Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

installed Injen CAI.first impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just install my Injen CAI, I thought it's pretty odd how the filter sits at the bottom like that (considering our car is pretty low already.)
The hissing sound is normal, it's the sound of air being sucking in.

Old 04-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ranks44
Congrats on the new mod - I had the same first impressions. That whistling sound is very normal. Good luck with the G
Very normal and freakin cool as hell

My intake is loud as hell, but I have the stillen airbox-- I couldn't justify having my intake down there.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:16 PM
Jtrain... what are you using for the intake tube? Z-tube or stock or something else. Did it take long for your stillen to be loud or was it loud as soon as install?

I just put on my stillen and frankly, its a bit on the quieter side for me. I expect it for normal driving, but WOT sounds not as aggressive as I would expect. I did come from the HKS mushroom style intakes in my older cars which sounded mean as hell when WOT, much better than the regular cone styles in terms of sound IMO.

My main purpose for intakes:

-Increase sound when pushed hard
-Increase MPG (anything will help, even it is <1 MPG lol ).
-any performance gains or placebo effects welcome.

After i settle down a bit w/ the new intake, i'm going to see if MPG's are affected in my own real world driving.

Old 04-25-2006, 01:46 AM
after you put those, does d dealer take off the warranty?

Old 04-25-2006, 02:23 AM
M & M. not unless it can be directly linked to the problem. But the dealer won't tell you that... they'll use any excuse in and off the books. So just be knowledgeable about your rights, and you have the power over them.

Old 04-25-2006, 07:11 PM
guys i live in brooklyn new york i just orderd a injen cai

can anyone fill me in with details of recharging my filter...... also should i cut the pipe and make it short ram

im scared to hydrolock

does a bypass valve really work or is it a myth..

how about those injen hydro shields

Old 04-25-2006, 09:58 PM
^ man aren't you the one who thought about buying $45 CAI from ebay? :P glad that you are willing to spend more for decent product. I have injen CAI, and and located in LI, NY "hydro" issue should be fine. And bypass valve, humm.. more of the air will probrably gets re-direct from it. Last, do not CUT anything that is well enginnered (according to INJEN).

Old 04-25-2006, 10:57 PM
Omg! iam sooo excited!!! -____-"
umm how load is the hissing sound? will i be able to hear it from inside?

Old 04-26-2006, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by tmac911

yeah i wanna get an INJEN CAI too, but only for the cool hissing sound, how loud is it?

Old 04-26-2006, 03:50 AM
SDG
I noticed some bogus info. Not all CAI's are so long and reach all the way to the bumper. I got the Stillen CAI btw, which fits nicely in the engine compartment. I looked into intakes for a while. I was hooked on getting the NISMO CAI, since its nissan and its cold air which is better than short ram right? Wrong, at least thats the conclusion I came to. The ideal intake is the shorter one. The miniscule temperature difference of the air compared to the risks of an intake filter that hangs around near the ground are not worth it. Besides, the short ram should give you more HP gains anyway. Also the hot engine bay which you are trying to avoid with the CAI will heat up your intake section close to the motor and also the air in it, negating gains from the formerly 'cold' air.

All in all it probably adds up to one big whoop! Just about any aftermarket intake would be pretty close in performance considering the amount of gain you could ever expect. Everyone talks bad about the $50 ebay intakes but nobody says sh*t if you get a $30 K&N so dont believe anybody, do your own research. I get my info from my genius mechanic and his racing crew and Google.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:18 AM
Premier Member

Don't use the Hydro Shield... It's so restrictive ! ! ! In the winter take off the second tube and make it into a short ram (Buy a smaller filter that fits the MAF sensor tube)... I tested the Hydro Shield at the track and I was getting worse times than i did stock...
Stock- 14.4
Injen Intake- 14.0
Injen intake with Hydro Shield- 14.7
Short ram set up with the Injen tube and Weapon-R filter- 14.1
I have an 05 6mt... I love the injen intake, but it's a B!tCH to clean the filter.... I went in and took my dremel tool and shaved off pieces so i can pull out the filter... Now it's much easier to clean...

Old 04-26-2006, 04:20 PM
thanx norcal

so i should not get a hydro shield?

i am really scared to hydrolock i was thinking of making it short ram like trupla8 i think he just left out the long tube and hooked on the filter. .. is that a bad idea?

also im not gonna get the hydro shield now..thanx for the info but i still want a bypass valve.. is that cool?

also why cant i use the injen filter?

Old 04-26-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by tmac911

You can't really hear it from inside the car but when your windows are down you can really hear it for sure.. The turbo sounding whistle on my Injen intake is extremely noticeable from the exterior.. I had a friend drive it up and down the street so I could hear what the car was like on the outside and it was siiicckkkk... This is the first import car I have ever owned and I thought their was no better sound then a V8 Mustang but after owning this car I will probably never buy another American sports car again...