
3.5-5.5 Slightly louder as the rpm range gets higher
5.5-redline Pure beast, still brings a smile to my face.

There is also a hissing sound that sounds like a turbo spooling. In the 2 days I've had the intake on, I've had 2 people say my car sounded "hawt" (high schoolers that heard me blow by them on the street), and 1 person ask what kind of turbo I'm running. The hissing sound is ok for now, but I don't think it should be there. I will do some further investigation to find out if it's normal or not...the concensus on this board is mixed.

Overall impression is good. The performance does seem to have picked up a little in the higher RPM range, and the sound is louder, but mainly from 5.5k an on. The thing I like about it the most is, if I drive conservative you'd never known I had a CAI, but when I get on it at WOT it get's loud.

I have included some pics but excuse the quality they are from my camera phone.

Hooman

Old 09-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice..i installed my aem and didnt notice any changes but thats with a 5at..

Old 09-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Looks good Hooman...

My intake hisses too, at about 3k RPM or so. Also, my previous car with an intake hissed at lower RPM's (Jeep), so to me it's normal. Keep an eye on your MPG and see if it got a little better or not, and remember to recharge the filter every couple thousand miles.

Enjoy it!

Old 09-19-2005, 03:14 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Really fatkids?

I have an injen on my 5at sedan, and I notice most of the things Hooman commented on. I'm not too familiar with AEM model though.

Old 09-19-2005, 03:14 PM
the hissing noise is normal .... no need to worry

Old 09-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Congrats on the new mod - I had the same first impressions. That whistling sound is very normal. Good luck with the G

Attached Thumbnails installed Injen CAI.first impressions-dsc02097.jpg  
Old 09-19-2005, 03:22 PM
The hissing is the open element pulling in air.

Old 09-19-2005, 03:49 PM
Nice.

But just be prepared to slowly but surely removing the following from your sig as the mod bug makes its way through your system.

Stock and that's the way I like it.

Old 09-19-2005, 03:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Very nice-- If you happen to hate it, pack it up and ship it to me =) I'm in dire need of an AT one =P

Old 09-19-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by heeb
Nice.

But just be prepared to slowly but surely removing the following from your sig as the mod bug makes its way through your system.

Stock and that's the way I like it.

haha...yes i will need to change that.

I'm wearing 2 jackets, drinking plenty of orange juice, and staying warm...I can't afford to get the mod bug. However that being said after the intake install, I've started research on the plenum, an exhaust, springs...

Help!

Hooman

Old 09-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by 007G35
The hissing is the open element pulling in air.
That's what I figured...just wanted to make sure I didn't leave anything untightened. Like I said...the hissing is kinda cool, but I can see it getting annoying.

Hooman

Old 09-19-2005, 11:21 PM
I picked up the 5AT injen CAI for my 2003 this week. However, got no instructions how to install. Is it difficult? Where can I get instructions with pics, etc.? One other question - are the Injen's (like I have) with the filter near the bottom of the car better? I've seen one (can't remember which it was - help if you know) that the filter is up at the top near the hood. Which is that and which is better lower or higher under the hood? Why?

Thanks

Old 09-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Hooman6MT
Hey guys,

So I just installed a injen CAI for a Auto on my MT. There was not any fitment issues, and I have had no problems with the car shutting off or any other problems. I did need to move it around and push and pull, but it's in there pretty snug. The only thing is the MAF is near the AC line, but I have covered that in foam, I don't think it'll will be a problem

Now on to performance. There was slight improvement in top end. I was never able to chirp the tires in 3rd to 4th, and now I can. But nothing too major, the difference was in the sound.

Sound wise, the car is overall a little louder. The break down is as follows:

1-3.5k No Change
3.5-5.5 Slightly louder as the rpm range gets higher
5.5-redline Pure beast, still brings a smile to my face.

There is also a hissing sound that sounds like a turbo spooling. In the 2 days I've had the intake on, I've had 2 people say my car sounded "hawt" (high schoolers that heard me blow by them on the street), and 1 person ask what kind of turbo I'm running. The hissing sound is ok for now, but I don't think it should be there. I will do some further investigation to find out if it's normal or not...the concensus on this board is mixed.

Overall impression is good. The performance does seem to have picked up a little in the higher RPM range, and the sound is louder, but mainly from 5.5k an on. The thing I like about it the most is, if I drive conservative you'd never known I had a CAI, but when I get on it at WOT it get's loud.

Hooman
I just installed my Injen CAI about 300 miles ago. I've experienced the same gains and 'hissing' sound that you have mentioned. I love it!

Old 09-20-2005, 12:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm so jealous of all of you that have one, I want one so bad-- Just dont quite have the 250 + shippin =( =(

Old 09-20-2005, 12:03 AM
the aemm is pretty much the same.. where are u noticing the gains? maby i just cant really feel it since its such a small gain

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: installed Injen CAI.first impressions