Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Drivability issues with Injen?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 03:16 PM
G SQUAD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Drivability issues with Injen?

Hmmmm, High flow intake that needs a restricted air filter so too much air doesn't get in. Does this sound Bass Ackwards to anyone else but me?

I wouldn't mind getting an intake but with all the problems (even if they dont happen to everyone) until they have a proven problem free design I can't see spending the loot and putting yourself and your car in danger. Please keep us posted though.

Old 08-01-2003, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Injen are bunch of irresponsible mechanics... I have delt with them bunch of times, first of all, they do not have a "Lab" which tests the physics and design of their products... IT IS ALL TRIAL AND ERROR... and guess who are the lab mice for them.... US!
I knew why my 6MT coupe stalls the moment I had the CAI, due to my prior car is a modded 300Z, does the same exact SH*T! TOO MUCH AIR DOES NOT STALL CARS, IT IS THE OPPOSITE! going 90mph and put in neutral and let off the gas, the throttle is closed, and bypass valve is not receving enough air, thus car dies... END OF STORY.. Injen couldn't even figure that out... The honest truth guys..... Injen mechs... are bunch of high school drop outs working from "their" trial-and-error" experiences, do you trust people like that to work on our cars? Expecially our cars is not a typical rice rocket but a newly innovated/designed G35.... My advice guys.... Take our G's to mechanics with an actual degree in mechanics and leave the mickey mouse SH*T alone!

Old 08-01-2003, 07:22 PM

hey GSTYLE
why would the car stall if there is no air coming in @ 85mph?
shouldnt it stall at any and every speed if there is no air coming in?
i think it should be illegal for them to sell any product that causes a problem as serious as this

03 G35 coupe SS (GD) 6spd everything but navi
02 QX4 pearl white
00 528 Silver on black

Old 08-02-2003, 02:37 PM
G SQUAD

It probably will be once someone loses control because of it and gets seriously ingured if not worse. Let's hope it doesn't come to that though.

Old 08-05-2003, 10:03 PM

The Injen CAI intake (RD1992) is working fine now on my G35C 6mt after following the advice of Gsedan35 (thanks again dude). The problem was definitely that the MAF sensor was getting way too much air and with no load on the engine @ 80+mph with the clutch in or shifting in neutral, would produce an extreme lean condition that the ECU couldn't keep up with the adjustments and would cause the engine to stall. The engine will not stall if you leave the foam padding in place in the bumper to prevent the rush of cold air from getting to the filter.
Pics and install tips can be seen here...
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289479299

Injen claims they will be changing their installation instructions with this update, but just in case they don't, now you know what to do. They probably will continue working on fixing it so it can get cold air without stalling, but until they figure it out, this will work.

Obviously, it's a little less powerful now it's not getting the rush of cold air, but it's definitely worth the tradeoff for peace of mind that the engine won't stall. I'm guessing about a 3-4hp difference between the two, but my butt dyno is not calibrated too well. The sound is better now IMHO as before it seemed like the intake was going to rip apart around 6000rpm, but now the sound seems more linear and it's still much more aggressive than stock and you still will get pinned back a bit in your seat in 1st & 2nd gears, so it definitely still works.

Hope this helps others that are interested in the Injen intake and are afraid of risking safety...after all I went through with Injen, I would still recommend the intake. I love the sound, look & performance that I get with this intake and the most important thing is now it's safe to drive.

That's my $.02

'03.5 6MT Coupe | Caribbean Blue w/ Graphite | Prem. | Nav. | Aero |Hardwired V1 | Alum. Pedals | Injen CAI | Insaneanime's Grounding Kit | 15% tint all around

Old 08-06-2003, 01:41 PM

I'm thinking that Injen dropped the ball on this completely and I'm totally turned off by there products now...I'm going wuth the AEM 350Z CAI and no longer will be using the Injen Super SES...Any exhaust system I choose now I'll just have customized like the Injen system to fit...

Old 08-07-2003, 10:18 PM
jcv
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A long, shiny aluminum tube with conical air filter, many tuners immediate answer to performance, does not make an engineered intake system as some people are finding out. Dyno runs DO NOT take into account all situations you may encounter in normal or performance driving on the road. This is especially true with OBDII cars.

Old 08-08-2003, 11:41 AM

I now have a Injen CAI and Injen Super SES Exhaust installed on my 6MT Coupe, and no more problem with stalling. Prior to the exhaust install I was having the issue, but after the exhaust has been installed, it does not stall anymore.

Old 08-08-2003, 01:06 PM

Interesting you mention this, as I was contemplating this exact scenario last night. Perhaps the ECU tries to compensate a lean condition on the same curve with air coming in and going out, and so the stalling is eliminated as with an exhaust that's less restrictive than the stock...interesting.

I did alot of back and forth adjusting with my Injen CAI before I got it to stop stalling, by restricting it on breathing any open air. I think I will definitely shoot for getting an exhaust next to see if I can then go back to letting the intake breathe open air as it was intended.

Has Injen released their Super SES exhaust yet, or are you one of the betas? It's a toss-up for me as to spend the extra money on the Stillen or stick with Injen.

How about some pics and sound clips???

'03.5 6MT Coupe | Caribbean Blue w/ Graphite | Prem. | Nav. | Aero |Hardwired V1 | Alum. Pedals | Injen CAI | Insaneanime's Grounding Kit | 15% tint all around

Old 08-08-2003, 02:06 PM

Injen Tech was kind enough to let me be the first to test their Super SES exhaust on a 6mt coupe.. The dyno test was very impressive(better than the Borla, Stillen, RSR, and Nismo) and I love the looks and the deep exhaust note.. I am at work right now but lunch time I will take some pics and post it..

Old 08-08-2003, 07:41 PM

just took couple quick snaps, kind of crappy angle but just wanted to show you guys... This is really a well designed exhaust, right after it was installed I instantly felt the performance gain at all RPM range... really a great exhaust system..

85062-rear view.jpg

Old 08-08-2003, 07:42 PM

another..

85064-rear wide.JPG

Old 08-08-2003, 07:42 PM

finally..

85065-side.jpg