Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)
View Poll Results: NISMO CAI Vs. INJEN CAI ???
NISMO Cold Air Intake
37.35%
INJEN Cold Air Intake
62.65%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

NISMO CAI Vs. INJEN CAI !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Contact DaveO for the info I said to search for if you can't do it. Ah, so you take the comments from BrianV as everyone right? LOL. Lot's of posts? I hardly ever see a complaint on the Stillen CAI. LIKE NEVER!!

The Stillen intake is sealed. LOL. It is only exposed to one area, the outside air, not the engine bay like all the other intakes are.

We are still waiting on your so called claims of this now not making hp, oh and the fan mod only making 2-3 hp at the most. Please back your statements up with data.

We will be waiting.

+1..

Old 10-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Contact DaveO for the info I said to search for if you can't do it. Ah, so you take the comments from BrianV as everyone right? LOL. Lot's of posts? I hardly ever see a complaint on the Stillen CAI. LIKE NEVER!!

The Stillen intake is sealed. LOL. It is only exposed to one area, the outside air, not the engine bay like all the other intakes are.

We are still waiting on your so called claims of this now not making hp, oh and the fan mod only making 2-3 hp at the most. Please back your statements up with data.

We will be waiting.

We'll I've searched using DaveO and some fan-related terms. The end result is DaveO stating that the electric fan upgrade "should" net about 8hp. He stated this is three seperate posts from 03 through 05. Hmmm..."should" and "does" are two completely different things. As for intakes, I dug up his K&N FC, Stillen CAI, stock airbox, midpipe test and the data is so skewed due to varying test temps (65 degrees to 98 degrees) that no one can generate a valid conclusion. Even the readers of the post stated this. As for power, EVERYTHING is referenced to his butt-dyno. That's it. Hardly what I can rock solid evidential proof.

If you really want to see if an intake is making more or less power, it's quite easy to do. Take an OBDII scan tool and data log the timing and air flow (gm/sec). This is all assuming you test under similiar conditions (within 10%) and on the same road and direction. You can also log the intake temp and coolant temp to verify the conditions are similiar. I've done this multiple times on my G and Max. It's not rocket science.

Old 11-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I understand where DaveB is coming from on this. I'm in the market for an intake setup and it hasn't been easy finding convincing data--still searching though.

An alternative to logging all these OBD intake variables which may not be straightforward to interpret, you could just log RPM on a 3rd gear pull and use the spreadsheet I posted here: https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/72591-obd-based-hp-tq-curves.html

You get a nice pretty hp/tq curve to compare like so:

Just make a couple of pulls in both directions to account for wind. Take notes on weather conditions. And average the data. You could even use some basic statistics and come up with some confidence intervals for hp/tq gains.

Originally Posted by DaveB
We'll I've searched using DaveO and some fan-related terms. The end result is DaveO stating that the electric fan upgrade "should" net about 8hp. He stated this is three seperate posts from 03 through 05. Hmmm..."should" and "does" are two completely different things. As for intakes, I dug up his K&N FC, Stillen CAI, stock airbox, midpipe test and the data is so skewed due to varying test temps (65 degrees to 98 degrees) that no one can generate a valid conclusion. Even the readers of the post stated this. As for power, EVERYTHING is referenced to his butt-dyno. That's it. Hardly what I can rock solid evidential proof.

If you really want to see if an intake is making more or less power, it's quite easy to do. Take an OBDII scan tool and data log the timing and air flow (gm/sec). This is all assuming you test under similiar conditions (within 10%) and on the same road and direction. You can also log the intake temp and coolant temp to verify the conditions are similiar. I've done this multiple times on my G and Max. It's not rocket science.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by balaguru
I understand where DaveB is coming from on this. I'm in the market for an intake setup and it hasn't been easy finding convincing data--still searching though.

An alternative to logging all these OBD intake variables which may not be straightforward to interpret, you could just log RPM on a 3rd gear pull and use the spreadsheet I posted here: https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72591

You get a nice pretty hp/tq curve to compare like so:

Just make a couple of pulls in both directions to account for wind. Take notes on weather conditions. And average the data. You could even use some basic statistics and come up with some confidence intervals for hp/tq gains.

balaguru,

It's reassuring there are others out there that are in the same boat as me. Good research and good job with the logging.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:33 AM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Let's look at it from just a practicality standpoint:

1) Intakes aren't going to give you any serious power. They really only change sound. However, the WRONG intake can make you LOSE power.

2) Cold-air intakes are a pain in the a** to change the filter, because they are way down behind the bumper. My AEM intake required me to remove the driver-side wheel to get access to it.

Again, why would someone want a cold-air intake?!?!?!?!?

Old 11-03-2005, 07:11 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Originally Posted by GFN-G35
the injen doesnt make you lose horsepower!

there are 100 dynos all around that prove it gains hp

just do a search

i have it and i love it
If you are gaining any power, it's up top. You will most likely lose low end power.

Old 11-04-2005, 12:19 PM
And this is why the Stillen CAI made the most power without loosing some. It is a box like the factory one without all the rough cuts, etc the factory puts in them. It's smooth, has a good heat shield, and you gain power. Yes it has been proven on dynos and 1/4 tests. Do a search.
Hey Russ,

This data sure seems to agree with the stuff I've read Where's your data?

https://g35driver.com/forums/reviews/73734-dyno-d-stillen-hi-flow-airbox.html

Stillen CAI, no gain

Old 11-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DaveB
Hey Russ,

This data sure seems to agree with the stuff I've read Where's your data?

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73734

Stillen CAI, no gain
I told you where you can find the data and you obviously are too stupid to look.

FYI, There have been dynos in the past UNDER CONTROLLED ENVIROMENT and conditions that showed a gain.

This dyno was not controlled.

Old 11-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This could all be solved if people did multiple runs computed means and standard deviations and did a simple T test or confidence interval. Then you could actually attach a number to your results to show how certain you are about the performance gain (e.g. I'm 95% sure that the performance gain from mod x was 5hp to 6hp). It's not all that hard.

Old 11-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I told you where you can find the data and you obviously are too stupid to look.
Settle down.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:31 PM
I was going to get an "cold air intake" but it seems to me that the stock intake is pretty much a cold air intake from the get. Its in the best position for a stock intake, and to me its not worth $250 for 3hp gain. If you want the sound, it may be worth it, i just got the z-tube and it sounds a lot better. Does anyone know what N/A mod would yield the biggest gains??? From what ive been reading it seems either the upper plenum or the y-pipe. maybe the whole cat back? Do any of the cat backs (stillen) lose power, but gain it up top like some of these intakes? To me it just seems like the G35 engine is at its maximum potential from the factory, unless your willing to go FI. But it is fun to mod! : )

Old 11-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by e-low
I was going to get an "cold air intake" but it seems to me that the stock intake is pretty much a cold air intake from the get. Its in the best position for a stock intake, and to me its not worth $250 for 3hp gain. If you want the sound, it may be worth it, i just got the z-tube and it sounds a lot better.

I'm with ya. The stock layout is very hard to improve on and the stock airbox can flow more than enough air for a NA VQ35. If you want an even sweeter sound, remove the "Power Duct" cover on the front of the airbox.

Old 11-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Triple, please show me where this dyno you speak up.

There was a thread with dynos over on My350...

Originally Posted by hye_G
Dont waste your money on all that jazz. Spend it on the outside until its done, then start working on the inside. Everyone your drive by see's your car, but they dont see whats under your hood.
Were you once a part of the "Civic Nation?"

Old 11-10-2005, 04:33 PM
I wish i never started this thread.

FYI-

I just got a JWT Pop Charger, and Z-Tube. I don't know if there is any power increases however the sound is incredible at peak rpm... It growls all the way from 3000 on... I am glad I purchased the JWT Pop Charger w-heatshield and not the Stillen. THEY ARE THE SAME EXACT THING! Stillen is a lot more money- just for the name. Blah. F*ck that- my pop charger looks just fine in the engine bay. I wanted to go with Injen, but to change the filter and being that I live in CT- the rear of flooding waters and hydro lock turned me away quickly, I don't want to damage a $38,000 car, sorry. OK and aem and nismo are the same and both have a bypass valve which will maybe help your car in flooding waters but, hurts performance indefinitely! No doubt it, it throws off the velocity of the compressed air. Now- that all being said- You will probably get a few HP from an Injen, however if you live in season areas you should get an intake where it is easy to clean and change and which is safely placed in the engine bay- IE: JWT POPCHARGER/ STILLEN + Z-Tube. My car sounds great and I could care less about 1-3 hp change - increase or decrease. My car sounds a lot better, not at clickly, plastic sounding like it used to be stock, and Im happy. Only threw my back about 190 bucks for the z-tube and pop charger and heat shield... Install was very easy. Here... http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...oducts_id=1462

Last edited by Efiniti; 11-10-2005 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:04 AM
Premier Member

I can speak with experience and know that Injen is the way to go.... I was runnin 14.5 at first and after i put the intake on I ran a 14.0... SO IT DOES WORK...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: NISMO CAI Vs. INJEN CAI !!!!!!!!!!!!!