Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)
View Poll Results: NISMO CAI Vs. INJEN CAI ???
NISMO Cold Air Intake
37.35%
INJEN Cold Air Intake
62.65%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

NISMO CAI Vs. INJEN CAI !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
I'm not sure what your point is in this statement.........
CAI is a waste of money, loses bottom end torque and when it rains you can risk hyrdo locking your motor(engine sucking up water) the best dyno numbers I have seen are all with a z tube with the combination of either a k&n drop in filter, pop charger system, or stillen air box with filter.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DaveB

Each group claims their mod (A, B, C) works because the "data" supports it and the other groups dispute it......yet no one ever posts up any data to show this (dynos, real 1/4 miles). It's all heresay. It's just a bad habit that will never seem to be broken on this site because no one seeks the truth and are just too willing to trust the butt-dyno of a complete stranger.

Classic G35driver.com.....
Actually if you do a search you might find the data you requested. It has been tested many times.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:10 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by GFN-G35
the injen doesnt make you lose horsepower!

there are 100 dynos all around that prove it gains hp

just do a search

i have it and i love it

No actually please show me this data. I have seen the data that shows the loss of hp but not the gain.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:20 PM
Premier Member

1) G-Tech runs are only good for before a mod then after a mod to see how much quicker or slower the car got. It is a good way to test the car for a mod. But you can't use it to compare to actual track times.

2) The way DaveO does the dyno testing pulls a lot of the variables out from coolant temps, to air intake temps, to ambient temps. Also running the car a bit to get all the fluids going. Usually when this is done, the cars dyno within 1-2 hp and TQ of each run. You have not experienced this type of dyno procedure DaveB. All you have done is pull up to the dyno either HOT or COLD and run the car without checking all these items to make sure they meet the extra same conditions as before.

3) He was part of the maxima club before your time DaveB. He had a VQ Maxima and ran many tests as well on it as well. He was part of the club before maxima.org even existed. I believe back in Evans days.

4) What applies to a G35 also applies to any other VQ motor. Yes but only to a point. The VQ might be similar, but the car is different. The way the intake runners are and exhaust is different. The way the car handles the power, and so on is different. So the car will act differently to each thing you do to the engine. This is why we have said it many times. The G35 is not a Maxima and some of the data you have posted in the past will not work on a G35 like you think it does.

Daveb, you do have your good points and bad points in information. But when it comes to the G35, you really need to learn from the veterans on this site like DaveO. He is well respected and has proven time after time what mods do what to this car. You on the other hand have not. You have just given your opinion as a fact with nothing backing it.

If you want people to believe you like DaveO, please post your data sheets and all the detail information that backs your claims.

I guess I'm of the belief that G-Tech runs aren't truely definitive proof. I've used G-Techs at the track and it's my opinion they're a POS. The track's Compulink says 14.3-14.4@99mph and the G-tech would say 14.0-14.2@102mph. I know the reason the traps are off, but ETs are way too optimistic. The ETs also varied wildly depending on how violent the launch was.

As for dynos, they're a good test. People just need to be aware that VQ's can show a 3-5 whp/wtq differences throughout the powerbands on back to back runs with no changes to the car as personnally witnessed on a ton of Maximas/Altimas and a friend's 03 G35. In the wrong hands, that 3-5whp/wtq change can be incorrectly chaulked up to "mod X made 5whp/wtq more than stock!!!!". Things need to be averaged before making claims. A Stillen intake could possibly make 6 whp above 6000rpms, but it may loose 5whp from 3000-5500rpms. On paper the car has more power, but on a track it will probably be slower.

Just curious (doubt I'll get a response), how do you have 8+ years of VQ experience? The VQ was introduced to the global market in 1995 as a 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, and 3.0 turbo. In the US, we only got the VQ30 and it remained solely a Maxima engine until it was offered as a 3.5 in the Pathfinder derived trucks and then the 3rd gen Altima and 5th gen Maxima in 02. It showed up in RWD passenger cars in 03 with intro of FM platform. The only differences between the FWD VQ35 and non-REVup RWD VQ35 are the intake/exhaust manifolds, ECU programming, and the accessory layout. They're the same block, heads, cams, etc and the overall architure and flow bench characteristics are very close to the orginal 1st gen VQs. It's largely a modular engine and it makes sense because Nissan, like most companies, is hell bent on parts bin sharing. Hell, the VQ30 heads simply bolt up to 3.5 block. On the dyno, the RWD 03-04 VQ35 with the better flowing intake manifold and tubular style exhaust manifolds typically see 230whp@6200rpms on a Dynojet. The FWD VQ35 sees 215whp@5900rpms. Both hit fuel cut at 6,600 and the RWD VQs typically hold on to more power as the rpms hang above 6000rpms. In the lower rpms, the powerbands are bascially identical.

The points to this are:

A) You must have owned a Maxima if you truely do have more than 4 years VQ experience That is of course assuming you weren't an employee of Nissan's Formula race program back in the early 1990s.

II) What applies to the g35, can very much apply to bascially any other VQ motor.

Sect C, subpart II.a) The G35 does not possess magical powers. It's VQ35 doesn't not behave wildly different from any other VQ on the market as some would like to believe. I've data logged my G and I see nothing special happening. It looks exactly like any other VQ data I've logged. It behaves the same in the heat, cold, humid air, etc. Same goes for it's track performance. If there's anything special about the RWD VQ35 in the FM chassis over the FWD VQ35s, it's the intake and exhaust manifolds. The RWD VQ fixed plane intake manifold and tubular exhaust manifolds have better flow characteristics than the variable capacity intake manifold and cast log-style exhaust manifolds.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:18 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_TX
No actually please show me this data. I have seen the data that shows the loss of hp but not the gain.
Why don't you show us all this "data" oh Wise One. It works both ways, Home Slice.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:40 AM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
I have no "data", but I can assure you that I lost low-end power with my AEM intake. The minute I took it off, the power seemed to return to normal.

Maybe the CAI makes sense if you plan on using the full power of your car while driving 135+, but there is no benefit in city driving in my opinion.

Furthermore, ask Doug at Crawford Z about his take on cold air intakes. He has plenty of dynos that show losses in power. The AEM (in his opinion) is one of the worst out there. On the phone, he told me that he's seen in upwards of 9hp being lost while using that intake.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:43 AM
1) G-Tech runs are only good for before a mod then after a mod to see how much quicker or slower the car got. It is a good way to test the car for a mod. But you can't use it to compare to actual track times.
Shame on you. You should know better. I can take a G-Tech and show you my car running a 5.2 0-60 and then a 5.9 0-60 and tell you the only mod was clapping my hands. G-Techs are crap.

2) The way DaveO does the dyno testing pulls a lot of the variables out from coolant temps, to air intake temps, to ambient temps. Also running the car a bit to get all the fluids going. Usually when this is done, the cars dyno within 1-2 hp and TQ of each run. You have not experienced this type of dyno procedure DaveB. All you have done is pull up to the dyno either HOT or COLD and run the car without checking all these items to make sure they meet the extra same conditions as before.
Blah. Pull up to the dyno shop, let the car cool off for 20 minutes, strap in, make a pass, turn car off with the fan blowing on the engine, let sit for 10 minutes, make another pass, repeat, and so on. Why in the world does the G35 require so much more pampering than any other car on the dyno? The extent people go to get these cars "running" on the dyno is flat out funny. Yes, the coolant, tranny fluid, etc should be warmed to operational level before making a dyno or 1/4 mile pass. That's a given. My G has ran within .04 seconds and .2mph on multiple passes whether hot lapped or left to cool for 30 minutes. Point being, the car was making the same exact power on all the runs and without any badysitting.

3) He was part of the maxima club before your time DaveB. He had a VQ Maxima and ran many tests as well on it as well. He was part of the club before maxima.org even existed. I believe back in Evans days.
Yeah, I remember those days. I was there (1997). White listing forum. Evan, Andy B, you, etc plus the multiple times you were banned from the Org.

The way the car handles the power, and so on is different. So the car will act differently to each thing you do to the engine. This is why we have said it many times. The G35 is not a Maxima and some of the data you have posted in the past will not work on a G35 like you think it does.
Yes, a Maxima is not a G35. Mod wise, they all perform basically the same save for obvious ones like plenums, spacers, and certain exhaust mods. I've seen the G/Z dynos. I've seen the G/Z 1/4 miles. That's where I get my "proof".

Old 10-28-2005, 12:58 AM
I have no "data", but I can assure you that I lost low-end power with my AEM intake. The minute I took it off, the power seemed to return to normal.

Maybe the CAI makes sense if you plan on using the full power of your car while driving 135+, but there is no benefit in city driving in my opinion.

Furthermore, ask Doug at Crawford Z about his take on cold air intakes. He has plenty of dynos that show losses in power. The AEM (in his opinion) is one of the worst out there. On the phone, he told me that he's seen in upwards of 9hp being lost while using that intake.
It's simple really. It's all about the laminar flow and intake pulses of the piping in relation to those of the intake manifold and the piping length. The CAI's typically add those anti-hydolock valves too which completely take away the pressurization effect of the OEM intake setup because the valves aren't air tight and leak pressure. Add all this up and you've got a disrupted air flow. The CAI looks cool, but the truth is the stock intake is perfectly fine. It's the correct length, the box/piping can flow more air than an NA VQ35 could ever hope to devour. That soft lowend you felt was turbulent air in the intake system causing erratic MAF readings and disrupting the natural flow characteristics of the intake manifold. Another thing to note is most CAIs put the filters in areas with little air movement whereas the stock inlet locations are centered right in high pressure frontal areas. At speed, there is a ramming effect. With a CAI, you loose that effect. There's a good reason why nearly every performance based car (Benz, Vette, BMW, Audi) pull air from the upper front hood and grill.

Over the span of 5 years, I tried every intake under the sun on my old VQ30. and with TONS of 1/4 mile passes. The end result was a stock "hacked" airbox with a KN panel filter typically saw .14 quicker ETs and 1.5mph faster traps over the true CAIs and about .1 and 1mph faster than any other style intake (Popcharger, HKS foam, POP with stock resonator, etc). Yeah, I'm a nut for numbers. I've got all this stuff in Excel along with a stack of 200 time slips.

Old 10-28-2005, 02:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont waste your money on all that jazz. Spend it on the outside until its done, then start working on the inside. Everyone your drive by see's your car, but they dont see whats under your hood.

Old 10-28-2005, 08:29 AM
Premier Member

Why don't you show us all this "data" oh Wise One. It works both ways, Home Slice.

Why should I when its on this forum if you do a search. I asked you first. Until you prove your data you need to stop spewing bs.

Old 10-28-2005, 08:33 AM
Premier Member

1) Gtech's are good for what they are used for. Like I saidi above. You can't argue that. If you are, then you have no clue.

2) Yeah go ahead, pull the car on the dyno like you say, and you will have results that are so varied its unreal. That is where your comment comes in that Dynos might show a 5 hp swing. The way YOU DO IT. I was only banned once.

3) And btw, I owned MAXIMA.ORG after the orginal owner for over a year till my life was more important than a forum.

4) If they perform just the same, show me these results from the mods to compare? Because they don't and you can't prove your so called "fact". Dave, please give it up. You don't know as much as you think you do about this car.

Shame on you. You should know better. I can take a G-Tech and show you my car running a 5.2 0-60 and then a 5.9 0-60 and tell you the only mod was clapping my hands. G-Techs are crap.

Blah. Pull up to the dyno shop, let the car cool off for 20 minutes, strap in, make a pass, turn car off with the fan blowing on the engine, let sit for 10 minutes, make another pass, repeat, and so on. Why in the world does the G35 require so much more pampering than any other car on the dyno? The extent people go to get these cars "running" on the dyno is flat out funny. Yes, the coolant, tranny fluid, etc should be warmed to operational level before making a dyno or 1/4 mile pass. That's a given. My G has ran within .04 seconds and .2mph on multiple passes whether hot lapped or left to cool for 30 minutes. Point being, the car was making the same exact power on all the runs and without any badysitting.

Yeah, I remember those days. I was there (1997). White listing forum. Evan, Andy B, you, etc plus the multiple times you were banned from the Org.

Yes, a Maxima is not a G35. Mod wise, they all perform basically the same save for obvious ones like plenums, spacers, and certain exhaust mods. I've seen the G/Z dynos. I've seen the G/Z 1/4 miles. That's where I get my "proof".

Old 10-28-2005, 08:35 AM
Premier Member

And this is why the Stillen CAI made the most power without loosing some. It is a box like the factory one without all the rough cuts, etc the factory puts in them. It's smooth, has a good heat shield, and you gain power. Yes it has been proven on dynos and 1/4 tests. Do a search.

It's simple really. It's all about the laminar flow and intake pulses of the piping in relation to those of the intake manifold and the piping length. The CAI's typically add those anti-hydolock valves too which completely take away the pressurization effect of the OEM intake setup because the valves aren't air tight and leak pressure. Add all this up and you've got a disrupted air flow. The CAI looks cool, but the truth is the stock intake is perfectly fine. It's the correct length, the box/piping can flow more air than an NA VQ35 could ever hope to devour. That soft lowend you felt was turbulent air in the intake system causing erratic MAF readings and disrupting the natural flow characteristics of the intake manifold. Another thing to note is most CAIs put the filters in areas with little air movement whereas the stock inlet locations are centered right in high pressure frontal areas. At speed, there is a ramming effect. With a CAI, you loose that effect. There's a good reason why nearly every performance based car (Benz, Vette, BMW, Audi) pull air from the upper front hood and grill.

Over the span of 5 years, I tried every intake under the sun on my old VQ30. and with TONS of 1/4 mile passes. The end result was a stock "hacked" airbox with a KN panel filter typically saw .14 quicker ETs and 1.5mph faster traps over the true CAIs and about .1 and 1mph faster than any other style intake (Popcharger, HKS foam, POP with stock resonator, etc). Yeah, I'm a nut for numbers. I've got all this stuff in Excel along with a stack of 200 time slips.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure what your point is in this statement.........
The original topic title, both are the same...crap.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:56 PM
And this is why the Stillen CAI made the most power without loosing some. It is a box like the factory one without all the rough cuts, etc the factory puts in them. It's smooth, has a good heat shield, and you gain power. Yes it has been proven on dynos and 1/4 tests. Do a search.
Dang Son, I have searched. There's NOTHING concerning dyno tests that single out that mod nor 1/4 miles comparing before and after. How many times do I have to say this? What I have found is lots of posts that the Stillen CAI made for crappy driveability, reduced throttle response, lots of noise, and a general lack of lowend torque. Amazingly, this is what owners of other VQ-driven cars describe. The dyno results and 1/4 mile also support their claims about driveability and performance. In the end, the POP-style intakes reduce low rpm power due to turbulent air flow across the MAF during part-throttle situations and maybe 1-3hp is gained in the last 1000rpms of the operating range.

I've seen a ton of pics of the Stillen intake. It's a POS. Intake heatshields are a joke. It's the ambient temp under the hood that's the real issue and a heat shield isn't going to solve that problem. The Stillen intake isn't sealed either therefore you exposure to heat and a loss of that natural pressurization effect.

Old 10-28-2005, 01:07 PM
Premier Member

Contact DaveO for the info I said to search for if you can't do it. Ah, so you take the comments from BrianV as everyone right? LOL. Lot's of posts? I hardly ever see a complaint on the Stillen CAI. LIKE NEVER!!

The Stillen intake is sealed. LOL. It is only exposed to one area, the outside air, not the engine bay like all the other intakes are.

We are still waiting on your so called claims of this now not making hp, oh and the fan mod only making 2-3 hp at the most. Please back your statements up with data.

We will be waiting.

Dang Son, I have searched. There's NOTHING concerning dyno tests that single out that mod nor 1/4 miles comparing before and after. How many times do I have to say this? What I have found is lots of posts that the Stillen CAI made for crappy driveability, reduced throttle response, lots of noise, and a general lack of lowend torque. Amazingly, this is what owners of other VQ-driven cars describe. The dyno results and 1/4 mile also support their claims about driveability and performance. In the end, the POP-style intakes reduce low rpm power due to turbulent air flow across the MAF during part-throttle situations and maybe 1-3hp is gained in the last 1000rpms of the operating range.

I've seen a ton of pics of the Stillen intake. It's a POS. Intake heatshields are a joke. It's the ambient temp under the hood that's the real issue and a heat shield isn't going to solve that problem. The Stillen intake isn't sealed either therefore you exposure to heat and a loss of that natural pressurization effect.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: NISMO CAI Vs. INJEN CAI !!!!!!!!!!!!!